need new irons

need new irons

•  

So i've decided the time has come to replace my irons.  i've had the same set for 15 years and i know i would get more out of a new set.  but i'm not sure which set to go with.  i'm looking at Pings, Callaways, and (after seeing a lot them at the FJA event) titleist.  any recommendations?

i know i need to get out and try them, but unfortunately that's not  so easy around my area.  no stores and a lot of the courses don't have much in stock and aren't big on allowing demo sets go out.  so i need to do as much research as i can before going to a store so i don't waste what little time i will have there.

•  

I would recommend the titleist AP1 or AP2s. the AP1 is a cavity back and the AP2 is forged but they are both really good clubs

•  

I would recommend a set of Titleists. You can go here to find a fitting place near you www.titleist.com/golf-club-fitting.

•  

I'm a PING guy myself, much to the chagrin of my friend Mr. Rick.... Maybe one day.....

•  

Tyler Higley
    I would recommend a set of Titleists. You can go here to find a fitting place near you www.titleist.com/golf-club-fitting.

thanks for the link.  unfortunately, not a lot near me.  a few have the SureFit Bag, but that's about it.  and it seems that's not really the best.  about 2 hours to the closest fitter.

•  

i wish more companies would do 'free' fittings.  i found a place that is suppose to be great at doing a very thorough fitting, but it was something like $250 just to have the irons fitted.  that's just too much for me.

•  

Hey tdogg, do you have some rough guidelines for what you might be looking for. Cast, forged, better player, or game improvement, thin top line, little offset, or something else. For instance, I don't like a thick top line or a lot of offset, which eliminates many clubs from the competition.

•  

Whatever you do, please get fit! But I love Titleist!

•  

The Titleist AP1 and AP2 are both very solid irons. The biggest difference that you will find between them is the amount of offset, with the AP1 having a bit more. The top line of the AP2 is also a bit thinner. Without doing a fitting, I would usually start a higher handicap player with the AP1 as that is really the "player improvement" club in the Titleist line. If the player was a bit stronger and in the 10 - 18 handicap range I would look at the AP2.

I you are an more accomplished player, say 5 - 14 handicap and like the look of a more traditional forged club then the CB is where to look. For the very accomplished player, the MB forged blade may work.

There are also a number of ways to "split" your set to get the best of both worlds; playability and forgiveness. I have someone that plays a split set of 4,5, and 6 in the AP2 and 7,8,9, and W in the CB. Devind and I both play 4,5, and 6 in the CB and 7,8,9, and W in the MB.

Find a fitter, most a pretty reasonable especially if you order the clubs from them. You fitter, along with your PGA Professional, will become your best friends on your way to game improvement.

•  

The Titleist AP1 and AP2 are both very solid irons. The biggest difference that you will find between them is the amount of offset, with the AP1 having a bit more. The top line of the AP2 is also a bit thinner. Without doing a fitting, I would usually start a higher handicap player with the AP1 as that is really the "player improvement" club in the Titleist line. If the player was a bit stronger and in the 10 - 18 handicap range I would look at the AP2.

I you are an more accomplished player, say 5 - 14 handicap and like the look of a more traditional forged club then the CB is where to look. For the very accomplished player, the MB forged blade may work.

There are also a number of ways to "split" your set to get the best of both worlds; playability and forgiveness. I have someone that plays a split set of 4,5, and 6 in the AP2 and 7,8,9, and W in the CB. Devind and I both play 4,5, and 6 in the CB and 7,8,9, and W in the MB.

Find a fitter, most a pretty reasonable especially if you order the clubs from them. You fitter, along with your PGA Professional, will become your best friends on your way to game improvement.

•  

•  

There are also a number of ways to "split" your set to get the best of both worlds; playability and forgiveness. I have someone that plays a split set of 4,5, and 6 in the AP2 and 7,8,9, and W in the CB. Devin and I both play 4,5, and 6 in the CB and 7,8,9, and W in the MB.

•  

I love my AP2's but I'm a Titleist junkie.  If you're planning on playing a lot of golf take the time to get fit.  It may be a hike for you, but you won't regret it.  I think clubs are an investment.  Golf takes up $ and time, so invest a little time and money now and you'll enjoy yourself a lot more on the course later on

•  

joshgiano
    I love my AP2's but I'm a Titleist junkie.  If you're planning on playing a lot of golf take the time to get fit.  It may be a hike for you, but you won't regret it.  I think clubs are an investment.  Golf takes up $ and time, so invest a little time and money now and you'll enjoy yourself a lot more on the course later on

I think what Josh is saying is, in other words, it would be a great favor to you and beneficial for your game. . . and I couldn't agree more.

•  

Josh is dead on.  I went from MB's to AP2's.  Love the forgiveness of the AP2's.  Get fit and buy the right sticks for your game.

TT