How often do you change your golf ball?

How often do you change your golf ball?

•  

We have all seen it during TV golf. The player walks off agreen and gets a new ball from the caddie. The question is, how often do we mere mortals change the ball during a round?

For me, if it is a practice or casual round I will just play 1 ball unless it becomes damaged. If it is a tournament round I might change it every 6 - 8 holes. Sooner it it becomes damaged.

•  

Same here.  Normal weekend round, then I'll use the same ball unless it becomes damaged.  For a tournament, it just depends on how I'm playing.  If the ball isn't damaged and I'm hitting it good, then I won't change it out.   On the flip side, I read somewhere that a few guys on TOUR will get a new ball after a birdie because they think the ball doesn't have any birdies left in it.  The perks of being a pro golfer...unlimited Pro V1s.

•  

I usually just watch for damage or skuffs during a normal round.  I hit some pretty sharp wedges, so I have a tendency to rip some the covering off my balls from time to time after they have been in play for multiple holes.

If it is tournament, I switch it out every 3 holes no matter what.  Of course, those balls are left in the bag for my casual rounds but I do not want to risk anything during tournament play.

•  

My used balls go to the shag bag for short game practice. You might as well practice with the ball you play with and the used ones are perfect for it.

•  

I have more golf balls than I know what to do with yet I play with it till it has several scuff marks.  Normally after a few good wedge shots with my Vokeys and they are done after that.

•  

The Spin Mill Vokeys are great wedge, but I agree they are really tough on balls. Pro V1x s just don't stand a chance with new SM Vokeys in the bag!

•  

Pretty much the same story here, play it till it has scuffs. If I am playing with my son over 9 holes I may let it get a little beat up because the course we play is rather short (long iron or hybrid and wedge) and I would have to change my ball on every hole.

•  

I always start hole number 1 on a round with a new ball, just for luck. I will stop playing that ball;

when I lose it...

Or when I start another round.

As has been mentioned, I end up with a bag of "scuffs" by the end of the year, and I donate those to our First Tee program.

•  

19hole

We have all seen it during TV golf. The player walks off agreen and gets a new ball from the caddie. The question is, how often do we mere mortals change the ball during a round?

For me, if it is a practice or casual round I will just play 1 ball unless it becomes damaged. If it is a tournament round I might change it every 6 - 8 holes. Sooner it it becomes damaged.

I am with you on this one 19.  I will try and use the same ball as long as I can in a casual round, but in a tourney I will go 6-9 holes depending on how many full wedges I am hitting.  Nothing like pulling out a brand new ProV and cutting it after the first hole LOL!

Tim

•  

Depends on setting, tournaments I'll change after 9 unless the ball is damaged before that.  Practice or "fun" rounds (scrambles...) I'll play with the same ball until it's lost or ridiculously damaged.

•  

WHENEVER IT GOES IN THE WATER

•  

Tar Heel

I always start hole number 1 on a round with a new ball, just for luck. I will stop playing that ball;

when I lose it...

Or when I start another round.

As has been mentioned, I end up with a bag of "scuffs" by the end of the year, and I donate those to our First Tee program.

+1 on the donations... might have to look into that.  I have a laundry basket full of pro V1x's that I will probably never use again. 

•  

I am with you on this one 19.  I will try and use the same ball as long as I can in a casual round, but in a tourney I will go 6-9 holes depending on how many full wedges I am hitting.  Nothing like pulling out a brand new ProV and cutting it after the first hole LOL!

Tim

That seems to happen to you all the time cutting those provs.  I usually try to use the same ball unless I loose it or it becomes damaged alot.

• 1033 points

OK, so we all have different methods for determining when we would change out a ball (except for maybe when it's damaged, then most of us change it out at that point), but at what point does a ball go "dead".  I have noticed that balls from different manufacturers will have different half lives, but how do you really know when the ball has lost its pop without figuring it out the hard way by coming up short when you thought you had the right club to make a carry?

•  

the frequency at hwich i change my golf ball is directly proportional to the length of time it takes to lose it.