Forums

VJ Singh - Admits using deer antler spray?!

• 5657 points

This'll be an interesting story to follow. As the baseball world focuses on the latest allegations to surface concerning performance enhancing drugs (PEDs) and NY Yankee Alex Rodriguez, VJ Singh apparently has come out and told the public that he has used some product made from deer antler velvet  - Not sure why, but I imagine the extract of deer antler velvet ( a fuzzy growth that covers the antlers of a deer) has some substance that theoretically helps speed injury recovery. And that substance is banned for use by Tour players.

Apparently admitting to the use of a banned substance is tantamount to a positive drug test (even though I don't believe drug testing is a protocol on the PGA Tour) and thus subject to punishment by the Commissioner.

Drug use in golf - No sport is untouched with the money to be made these days..

•  

Drug use in golf really isn't any different than in society in general. It's a reality and it's out there.

But I won't be spraying any deer stink on me any time soon for any reason......

•  

It may help with back issues, although I think I saw a $figure to the tune of $8k for the spray.  Not sure how many have tried this at one point or another.  I guess without testing for it, there really is no way other than self-policing.  Same process as calling a penalty shot on yourself for inadvertant ball movement.

This one will get interesting.  He just pulled out of the WM Open.

•  

the only time i use that is when i go hunting so i dont see what it is for

•  

Random drug testing is conducted on the Tour.

•  

He admitted to using it and said he did not see the ingredients on the banned substance list.  I really don't see much coming of this.  Just the media making a big deal of it.

TT

•  

OUTIGER
    He admitted to using it and said he did not see the ingredients on the banned substance list.  I really don't see much coming of this.  Just the media making a big deal of it.

TT

I agree. The media are like sharks in a feeding frenzy when they think they have a juicy story. Comes from the reality of finding real stories to print is a hard job. So having one like Singh's fall in their laps is too easy to pass.

•  

the article I read said there was no testing for for that.  Maybe I misunderstood.

•  

i don't see how they can't suspend him.  he admitted to using a banned substance.  open and shut case.  it's unfortunate, but it's the rules.  i think it would severely hurt their drug enforcement policy if they don't.

• 2781 points

Don't you think that he should have contacted the PGA Tour before even using the stuff?  It's not like he is taking a vitamin.  He is taking something that isn't common for people to take.

•  

I am not a big VJ fan. This is sounding like something else that happened in his past.  I think he was wise to withdraw fro the WM could you imagine the ruckus at 16?

• 3852 points

It was defintely stupid for VJ to use the stuff for so long and not ask the Tour about it. And yes, it does take those with a memory back to his cheating scandal back in the 80's. After all that hard work to redeem himself, it's like he forgot and let himself go back to trying to take advantage. The guy dominated for awhile and has a great swing. But this stuff sure isn't going to help his reputation.

•  

Mark Calcavecchia, had endorsed this product. In Aug. 2011, he was told by the PGA Tour, this was on their banned substance list.

He stopped using it and ended his  endorsement deal. I am sure all tour players were made aware of this, at the time.

• 3577 points

According to TGC Singh will be meeting with the comish today........I cannot see anyway Vijay isnt suspended for at least 6 months.

He had to know better.

•  

tee2green
    According to TGC Singh will be meeting with the comish today........I cannot see anyway Vijay isnt suspended for at least 6 months.

He had to know better.

suspension, yes.  but i doubt it will be 6 months.  i'm guessing 2.  i'm thinking he'll be back for The Masters.