Golf toughest game to stay on top?

Golf toughest game to stay on top?

•  

We all know golf is a very difficult game, who is the biggest would have, could have, should have been on golf?

Chris Patton, US Amature out of Clemson, now a farmer in SC and on Chasing the Dream on Golf Channel.

Jim Hallet, NE Golfer, had several good years, disappeared after a wrist injury,

Clark Boughrous, Last player out of Ohio State to win NCAA, a few good years now gone.

Gabrial Jherbstead, two time winner on tour, now teaching in AZ and FL.

Who  did you follow that is no longer around. I'm sure there are a few others out there that people know about.

•  

was never destined for a #1 ranking.  but i always thought Tommy Tolles would have had a better career.  

• 3551 points

Ty Tryon comes to mind...turned pro at 16, earned his tour card at 17, and signed a big endorsement deal but, never played well on tour.  

•  

How about David Duval, largest drop of all, from #1 to almost done.

•  

Paul G

Reading your initial post, Paul, the first person who came to mind was David Duval.  Even though he already made that #1 spot, I still wonder what happened and why.  I really liked him and his playing.

Not long ago, I just mentioned David Duval's name and why he's not there to a friend.  His response was, (he's not a golfer, but follows sports), "That's because he won The Open".

Well, I just chuckled inside and and paid no mind. . . then he text me a day after with a name, Justin Leonard. . . and a couple others.  Sure enough, those names didn't make anything more after.  Weird, but true.

• 2756 points

shawks11
    Ty Tryon comes to mind...turned pro at 16, earned his tour card at 17, and signed a big endorsement deal but, never played well on tour.

Forgot about Ty...   Lotta hype around the kid and it just never materialized.

Duvall was the first name that came to my mind as well.  World number 1 and the only real threat to Tiger in the late 90's/early 2000's.  Saw David this summer trying to Monday qualify for the US Open in cargo shorts.

•  

Anthony Kim came out of college ready to challenge the world.  A little too much partying and a few injuries later, where is he at?

TT

•  

noeldaof
    Paul G

Reading your initial post, Paul, the first person who came to mind was David Duval.  Even though he already made that #1 spot, I still wonder what happened and why.  I really liked him and his playing.

Not long ago, I just mentioned David Duval's name and why he's not there to a friend.  His response was, (he's not a golfer, but follows sports), "That's because he won The Open".

Well, I just chuckled inside and and paid no mind. . . then he text me a day after with a name, Justin Leonard. . . and a couple others.  Sure enough, those names didn't make anything more after.  Weird, but true.

I believe Duval's back gave him severe problems and then he had vertigo, got married and that was it.

•  

Chip Beck would be a forgotten name shortly after he shot 59 on tour he lost his confidence and went from top contender to can't make a cut virtually over night.

•  

It's a funny game: one can hit 3 poor shots, make a putt and get a par, someone else can hit 5 great shots and make a bogey. All of the above mentioned players still have a great deal of skill, they just can't put it together for an day, 4 day tournament, a week, month, season, in any consistant manner. I bet David Duval can still fire a 63 from time to time but not when it matters, when he needs to.

• 5674 points

Another champion betrayed by his putting yips is Ian Baker Finch - Now a very successful commentator for, ABC golf? It is indeed a fickle game for most everyone  - But there is an enduring group of professionals who go seem to work through those times when their games are lost.  I think of Tiger Woods as the #1 example of "mind over matter"..

I also would say that professional sorts of ALL varieties - golf, tennis, baseball, basketball - just about every pro sport has a tiny percentage of aspirants who actually make it to the "big show" and an even smaller percentage that stay around for any length of time... Perhaps tennis is most akin to golf in this regard since both sports are individual sports and each week the table is reset - everyone on the tour has a chance to win that week...

•  

David Duval comes to mind as a candidate.  Although you still see him make a flash in the pan once in a while, still a big drop from his #1.

•  

pistolpete

Another champion betrayed by his putting yips is Ian Baker Finch - Now a very successful commentator for, ABC golf? It is indeed a fickle game for most everyone  - But there is an enduring group of professionals who go seem to work through those times when their games are lost.  I think of Tiger Woods as the #1 example of "mind over matter"..

I also would say that professional sorts of ALL varieties - golf, tennis, baseball, basketball - just about every pro sport has a tiny percentage of aspirants who actually make it to the "big show" and an even smaller percentage that stay around for any length of time... Perhaps tennis is most akin to golf in this regard since both sports are individual sports and each week the table is reset - everyone on the tour has a chance to win that week...

I believe Ian Baker Finch's problem was the driver, not the putter. Couldn't keep his drives on the planet. Total confidence loss, and everything else.

•  

Rich Beem barely made it on tour, wins a major and yet is gone just as quickly, Hank Kuehne a former u.s amateur champ kig strong never did much on tour though. AK came closing to winning the masters and yet now barely playing.

•  

OUTIGER
    Anthony Kim came out of college ready to challenge the world.  A little too much partying and a few injuries later, where is he at?

TT

i think he will be back.  he got too much success (read - money) too quickly.  but i think injuries actually helped him see what he needed to do.  he's young enough i think he can make a comeback.