Forums

Have you noticed Padraig's glasses

• 347 points

I was surprised to see Padraig Harrington wearing glasses at the Valero.  I tried to wear glasses while playing golf for 3-4 years and then stopped the practice after I forgot them one day and played 5+ shots better than I had been playing.  I found they affected my swing as the ball always seemed to be close to my knees.  I also had a minor distortion with my peripheral vision as I prepared to putt.

Padraig and his optometrist must have had a premonition that this change could hurt his career as they prepared seven pairs of glasses with different frames and lenses for his first tournament.  When interviewed, Padraig said, "These glasses are pair number five.  I also have [numbers] six and seven with me this week.  They're all different frames and lenses.  These are a little bit shorter and the *** is a bit long, but they seem to be winning."

•  

Have noticed that he has been wearing them for a while, certainly all this year I would say.

• 3539 points

I noticed them too...I wear sunglasses most of the time when I play but, it seems odd to wear corrective glasses with laser surgery and contact technology now. I guess whatever works.

• 4617 points

He may be new to glasses generally and so hasn't yet made the move to contacts. His eyes may not be ideal for contacts or laser correction....

• 3852 points

shawks11
    I noticed them too...I wear sunglasses most of the time when I play but, it seems odd to wear corrective glasses with laser surgery and contact technology now. I guess whatever works.

Some of us prefer glasses, don't want contacts touching the eye and don't want the risk that comes with surgery. Nothing at all odd about it. Millions wear glasses and have for decades, preferring them over anything else.

•  

I always wear sunglasses on the course with a prescription.  Always get them made for golf from peak vision, tifosi, boll, etc.

I like the dual zone lenses.  But it always takes one or two rounds to get use to playing with them.  Looking down can be an issue walking with a new prescription.  Also have a pair with yellow lenses for dark and rainy days.

• 2781 points

I tried to wear glasses a few times but I couldn't stand the feeling. I wear my contacts all the time. I haven't tried prescription sunglasses yet my buddy swears by them.

•  

Some of us don't have much of a choice.  I wear trifocals when I play and have done so for several years.  It took a little while to become accustomed to using the middle zone but it's the one in which the ball is in focus when I address it for any stroke.  It works well for putting, because I simply line up that zone with my line and putt along it (as best I can).  My sunglasses are also trifocals, so the only change is the polarization in those.

•  

I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE ALL OF YOU TO WEAR SUNGLASSES ON THE COURSE.

I JUST HAD MY 3RD SURGERY ON MY LEFT EYE TO REPAIR SUN DAMAGE.  You can't get new ones at Walmart.

•  

I agree with you bob although I haven't had 3 surgeries on my eyes but I will even wear sunglasses if it is sunny, cloudy, rainy, or snowing for 2 reasons 1) protection of my eyes and 2) I just like wearing my sunglasses. I may look stupid but that is the way I am

•  

Last few weeks I pick that up too.  Did he ever wear contacts?

• 2781 points

NCBob
    I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE ALL OF YOU TO WEAR SUNGLASSES ON THE COURSE.

I JUST HAD MY 3RD SURGERY ON MY LEFT EYE TO REPAIR SUN DAMAGE.  You can't get new ones at Walmart.

Couldn't agree with you more.  I actually got "sunburn" on my eyes (or that's how they described it to me) when I was in the Dominican Republic one time so I definitely know the importance of a good pair of sunglasses!

• 251 points

I wear glasses and have since I was in my late teens, contacts didn’t work playing football (soccer) I kept losing one. I have since always worn them, then last year I was chipping out of a deep fairway bunker and the ball caught the upper lip on the bunker wall and came back and hit me in the face, had I not had my glasses on I would have been hit in the eye, the glasses were destroyed. As it was I had a small cut above my eye from the lens being ejected from the glasses frames. A few minutes with an ice cube on the cut and my spare glasses and we were back on the golf course, not on my way to the hospital. Please always wear eye protection.

•  

I wear perscription sunglasses on the course.     I can see the grain in the green much better,     Being a tennis pro,, they offer way more protection from the sun than contacts.   Oakleys have a prescription clip underneath the M frame glasses.

Works for me.

Deno

•  

I'll wear sunglasses between shots as I walk/ride to my next shot but I have to remove them to hit the shot...I find wearing glasses is difficult for me when playing golf...