Forums

Tour advantages: Golf clubs

• 311 points

I look at the "in the bag" part of PGA Tour.com and see all the cool stuff that the tour players get. I am a junior and have a sponsorship with titleist, and  I was ordering some TVD wedges the other day and asked for a raw finish (wish many tour players play with)  and I saw that jason dufner had it on the featured wedge. And they said that I could get anything like that only the stock stuff. I dont like how we (am's), cant get the same stuff as the tour pros? Coments?  

•  

Remember this is the FJ side, so we cannot speak for Titleist.

Are you sure it was a TVD  that Duf was playing? From what I gather more Tour players use stock Vokey's then TVD's.  They get custom stamping on stock head to make it more their own.  

Plus, Vokey has 21 options of Oil Can SM4's, which is essentially "raw".   What loft are you looking for?

•  

honestly, i would like to have the exact stuff the pros have, i understand that's not always possible.  some players play clubs that are made just for them with a companies logo on it.  all the company want is to be able to say the person plays their product (even if it really isn't their product).

and like Devin said, get the Oil Can finish.  they are basically raw, and from what i've heard, it's easy to strip the finish off of them to make them truly raw.

• 311 points

54* with 4* of bounce and 60 with 88 of bounce.. they said they could only give me stock TVDs..

•  

Look at Devin go. Trying his best to respond to a Titleist Vokey question.  No one better!

•  

Pros swing clubs fitted for them and built for specific types of courses.  My advice is to get fit and find set that you are comfortable with and stick to them.  I love my TVD's, but they are not for everyone.

TT

•  

Tim is right, TVDs are not for everyone, and I am sure what's in my bag wouldn't work for you Willy. For the most part we as AM's can play most of what the tour pros are playing but I for one know that I wouldn't be able to hit Dustin Johnson's driver. The shaft and setting he has in his driver would not work for me at all. We have access to many of the shafts, heads, grips, shoes, and accessories the pros do, as long as we have the $$$ for it! Pros play the clubs that give them the best chance to win, so do we. When I put a club in the bag I expect it to help me break par, if it doesnt then I get rid of it.

• 1059 points

I like OUTIGER's advice.....I have a full set of everything Titleist...I went and had everything custom fit and ordered from my Pro Shop. I have such a great relationship with my Pro (who plays and is sponsored by Tay.....) but he still gets me everything I need and steers me in the right direction.  Get fit, get good professional advice, and when you turn Pro.....you can have it your way..

•  

Within reason Titleist will pretty much make anything you are willing to pay for. IF you ever make it to the Tour then they will actually pay you for giving you what you want. Until then, consult a good clubfitter. It would surprise you how many good players think they want one thing only to find out during a fitting that what they want just doesn't work! From my experience, I have found that the Oil Can wears and plays pretty much the same as a "raw" finish. Personally I have changed from the Oil Can to the Black Nickel and find the feel and spin are the same but they wear much better.

•  

All sound advice from folks like 19 (a Titleist PGA Professional) and Devin (a FJ staffer, and no slouch on course).

The fitting is absolutely the key to finding the right specs for you. That will serve you quite well and give you "your look", not someone elses...

• 2420 points

One thing I suggest to everyone is to get fitted for a putter , my local pro suggested it and it has made a HUGE difference in my game.

According to him half of all amatuers are using putters to long or short for them.

• 4617 points

tee2green is on the money - putter fitting can open up a new frontier on scoring.  And the balance of the comments coming from a deeply experienced group of golfers boils down to each individual is different and so each set of clubs should be built to account for that person. It is only then you will see your true potential blossom. And remember, the finish of wedge is just that, the finish. The finish does inspire confidence, but the lie, shaft, grip, the essential components built for your swing mean a ton more to successful scoring.

•  

tee2green
    One thing I suggest to everyone is to get fitted for a putter , my local pro suggested it and it has made a HUGE difference in my game.

According to him half of all amatuers are using putters to long or short for them.

at the very least, try different options.  for me, putting is such feel, i'm not as worried about "numbers."  i don't care what numbers on a machine tell me, if it doesn't feel right, i won't putt well.  i always used a 35" putter, but found i was more and more comfortable the more i choked down.  i had a 34" putter at home so i put that in the bag and immediately loved it.

•  

WillyD
    54* with 4* of bounce and 60 with 88 of bounce.. they said they could only give me stock TVDs..

You can always take the stock product and have someone grind it for you (just a thought). Just make sure that you get fitted before you get those wedges ground or you will be buying another set.

-ICONs for All

• 609 points

Have heard a soak in cola or vinegar will strip the finish if you still have to have raw.  There are also many club customizing and refurb companies that can probably take care of your request if you can find that loft and lie stock in another finish.