swing analyzers

swing analyzers

•  

do you guys use or have any experiences with on course swing analyzers?  i came across two this morning i'm thinking about trying.

www.golfsmith.com/.../swingbyte-golf-swing-analyzer

www.golfsmith.com/.../3bays-gsa-pro-golf-swing-analyzer-for-apple-ios-

they both would interface with my iPhone or iPad and seem to offer a lot of good information.  not expensive, but i don't want to waste the money if they don't work.  any thoughts?

•  

Best swing analyzer I have ever used is my club PGA pro.

•  

NCBob
    Best swing analyzer I have ever used is my club PGA pro.

i agree....but i haven't been able to find one that will come to the range whenever i want and even go with my on my practice rounds.  so when they aren't around......

•  

I would not use any swing analyzer that was based on a smartphone. The data required can't be gathered on the phone and the software used is more power hungrey than most phones can support.

•  

Not sure about this... I am not even a fan of the Trackman which is supposed to be top of the line. It sounds great but IMO the best analyzer is the the two eyes in my head watching the ball flight, the feel off the club, and what I shoot. I have the V1 golf App on my phone and it's okay for watching video of my swing but I think it's a better tool on the Ipad. Just seems like alot of money for something that "may" work.

•  

Nothing is better than a trained set of eyes! Even the big guys use PGA Pros! Over analyze your information without proper instruction will be detrimental.

Fairways, Greens and One Putts!

•  

19hole
    I would not use any swing analyzer that was based on a smartphone. The data required can't be gathered on the phone and the software used is more power hungrey than most phones can support.

i would agree that it won't gather all the data that you really need, but i think it could support the software.  my iphone and ipad are almost as powerful as my desk computer and more powerful than my laptop.

•  

i understand what everyone is saying.  i'm just a "data guy."  I had a swing analyzer when I owned a golf store and got use to 'seeing' my swing.  obviously a PGA pro is better for your swing and nothing replaces feel and ball flight, but i like to know more.  not sure i'm going to give one a try or not, but it's still intriging.

•  

These kind of devices can be useful as a tool, but I wouldn't call them an analyzer. The ability to see the path of the grip and/or clubhead is very good feedback to perhaps confirm what your swing may be doing. This one might be a better unit in that it's lighter and plugs into the butt end of the grip. www.golfsmith.com/.../3bays-gsa-pro-golf-swing-analyzer-for-android- Still, I'd rather have video to see how my body is working the club.

• 4650 points

I would think that Trackman with its wealth of stats would overwhelm most humans - Not sure how to translate some of the data into "adjustments" in one's swing. I think video comparison of your swing with your comments 'Perfect ball! Straight high and far" compared to not such great swings, "Oh my Goodness, that sliced into the next county!"  could show you tendencies/flaws that need work.

In the absence of a good experienced set of eyes and ears, i.e., a PGA pro, this could be the most straightforward way to go...

•  

i think that it is a waste of money when you can do the same thing with your local golf pro

•  

Wheelez3030
    i think that it is a waste of money when you can do the same thing with your local golf pro

i don't know about your pro, but most pros i know charge money.  and after a couple sessions you have spent more at the pro than you did on the swing analyzer.  you will get more from the pro, but if you are basing your opinion solely on price, i think  you need to recalculate things.

•  

tdogg21
    Wheelez3030i think that it is a waste of money when you can do the same thing with your local golf pro

i don't know about your pro, but most pros i know charge money.  and after a couple sessions you have spent more at the pro than you did on the swing analyzer.  you will get more from the pro, but if you are basing your opinion solely on price, i think  you need  to recalculate things.

tdogg21
    Wheelez3030i think that it is a waste of money when you can do the same thing with your local golf pro

i don't know about your pro, but most pros i know charge money.  and after a couple sessions you have spent more at the pro than you did on the swing analyzer.  you will get more from the pro, but if you are basing your opinion solely on price, i think  you need to recalculate things.

tdogg, They are worth it.  The pros at my course will always give you a couple minutes on the practice tee and they love to be invited to play.  Our Head pro and three assistants all do it. I guess it is just a relationship thing.  They even ask me to look at their swings once in a while too.  Every year I will get a tune up lesson or two, going over fundamentals.

It does sound like you want an analyzer.  Go for it, you asked the question but obviously you don't agree with the replies. That is okay you only have to please yourself.

•  

It is not a fair comparision; PGA Pro vs. an on-course cell phone based swing analyzer. The PGA Pro will win every time. I have a Track Man. I have also let people use it on the range. They see all kinds of data and just don't know how to use or interpret it. It is also very dependant on how it is used. I have seen data that people have collected and then I have colected data from the same player. Mine is tiotally different. You must know how to setup and use a swing analyzer for the data to be meaningful.

Even if you can get some useful data from a portable "analyzer", most people will not know haow to use it to make either swing or club adjustments. We see it all of the time with adjustable drivers. A member keeps moving the adjustment to try to correct his ball flight until he gets it to a point where he just can't get the ball in play. We put it back to the original seting and watch a few swings. A small correct in the swing/setup is suggested and the problem is usually solved.

Most of us that have been teaching for a long period of time can pretty much fix you swing or fit your club without the analyzer. It comes from experience and knowledge of the mechanics of the golf swing.

See your PGA Professional, your game will be better for it!

•  

I must agree with Rick - it takes expertise to run an analyzer  and you will be better off seeing your pro, so long as the pro knows what they are doing. (Rick is one that does).