How bout this Handicap drop 15 to a 7 in a month...

How bout this Handicap drop 15 to a 7 in a month...

• 832 points

My younger brother (21 years old) is just getting into the game this is his 2nd year playing golf, and he did something between June and July that I have never seen before he dropped 8 shots in a month! He was a great athlete so the game kind of came easy, but 8 shots in a month! I changed one little thing in his swing and his game just took off. I would not be surpised if by the end of summer he is a scratch. So if you hear the last name SinClair in a tour event in the next ten years thats my bro. Hes dumb enough and cocky enough to do it. 

•  

Haha, that's awesome! Congratulations to him (and you for being a good coach).

•  

Good for him. Every stoke from 7 to scratch is very hard though.  good luck

•  

We (Australia) moved to the USGA handicapping system - well hybrid system anyway - at the beginning of 2010.

Apparently this was done to simplify "things", enable electronic delivery and save costs of administering the previous handicap system.

Anyway it was determined that all our courses had to be rated with a slope index (never used previously) which would take considerable amount of time.

In the interim our courses were rated based on difficulty (isn't that the same as slope?)and that is the current basis of your daily result 72(score) - 72(rating) = 0 so you played to 0 when you shot 72 and from there it is your best 8 scores from last 20 rounds .. with the 20th round always replaced by the most recent.

Understand this is basically how your sytem works as well with our rating replaced by the slope rating ... but not entirley sure?

So .. after this was introduced many mid to low dropped a shot or two and high seemed to add a shot or two which was the exact opposite of the effect desired .. I think.

Anyway now it's vitually impossible to win anything playing on mid to low single figures unless you absolutely shoot the lights out .. but ... there are now alot more scratch 1, 2 handicapped golfers over here than there were before.

So back to point .. this system allows a dramatic drop if you have a period where you string some really good rounds together.

OZ-Crocman

•  

That's pretty impressive -  must be playing at least 3 or 4 times a week.  I would also guess that his short game improved by leaps and bounds.

•  

wow.  that's impressive.  but the next 7 strokes are going to be the hardest.  good luck to him!

•  

Great improvement from a 15 to a 7.  Once you get into single digits, it's harder to make any dramatic jumps like that.

•  

After 10 the numbers get harder to reduce, well played

•  

What the fellas say is true.  Single digit handicap is hard to lower or raise for that matter.

That is an impressive feat though.

TT

•  
    Just WOW
  •  

thats impressive...wish him luck on achieving his goals...

• 832 points

Ya I told him he needs to work 10 times harder to get any lower. Lucky for him his job allows him to golf 7 days a week and hes got a great head on his shoulders so I think he can do it. Thanks for all the congrats men.