Community Only : 2012 - 2013 FJ Sport Sweespstakes

Community Only : 2012 - 2013 FJ Sport Sweespstakes

• 201 points

Getting to play with my dad in our mens association tournament and winning before he lost his battle with cancer.  That was truly a walk to remember.

•  

The most memerable round for me took place last year.  I played with my Dad (65), my grandfather (91), and my son (9).  It was certainly a special moment for me and I am glad my son had a chance to play with his great-grandfather.  At age 9, it was a special moment for him as I listened to some of the questions he asked both my Dad and Grandfather.  The only thing I regret is that I did not record the day.  It was very special and will NOT be forgotten.

We all played nine holes and it was told after the round that is was the 1st time in my club's history that 4 genterations all played together.  Our course open in 1902, so I guess that would be pretty significant.

•  

For me, it would have to be my last competitive round in high school.  Not for some amazing feat of greatness or anything; but for how I choked away my spot on the region and state team.  I couldn't handle how I played the last couple of holes coming in.  I felt completely alone on the golf course.  It was officially my worst tournament round in high shool golf and ended up being my last.

The reason why it was memorable for me was on that very day, I realized that golf was meant to be enjoyed; no matter how horrible one is playing.  I wish I had played better, but as a man I felt like I grew up a little bit that day.  I always think back on that day in 2006 and thank the golf Gods for allowing me to blow up like that.  Now, I have a true love for the game, the industry, and most importantly, the people who share the same passion as I.

Like life, golf is no walk in the park (or fairway!) but its the lessons that the game teaches us that help carve who we are as people. Amazing contest idea, Devin!

• 396 points

My best memory was at TPC Highlands when I was 15. I wanted to volunteer. Now, normally kids who volunteered for golf events were given a pretty easy job like being a sign bearer -- pretty easy but still out with the pros. But, for some amazing reason the Volunteer Committee made me a caddy for the Pro-Am; and sure enough, I'm caddying for Tom Pernice Jr. 

Picture a little skinny girl, absolutely swimming in caddy bib, carrying a big 'ol staff bag for 18 holes in the summer heat. I don't think Tom was expecting it...nor was anyone else. People laughed and took pictures the whole round haha... But I had a great time.

And on the last hole we ran in to Bill Murray's group. As many of you know, Bill's hilarious. He shanks his drive in to a fenced in corporate tent, which proved to be an extension of the rough and no obstacle for Bill. Naturally, the tables and chairs in the tent were movable objects so Bill had people clear the area so he could hit from inside the tent, over the fence, and magically back in to the fairway, all while doning an awesome bucket hat.

Needless to say, it was a pretty epic round.

A couple years later, I was a sign bearer for Tom Pernice Jr at Harbortown in Hilton Head. I guess he doesn't have tiny teenagers lugging his staff bag around very often, because he remembered me. Haha It was a good time.

• 396 points

dzabkar

For me, it would have to be my last competitive round in high school.  Not for some amazing feat of greatness or anything; but for how I choked away my spot on the region and state team.  I couldn't handle how I played the last couple of holes coming in.  I felt completely alone on the golf course.  It was officially my worst tournament round in high shool golf and ended up being my last.

The reason why it was memorable for me was on that very day, I realized that golf was meant to be enjoyed; no matter how horrible one is playing.  I wish I had played better, but as a man I felt like I grew up a little bit that day.  I always think back on that day in 2006 and thank the golf Gods for allowing me to blow up like that.  Now, I have a true love for the game, the industry, and most importantly, the people who share the same passion as I.

Like life, golf is no walk in the park (or fairway!) but its the lessons that the game teaches us that help carve who we are as people. Amazing contest idea, Devin!

DJ -- You're so emotional

•  

I played Kukuiolono Golf Course in Kauai. It's the cheap kind of hidden locals only course in the Island. My best friend from college flew out from from to be my best man in my wedding. We played and drank and had a great time, my finance drove the cart. The 9th is par 5 466 into the wind. I hit my second shot on the green to 4 feet. Roll up, knock down the eagle putt. The grounds crew and friends are hanging out and yelling at my great shot  and putt. They call me over, we chat for a minute and they ask what we are doing on the Island. I tell them here to get married and this is my best man. One guy just says wait here. He came back with with three tickets to the Grand slam PGA golf tournament at Poipu, gave them to us and said these are your wedding gift. I Just met him but the island spirit is Awesome and he just felt like sharing. 

