Forums

Adam Scott at Australian Open Practices with short putter.

•  

didn't play with it . working on a possible transition back. 

•  

i heard he is planning to switch back and forth for now.  not sure if that's a great idea, but i guess we will see.

•  

I also heard the that current shaft he is trying is adjustable.  Looking at the pics above the left one appears to have some type of a collar just below the grip.  That must be the adjustment peice they were refrering to.

•  

Is it a belly one?

•  

We are going to see a lot different transitions as they get closer to the deadline.  Still think it is a shame that for the sake of a couple thousand professional golfers the rest of the golf world has to make these changes. Most golfers play for the enjoyment of the game, let them have fun. Do away with stupid rules for he average Joe.

• 48 points

from the picture, it looks like he's trying to use the same stance as with the long putter (wide stance, claw grip, very bent over) which I don't think will work well with that style of putter.  it's awkward and I think it will hurt his feel on the greens. hopefully he is also working with a standard short putter as well with a more traditional putting stance and stroke.

•  

i think he will figure it out but i also think it is good for him because now he is learning how to putt differently

• 1495 points

Its not a belly putter its similar in length to matt kuchars putter. I think its best to start working with it now so when the ban does come into effect it wont be a huge blow to his game

•  

NCBob
    We are going to see a lot different transitions as they get closer to the deadline.  Still think it is a shame that for the sake of a couple thousand professional golfers the rest of the golf world has to make these changes. Most golfers play for the enjoyment of the game, let them have fun. Do away with stupid rules for he average Joe.

i tend to agree with that, however, in reality, how many average joes were actually using a belly putter?  i would guess that number is very, very low.

• 1441 points

I would agree with that I tend to play 2-3 times a week and very rarely do I see someone using a belly or long putter.

•  

I don't see them very often when I am coaching...maybe 5 or so at a 10 team tournament. So 5 out of every 50 players or so.

• 5276 points

This is the "Hammy Putter". Would this putter be illegal under the proposed ban? This putter was used for a while by Natalie Gulbis earlier in her career. My thought is it would be legal since there isn't an anchoring arm and the club is affixed only to the hands. I actually have one of these putters in my "collection" and it works pretty well - However, I regularly play with a SC Circa 62 that I absolutely love - Feel is unparalleled...

• 5276 points

Natalie Gulbis using a HammY putter: here's some conversation about her putting techniques and results with a conventional putter and the HammY:

Unusual Putting Stroke

Gulbis began using a hammY brand putter in 2005. The club essentially has two grips. A right-handed player puts her left hand on the top grip and her right on the lower grip. She opens her stance wide, about 45 degrees to the left of the hole, and putts with her hands separated. Gulbis compared the putting technique to a hockey stance. “For me, it takes my hands out of my putting,” she said in 2005. Gulbis used the putting technique during her 2007 Evian Masters victory.

Conventional Technique

After several years of using the hammY, Gulbis returned to a standard putting stroke. In 2012, she told the Golf Channel that she employs a quick pre-shot routine, taking two practice swings and one look at the hole before putting. She’s careful to set the putter square to the target line before taking her stance. Gulbis plays the ball a bit forward in her stance, with her weight shifted slightly toward her front foot. She keeps her head down and uses a straight back-and-forth putting stroke. The only unusual aspect of her putting technique is her grip. Rather than overlapping her right pinkie on her left hand, she places her left index finger over her right hand and points the finger down the shaft. “It’s just something that’s helped me feel comfortable,” she says.

Putting Stats

In 2004, using a conventional putting technique, Gulbis was tied for 53rd on the LPGA Tour in putting, with 1.82 putts per green hit in regulation. In 2006, the first year after switching to the hammY, she lowered her average to 1.77, which was tied for 11th on the tour. In 2011, after she returned to a conventional grip and stance, she finished 33rd at 1.81.