Golf as a Business Development Tool

Golf as a Business Development Tool

• 806 points

FJ Community,

I have recently added Golf as a Business Development Tool.

Wanting to gain valuable experiance on when to ask questions and close the deal.

I am a services company providing Aircraft Engineering, Courseware Development and IT services.

It is difficult for me, as i play golf pretty much in the silent mode. I have been of 4 outings so far with potential customers and have waited untill we are finished prior to discussing the work part.

What are you experts advising???

• 3627 points

Striker Wright

FJ Community,

I have recently added Golf as a Business Development Tool.

Wanting to gain valuable experiance on when to ask questions and close the deal.

I am a services company providing Aircraft Engineering, Courseware Development and IT services.

It is difficult for me, as i play golf pretty much in the silent mode. I have been of 4 outings so far with potential customers and have waited untill we are finished prior to discussing the work part.

What are you experts advising???

Don't overdo it trying to "close the deal" on a golf course. Just play golf and get to know the customer you're playing with. It's called developing a relationship. Try not to make his/her day miserable cornering them in a golf cart trying to get them to agree to do business with you.

• 2860 points

Having spent many years playing business golf  which has resulted in some solid business relationships I can tell you that the golf course was strictly a place to build a social relationship and usually resulted in a positive  (and long lasting)business relationship. No business was ever discussed while playing. The follow up in the days following golf addressed business.

•  
    I agree with you pat you first need to become friends and the more you have the better your business will be because they can trust you and will continue to come back
  •  

i would recommend the golf course being a place you get 'closer' to the client and earn trust.  if it comes up, that's one thing.  but i wouldn't push it.  wait until at least after to talk about business.  but at the same time, if you are the one paying for the golf as a business expense, they have to expect to hear something business.

•  

The 19th hole has always been the best place to discuss business.  Just have fun, and if it comes up during the round, don't shy away.  If it doesn't come up during the round bring it up over a beverage and a burger at the 19th.

•  

I try and play and just enjoy my time.  Let the client take the lead on the course, then ask for the order when it is done.  I like a soft close when I am using golf as a relationship medium.

• 2180 points

joshgiano

The 19th hole has always been the best place to discuss business.  Just have fun, and if it comes up during the round, don't shy away.  If it doesn't come up during the round bring it up over a beverage and a burger at the 19th.

Exactly.. 19th hole is for business.. whether is discussing an actual business relationship or collecting bets from your buddies :D 

However, if you are taking a potential client on a golf outing and business happens to be mentioned. Don't shy away from it, for most people it is a sign they are open and willing to talk and wouldn't bring it up if not interested in what you have to say. 

•  
    Ask Tim. All he does is golf with "clients". Tool.
    • 3066 points

Hi,

I just joined the community tonight, so hello to all!

I was often the recipient of the round of golf being used as a business tool. I agree with the other posters: leave the business until after the round. Enjoy the day and develop a personal relationship. I never liked being talked to about business while trying to focus on my game. If you haven't noticed, you learn a lot about a person by their deportment during a round of golf. Work on your on course skills (etiquette and social) and leave the business for the after round activities, be it lunch, cocktails or dinner.

Good Luck!

•  

I agree with the group. Just have fun playing golf and don't force the deal.  If it comes up then it comes up, but just dont try to hard to make it happen.

•  

Enjoy golf and the outdoors for what it is.  There will be discussions that arise over the course of 3+ hours that will allow for those discussions.  The last thing you want to do is be pushy on the course, create a bad atsmophere, and lose a customer in the long run.

It may take more than one round if you have found a customer who enjoys golf.  This is not a bad thing for either of you and will form a bond or trust.

Good luck

•  

parthur

Hi,

I just joined the community tonight, so hello to all!

I was often the recipient of the round of golf being used as a business tool. I agree with the other posters: leave the business until after the round. Enjoy the day and develop a personal relationship. I never liked being talked to about business while trying to focus on my game. If you haven't noticed, you learn a lot about a person by their deportment during a round of golf. Work on your on course skills (etiquette and social) and leave the business for the after round activities, be it lunch, cocktails or dinner.

Good Luck!

Well Stated PARTHUR!!!

Welcome to the FJC!

I concur that over the years of playing golf with business associates, it was always the time for building the relationship. Now and again there was some discussion of business but very little as there is a time for relaxing and a time for business.

-ICONs for ALL