Forums

PGA Tour Pros and Range Balls

• 627 points

Was watching some Youtube videos of pros on the range and was noticing what balls they were hitting.  Found it interesting that some were not hitting the ball that they endorse or play in tournaments.  

So I go tto thinking when a pro goes to a tournament and needs a range session before or after a round to work on his swing, do they bring their own balls to hit or do they just use whatever the tournament provides?

I would think that if it was the latter that might pose some troubles if you were trying to work a particular shot or needed to know just exactly what you were hitting your driver to know whether you could carry a bunker or some other hazard on the course.

Just curious.

•  

At the Tourney's we go to, Doral, BayHill, Quail Hollow, players get their exact ball they will be using in the Tournament.  Alot of sorting! I believe after the tourney balls are often donated to a charity.

•  

Usually you get the ball you endorse/play/ask for. There is an army of people sorting the balls after they are picked and washed. Depending on the event, they are either donated to a charity or given top the host club to do with them as they wish.

• 1979 points

Devin_Gmitter
    At the Tourney's we go to, Doral, BayHill, Quail Hollow, players get their exact ball they will be using in the Tournament.  Alot of sorting! I believe after the tourney balls are often donated to a charity.

You guy's go to Quail? That's a great golf course, and only about 20 min from me!

• 627 points

That is kind of what I figured.  Wouldn't make much sense to trial and dial everything down to gnat's rear-end with your typical range ball.  Though I am sure they get a little better treatment than the typical range ball.

•  

From what I saw at this year's DB Championship there was a bucket with each type of ball nicely sorted and then left to the players to select.

• 3134 points

I also think on the range a lot of the guys are just grooving their swin and not so much worried about the ball their hitting. During their practice rounds thet are definitely hitting their ball so they know what performance to expect.

•  

Trust me, at that level of play they want to hit the ball they are going to actually use on the course. They are doing much more than getting loose. They are looking at ball flights and shaping the ball. A lot of them actually have thier caddies measure shot distance during range sessions.

•  

19hole
    Usually you get the ball you endorse/play/ask for. There is an army of people sorting the balls after they are picked and washed. Depending on the event, they are either donated to a charity or given top the host club to do with them as they wish.

Good to know ... and makes sense when you say it out loud ... but also sounds like a lot of work for some that week.

•  

Wow, I just thought everyone got Titleist ProV...did not realize everyone had their specific ball! That seems incredible!

• 1062 points

Shame they can't have what we have at home....crappy balls!! Better yet, some of the muni Pros need to see what their range balls look like and help us out!

• 3134 points

I go to the Travelers every year here in CT and they always have a table with the balls marked by brand.

•  

yeah....they usually get some young volunteers to sort them and then they have them in buckets or bags sorted by brand and model.  i wish i could have a couple buckets when they are done!

•  

I volunteered last year at the Barclay. They had every brand ball sorted in bags. Players used balls they play. So many players were using ProV1x, they were running out and the players  had to wait for them to be retrieved and sorted. While waiting for the ProV1x, I asked a caddie if it really mattered if his player practiced with a ProV or a ProV1x. He said he plays ProV1x and practices with the same ball. Also the swoosh company shipped in special balls for tiger.

• 787 points

Nice to be a Pro Golfer...hmmm