Forums

Laird Wins Texas Valero Open

•  

Exciting, and unexpected, finish to the Valero today in San Antonio.  Martin Laird came from nowhere to shoot 63 and win by two over McIlroy and three tied for third.  Furyk's eagle on 18, followed by birdies by both Horschel and Hoffman were a fitting end to the tourney.  Congratulations to Martin Laird on his upcoming return to the Masters.  Horschel did not quite make it, but he's having a terrific spring on the Tour.  His turn will come.

• 4180 points

That was a blistering 63!  I was actually hoping Furyk would make a run as he's one of my favorites on tour.

Rory's 2nd place finish at least gives him a little momentum but I don't know that his game is entirely there yet and the Master's has always seemed a bit too big for him and I believe that'll still be the case with all of the changes he's had this year (in life and in golf).

•  

Very strong finish indeed.  Glad to see him tear it up, it was fun to watch.

•  

Laird certainly deserved this win.And watching Rory with his new clubs was something else. I had hoped that Horschel was on track to take this one, but he is going to win in the near future the way he is playing now. And speaking of playing well, how about our winner from last weeks tourney, D>. A. Points, who did came in at one under. That is the way of the game.

•  

It was a GREAT tournament & I got to see McIlroy play a few holes. What an exiting 4th day !

•  

Unreal as putt after putt kept falling.

• 2180 points

Lairds putter was on FIRE!!!!! I only got to watch the last 45min or so.. But was glued to the screen to entire time..

• 2781 points

It's fun to watch a player like that dropping putt after putt and to see McIlroy actually playing golf again was fun.

•  

good for him

•  

It was fun to watch!  I saw the re-run on Sunday not knowing who won it.

• 447 points

I had left the Sunday telecast before the final group arrived at the 18th green so I was quite surprised to see Jim Furyk finished at -11 since he was -9 at the tee.  His wedge shot for an eagle was easily the shot of the day with the pin tucked in that corner.  I never saw the shot on any replay on the Golf Channel, so I went online to find it.  Furyk had been playing all the par-5's as layup, 3-shot holes so I knew it wasn't an eagle putt. Here is a link to the 109-yard shot, note Johnny Miller had to back track on his commentary as he predicted Furyk would shoot for a safe spot 15-feet left of the pin:

www.pgatour.com/.../furyk-eagles-no--18-in-round-4-of-valero-texas-open

• 4180 points

Awesome video. and a wonderful shot.  I almost have to wonder if he wasn't aiming for a "safer" shot and the wind pushed it to the right.  Seemed to be fairly stiff.