Forums

If golf goes Olympic

•  

Ok, so after the long and mixed debate on here about whether or not golf should be an Olympic sport, I want to ask... IF golf DOES go Olympic, what do you think the format would be?

Would it have to be a match play sort of event to keep things fair?  The rules would only allow 2 people from each country to play so that elimates a lot of cinderella stories because players would probably be chosen by world ranking...

•  

I would like to see 4 ball match play. Single elimination. But I think that it will be a standard 4 round medal play event. Far easier to organize and run.

•  

Would it be similar to the World Team Championship (or whatever that competition is called)?  You know, the 2-man event that Tiger hasn't played in since he and Duval won it about 10 years ago.

•  

It would probably have to be some type of match play event.

• 4775 points

I would like to see a 72 hole stroke play event.  Single elimination match play could make for some pretty big upsets.  The cream will rise to the top in stoke play.

•  

I think that match play would be more in line with the Games. It is possible for the fastest swimmer/skater/runner etc to be eliminated in the preliminary qualifing rounds. Golf would be more pressure packed if you couldn't have a poor round and still have the chance to win.

•  

I would assume they would have a slightly modified Ryder Cup format.  I would like to see four-man teams from each country go at it in a Ryder Cup format to determine the winner.  Most points wins!

•  

tim6918

I would assume they would have a slightly modified Ryder Cup format.  I would like to see four-man teams from each country go at it in a Ryder Cup format to determine the winner.  Most points wins!

Keep in mind, they only allow two men from each country.  So, what would that mean for Vijay or Camilo?  I would say it has to be match play as individuals that way the men where they are the only tour player from their country can still compete and possibly win the golf.

•  

It would be appropriate to have golf as an Olympic sport. And liek tohers, I agree that some form of match play would probably be the best. Whether it be 2 or 4 man teams would more than likely be the best format and provide the best avenue of approach.

•  

I think the only two true options would be match play or 72 hole stroke play.

A twist to the stroke play could be elimination per day based on their finish.  Maybe eliminate 20% of the field each day until the final day.  Each round would be a do or die situation.

Thoughts....

•  

whatever the tournament format, i say NO PROS

•  

I think match play should be the format. And then it would be nice to have amateurs only, but frankly, that would bring some angst from the various tours I think.

This one is going to be interesting, beause there will be lots of discussions once the decision is made. It's going to be very interesting.