I am glad the golf tournament was after the wedding, because I forgot my hat and head burned so bad it was almost purple. 

• 396 points

Awesome story, Randy!

•  

The best and most inspirational moment I had this year wasn't on the course, it was at the driving range. I was having trouble with my long irons and i was getting pretty upset. A guy walked up to the mat behind me and I noticed he only had one leg. He had a metal prosthetic left leg. He told he lost his leg while over seas defending our great nation. He also told me "I saw you getting upset with your swing, Just take a deep breth and relax". To make a long story short , we had a great day at the range and I made a new friend. He couldn't make a normal swing and rotate his body because of the left leg prosthetic. His swing was all alms and sholders but, he made good contact with the ball and it went streight as an arrow every time. He really lifted my spirits that day and I am thankful we got to meet and spend some time together.

• 2947 points

My most memorable walk.
    After literally dying, followed by an 8-day coma, a month plus in ICU, 3 more months in hospital and a couple months in rehab, I was finally OK'd to walk with special shoes and two canes. I swore I would play golf again, and 6 months later played 9 holes on a cart in my special shoes. A month later another 9 with cart. Then winter.
    The following spring I again played a few rounds with a cart.
    Then in late-summer, I went out to a fairly easy, relatively flat 18 holer with three really good friends who said they would carry me in if I couldn't walk the course. (I knew they would call the pro shop to have a cart sent out, but it was really nice to hear). Also had my DryJoys saddles that I hadn't been able to wear for a long time.
    It was a major chore and hurt a bit over the last few holes, but it was absolutely my most memorable and proud walk.
    Now, a year later, I walk 18 regularly, at most of the courses I used to play. The handicap is back to about 16 now (it was 11 before the nasty stuff and felt like 800 when first back after the medical problems).
    I'm also back to the 19th for post-round chat, laughs, sports on TV and a few beers with my golf buddies.
    I cannot be more thankful.

•  

My most memorable walk would have to be my first win as a junior and the feeling I had walking off the 18th green knowing I had just won and did it with a personal best (at the time) 73. It was such a fulfilling feeling that all the balls I pounded and rounds I had practiced and played up to that moment were all worth it, showed me that hard work does pay off.

• 1563 points

I've had a lot of great walks on the golf course but the best I think was when 3 generations of my family played in a foursome together a couple of years ago.  We all played well and walking/riding up the 18th everyone had a  huge smiles on their face.  

• 6 points

Easily has to be the first round this past summer with my oldest daughter (10).  She was a trooper and insisted on carrying her own bag.  It was humid evening with chance of storms.  On the 6th hole it was looking really bad and as I putted out my daughter sees lightning.  As I look around a large bolt followed by a clap of thunder which sent her jumping a foot in the air.  I proceeded to mention never play around with bad weather and tried to remain calm but was ready to get into the clubhouse.  We hustled to the clubhouse and had sport drink.  After a 20 minute wait it cleared out and was a beautiful cool evening.  She was determined to finish the nine and was great about toughing it out.  A fun evening and hopefully the first of many rounds with my kids.

•  

Welcome to the community !!! thanks for sharing your story.

• 384 points

My most memorable moments, walking, in golf are any of the many times, when I first started playing, when my wife used to follow, pushing my first son along with us in his stroller.  This was 16 years ago, yet seems like yesterday.  In fact, all of my greatest golf memories involve walking.  Whether it be the way a foresome leaves the tee together and then spreads out to go to there ball, before converging back together on the green, or the footprints in the dew covered fairway early in the morning.

• 2377 points

the most memorable walk was difficult to describe as i considered my first and only hole in one where after watching the ball bounce once then roll in the hole then walking up the fairway only to have the spotter ( it was an event where the prize was a set of clubs) walk over and remove my ball from the cup thus depriving me of that joyous feeling of retrieving my own ball.  the other option was the first time I played with my son in our clubs invitational and the pride i felt in being able to jointly compete together.  It bought back memories of when we played in the father - son event as part of our clubs junior program when he first began golf and he was maybe 10 years old.  the joy of being able to share golf with him.  I would have to say that the latter would have to be the most enjoyable, most memorable walk down the course.