Drug Testing?

Drug Testing?

•  

Do you guys think it is necessary to test tour players for use of sterroids or other drugs?  I read an interesting "Golf World" article persuing this exact topic and some of the perspectives were rather intriguing.

I don't necessarily think it's a problem on the PGA Tour but wouldn't think the players would have a problem being tested.  If you have nothing to hide, then why worry about it?  Paul Goydos was quoted saying "There's nothing out there that makes you make more putts". While this is true, if baseball players use it to hit further, why wouldn't some golfers?  I don't think it's an issue on tour but I think it should be tested to keep any players who think they may get away with it from doing it.  Keep golf a gentlemans sport and just show the critics of golf that they don't need drugs to hit the ball a mile.

What do you think?

•  

I think there should be drug testing for all sports.  I don't think anyone should have any unfair advantages.

•  

I am in favor of it. As to Paul Goydos's comment about nothing out there to make more putts, I have to point out that Faldo was taking beta blockers to calm him a bit to help his putting.

I don't think that it is am issue with steroids on Tour, but golf should set the example and do testing. The Tour should also publish the results. Tour players are role models. If they test clean, and I think they all would, let everyone know how clean our sport is.

• 1206 points

I dont think players could play with steroids, but I do beleive the could play using HGH....

quicker recovery times , better endurance....strength without bulk...etc.

PGA Tour should  be the worldwide leader in Testing, the sport is 100% based on integrity and personal responsibility

•  

Steroids are also used to help recover from injury faster, which could be an issue. Not saying that it is. Just putting that out there.

I agree that there should be testing. Didn't Gary Player say something to the effect that he knew for certain that some players were taking performance enhancing drugs when this first came up a couple of years ago?

•  

Roids aren't going to help the short game any, but I am sure that it will help you get the ball out of the thick cabbage.  I would be more concerned about the prescription drugs that calm you down and help you relax.  Those are the drugs that give you an advantage.  You can hit the ball as far as you want, but in the end, you have to put the ball in the hole.

Tim

•  

I agree that they shoul drug test all sports.  I do not think any guys on tour are taking roids but you have to make sure the game is be played the way it should be.

•  

I really like the idea of testing for relaxation products.  I didn't even think about those until now.  I could see that possibly being on tour, but is that something that "testing" will pick up on?  They could always say they have anxiety and have a prescription for it?

I would like to have them post the results and show that although there are some incredibly fit guys on tour, that they do it the right way and that it CAN be done the right way.  A lot of younger kids will see that baseball players and such are taking these drugs to get "huge" and then think it's impossible to do naturally.  I would like to see golf set the standard for this sort of testing and keep the positive image the tour has.

•  

There should be testing, would just make golf even more legit and eliminate any doubt about the players.

•  

I think they should test, I don't think they would find much, doesn't matter how strong or big you are if your swing is awful, but it would eliminate doubt.

• 4775 points

I am in favor of it.  Just another way to show the world that our sport has more integrity than any other out there, IMO.

•  

The Tour needs to test. Make it randon at every event, but make sure that during the season everyone gets tested at least twice. This will remove any thoughts of favoritism for a particular group of players.

•  

drug testing to me is a neccessary evil.  first because sports figures are the role model for our kids, and you know, my favorite golfer or baseball player uses them so its ok, is the statement we hear from oue youth.  without them i won't have a chance to make the team is another. and secondly because we need to keep the playing field level for all players.

i don't like testing, but like i said, i believe it to be a neccessary evil in the sports world today.

•  

It's pathetic that it has come to this.  We all know the greats from the past (Babe Ruth, Johnny Unitas, etc...) didn't use drugs to make themselves better or stronger.  Obviously they are not needed, but it seems like as technology gets better, so do peoples desire.

•  

I think that it is all about money. With so many contracts having performance bonuses built tin there is just to much incentive to try to find an edge. Unfortunately drugs are the quick way to get the edge....