Putting Drills/Practice Methods

Putting Drills/Practice Methods

• 1495 points

Alright golf fanatics, interested in hearing what everyones practice methods are. Unique drills or anything that people do to work on their putting?  Excited to hear what people have to say on this topic!

• 3627 points

Just putt...a lot. The problem with most is that they don't realize that putting is all muscle memory found through repetition. There are no magic putting drills. Just get a putter in your hands and hit a ton of putts. I try to work on putting mechanics in the winter...hitting a ton of straight 3, 5, and 10 footers in the basement. In the summer it's more repetition but it's more about developing feel for different lengths and breaks.

•  
    Putting practice can get a bit boring sometimes, two things that I do are: if I want to work on my stroke, find a part of the practice green that has a straight putt, next take a chalk line and strike a 10-15 ft line, and then just practice hitting putts down the line, it will give you instant feedback one your putter path and also help train your eyes to seeing the line you want o hit, second is more of a game, best if played with someone else but you can play by yourself, it's called take back, pick a good distance putt, if your first putt is past the hole but within the length of your putter, you hit your next putt from that spot, however if you are short of the hole or outside your putter length, than you have to move your ball back a putter length for your next putt, this does a few things, it helps you practice to eliminate 3 putts, and it makes yo practice a lot of 6,7,8 ft putts if you don't make a good first putt, play 18 "holes" par being 36 if you can get to par or under you are doing really well.
    • 1781 points

I like to play games around the green.  Dave Pelz has a few in his books.  One that I like goes as follows: player 1 putts, if he/she gets within a target area (for pelz, 18 beyond the hole, player holes out.  2nd player follows.  if he /she doesn't get in target zone, he/she draws i back 1 putter length, then holes out.  Low score wins a mark.  Ties carry over.

If palyer 1 makes 1st putt, he wins two marks.  if player 2 makes it on top of player 1, then 5 marks.  Gimme a six pack and a roll of quarters and I'm good for an afternoon.

In short, I try to challenge myself to accomplish a task and strive towards it.  I'll pick any drill, say putt as many 2 footers as I can and then see how many I get.  Next time, I need to beat that score.

• 1495 points

Interesting ideas, I like them both and will have to give them a try and post results/findings.

•  

PatCCraig

Just putt...a lot. The problem with most is that they don't realize that putting is all muscle memory found through repetition. There are no magic putting drills. Just get a putter in your hands and hit a ton of putts. I try to work on putting mechanics in the winter...hitting a ton of straight 3, 5, and 10 footers in the basement. In the summer it's more repetition but it's more about developing feel for different lengths and breaks.

While hitting a lot of putts is definitely necessary, if you are doing it incorrectly, you are wasting your time. 

According to that Englishman who gives lessons on the GOLF Channel, external drills (alignment rods, putting arcs, Hank Haney swing finder thing, mirrors, etc) engrains muscle memory two to three times faster than “just hitting a lot of balls”.... and I believe he knows a little more than us.

Another point, is you can never know what you are TRULY doing just hitting balls and not seeing it from a second perspective.  I do not know how many times I thought I was doing something and after a video lesson with my coach, it was completely wrong. 

Finally, hitting straight putts is great, but you will become a better putter challenging yourself and hitting more left to righter’s or vice versa.  How many times on the golf course do you truly have a straight putt?  Unless it’s a children’s course, you may get 1 or 2 a round.

To answer the question, I use a putting mirror thing that helps me know where my eyes are over the ball and I also use tees to make sure I am on plane.  My tee drill is very simple, just put two tees outside your putter head with the ball just in front of them and take your swing.  To further the drill, I put tees just a smidge wider than the ball on my intended line about 3 – 5 feet ahead and have the ball go through that as well.  Then I know I have hit it well and if I have the speed right, it should be in the hole.

Also a fan of Cole’s practice with the chalk lines, I use that a lot before tournaments when it’s not time to be too technical.

•  

one thing i always try to do is pick a short length (3-5 foot) and practice those hard.  if i can be automatic with that, then i know i just have to get the ball within a 10 foot diameter circle around the cup on either my approach or lag putt.  most people aren't going to be draining 15 footers all the time.  the PGA average is 50% from 7.5 feet.  so if you can be deadly from 5 feet and in, you're scores will improve.

•  

EMKelly0106

PatCCraig

While hitting a lot of putts is definitely necessary, if you are doing it incorrectly, you are wasting your time. 

According to that Englishman who gives lessons on the GOLF Channel, external drills (alignment rods, putting arcs, Hank Haney swing finder thing, mirrors, etc) engrains muscle memory two to three times faster than “just hitting a lot of balls”.... and I believe he knows a little more than us.

Another point, is you can never know what you are TRULY doing just hitting balls and not seeing it from a second perspective.  I do not know how many times I thought I was doing something and after a video lesson with my coach, it was completely wrong. 

