Forums

2014 Ryder Cup Captain

•  

Easy they don't win

•  

They call him "McWatson" and he will be a very popular man in Scotland 2014 but the US will need to be on top of their game to topple the Euros away.

The Euros are a more cohesive unit in general and they now have great belief that they can win. Also I think it means more to them as they can show Europe and the rest of the world that they are every bit as good or better than the US and by extension the US tour.

•  

I thought this was a great pick.  Mr Watson brings a lot to the table.  He is one of the most respected players ever, experience, and mostly I think he brings that "old school" mentality of we are here to win not just participate.  I think he will be able to put together a great plan to take full advantage of each players  skills, and will be a great mentor to a lot of the younger players.

•  

I'm a tad upset Larry Nelson hasn't been selected. He sure must have said something in the past that infuriated the PGA of America, and they are acting like he doesn't exist.

On the other hand, I agree that picking a Captain more beyond his best playing days is a sound move. I admit Mr Watson still can play and is a wonderful competitor, but picking a Captain in his 40's doesn't make sense anymore. Many guys are still on the Tour and competing at 40, a la DLIII.

So this addition of a more seasoned Captain may now create an opening for Mr Nelson to finally be selected.

•  

i also agree the move to an older captain is appropriate.  we get closer every year to having players who would be considered for captaincy to be able to also make the team.

i think nelson was just bad timing.  he "gave up" the chance in the 90s when he should have had it and then i think they started to think he was too old.  now they are picking an older captain, but i think watson was a better choice at this time.  who knows, he might still get the next one.

•  

Larry Nelson is next after Watson.  He also would be a great captain and will be in line next.

• 3551 points

I like the idea of an older captain, and I'm a big Tom Watson fan. With the traditions of golf, I think an older captain is a better choice just from a respect standpoint. DLIII is a great competitor and deserved to be captain but, with the 40 something's they are ultimately still peers for the players.  Tom Watson is a legend and the fact that he can still be very competitive at 63 years old is amazing and motivational.    

•  

Great feed back throughout this thread....We will see who Watson brings into the Team Leadership Squad, maybe Larry Nelson? Team Player picks may take a different twist as well....The Quiet Lion' s motivation, maturity and skill may  just be the key to creating cohesiveness in Team USA !

•  

I never really thought of the Presidents cup as hurting team USA but I can see your point. I think its another opportunity for team building and to keep the Americans focused on the team game once a year. I also think this time around the Euro team definitely wanted it more. Their play was inspired. They did it for Seve. In 2014 I think Tom will provide the spark and competitive flair the Americans need to out duel the Euros.