Finally, hitting straight putts is great, but you will become a better putter challenging yourself and hitting more left to righter’s or vice versa.  How many times on the golf course do you truly have a straight putt?  Unless it’s a children’s course, you may get 1 or 2 a round.

To answer the question, I use a putting mirror thing that helps me know where my eyes are over the ball and I also use tees to make sure I am on plane.  My tee drill is very simple, just put two tees outside your putter head with the ball just in front of them and take your swing.  To further the drill, I put tees just a smidge wider than the ball on my intended line about 3 – 5 feet ahead and have the ball go through that as well.  Then I know I have hit it well and if I have the speed right, it should be in the hole.

Also a fan of Cole’s practice with the chalk lines, I use that a lot before tournaments when it’s not time to be too technical.

i'm not a fan of that teacher.  i don't deny he knows what he is doing and is very successful, but i don't like all of the external 'gimmicks' he uses.  i just haven't been able to watch his show.  i guess i'm just too old-school.  

•  

i practice my putting a little bit every day by jous getting my putter out and putting a red solo cup across my living room and hit a fet putts in it. i do this for like 10 min mostily durring the commercials while watching spongbob

•  

That's fine tdogg... I just think external aids really help to ensure you are doing what you think you are.  I am not Bubba, it's easier for me to engrain something in my swing if I know there is no way I am messing it up lol.

To each their own.

•  

EMKelly0106

That's fine tdogg... I just think external aids really help to ensure you are doing what you think you are.  I am not Bubba, it's easier for me to engrain something in my swing if I know there is no way I am messing it up lol.

To each their own.

that's very true, and there's nothing wrong with it.  i thought about trying hank haney's swing plane device.  but i guess it's my 'old-school' cynical mind that doubts some of these devices.  i have alignment sticks i use, but that's about it.

what are the best ones you've tried?  any duds to stay away from?

•  

Here are couple of drills that I've found help my putting.  

First, if the putting green is relatively clear, take several balls and spread them around the edge of the green--about a foot in from the fringe--and about three or four feet apart.  Choose one hole to putt to.  Align each along the line to that hole.  Putt each ball to the hole, trying your best to sink every putt.  As the ball rolls, observe your alignment mark; it should indicate if the ball has been rolled end over end or not.  The dispersion of the balls around the edge of the green ensures that every putt is different.  NOTE:  you can also do this by putting from adjacent to a hole to the edge of the free, something Anika Sorenstam likes to do to develop her touch.

Second, the clock.  Place four balls on the cardinal points around a hole at about 3 feet.  Putt each into the hole.  If they all go in, do the next set from 6 feet, and so on, moving about 3 feet out each time you make all four putts.  If you don't make them all, repeat from the same distance.  This helps short putts, and works on feel.

•  

OK, YOU ASK FOR IT.

PICTURE A 5"6" 220 POUND GUY.

I LINE UP MY FEET WITH THE HOLE AND LOOK DOWN AT THE BALL,,,I CAN'T SEE IT,MY BELLY IS IN THE WAY,,,SO,,I BEND OVER AND MOVE THE BALL OUT FURTHER FROM MY FEET,,NOW I CAN SEE THE BALL BUT MY ARMS ARE TOO SHORT,,,,SO I MOVE MY GRIP UP HIGHER ON THE SHAFT AND NOW I CAN'T TAKE THE PUTTER BACK STRAIGHT BECAUSE I'M SWINGING AROUND MY BELLY,,,SO NOW MY HANDS ARE 3 FEET AWAY FROM MY FEET AND I'M SWINGING IN A CIRCLE,,,,,,,,,SO I CATCH A CASE OF THE YIPS,,,,,,SO,,,,ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?

•  

another thing i was taught when i was young, practice with two balls.  one to help figure out the line and the second to work on your stroke.  it's good to practice bending putts, but sometimes it's hard to gauge your stroke and distance control if you don't know the line.

•  

DOGLOSKI

OK, YOU ASK FOR IT.

PICTURE A 5"6" 220 POUND GUY.

I LINE UP MY FEET WITH THE HOLE AND LOOK DOWN AT THE BALL,,,I CAN'T SEE IT,MY BELLY IS IN THE WAY,,,SO,,I BEND OVER AND MOVE THE BALL OUT FURTHER FROM MY FEET,,NOW I CAN SEE THE BALL BUT MY ARMS ARE TOO SHORT,,,,SO I MOVE MY GRIP UP HIGHER ON THE SHAFT AND NOW I CAN'T TAKE THE PUTTER BACK STRAIGHT BECAUSE I'M SWINGING AROUND MY BELLY,,,SO NOW MY HANDS ARE 3 FEET AWAY FROM MY FEET AND I'M SWINGING IN A CIRCLE,,,,,,,,,SO I CATCH A CASE OF THE YIPS,,,,,,SO,,,,ANY OTHER QUESTIONS?

WELL I WAS REALY HOPING SOMEONE WOULD COME TO MY RESCUE BUT I GUESS IT'S HOPELESS. LOL,LOL,LOL