Parallel

Parallel

• 1495 points

I've heard teachers and other golfers talk about getting the club parallel with the ground at the top of your back swing. Just curious to hear what people's thoughts are on this? Is it necessary? If so, does any one have any good drills or tips on how to ensure that your club does make it to parallel every time?

•  

I think 19th hole is best qualified with that question.  There are a few very successful players who swing past parallel.  John Daly, Tiger Woods for 2.  Most do not want to overswing and stop at parallel or short of it.  Most iron swings do not come close to parallel.  A swing that is controlled with good tempo and balance are the most important things in my opinion.

•  

Parallel is a good goal, but not a "must" do.  Length of the backswing is impacted by many things, not the least of which is the individual's flexibility.  Work with a pro to find the correct length for your backswing.  Don't just blindly follow a "maxim."

•  
    Great question! I cannot tell you how many people I have taught that work so hard to do this that they make some really bad moves during the swing. What is more important is that you make a full a turn as you can without losing your balance or overswinging. In an effort to get to parallel, some players lose control of the clubhead and as a result end up making very poor contact. You need to work with a PGA professional to see where you can get the club to on your backswing and still make consistant sid contact. Best of luck.....
  •  
    And of all the people here at FJ, Rick, aka 19 hole, is a certified PGA professional. He can absolutely help you and guide you.
  •  

19hole
    Great question! I cannot tell you how many people I have taught that work so hard to do this that they make some really bad moves during the swing. What is more important is that you make a full a turn as you can without losing your balance or overswinging. In an effort to get to parallel, some players lose control of the clubhead and as a result end up making very poor contact. You need to work with a PGA professional to see where you can get the club to on your backswing and still make consistant sid contact. Best of luck.....

This is the best advice coming from a PGA Teaching professional...(What he said).

-ICONs for ALL

•  

Balance and Control (prefect use of those two words Rick) - no matter who's version of the golf swing you try to conform to -  balance and control are essentail.

•  

19hole

to further the question, what about where the club should be 'pointing' at the top.  i have (in my opinion) a very good turn and i go past parallel without losing control or being off balance.  but as i'm rotating my shoulders, the club continues past my target line and i'm pointing the club right of the target.  i've had a couple 'quick' lessons recently (the kind they give you at a company sponsored event) and they all have mentioned my position at the top.  is this a real concern if i'm still balanced and square at impact?  am i losing anything with this move?

•  

tdogg21

19hole

to further the question, what about where the club should be 'pointing' at the top.  i have (in my opinion) a very good turn and i go past parallel without losing control or being off balance.  but as i'm rotating my shoulders, the club continues past my target line and i'm pointing the club right of the target.  i've had a couple 'quick' lessons recently (the kind they give you at a company sponsored event) and they all have mentioned my position at the top.  is this a real concern if i'm still balanced and square at impact?  am i losing anything with this move?

It could be OK, but it is difficult to give you a definitive answer without seeing your swing and the ball flight it produces. Generally we try to keep the club pointing towards the target at the top. And it isn't exactly at the target, but on a parallel line to the target. It sounds like you have a classic "cross the line" position at the top. If it works consistantly for you, don't change it. If you have ball flight inconsistancies that is where I would look first.

•  
    IMO, I think most golfers are getting too technical with their swings on their own. Personally, I'm a little laid off at the top but it's what works consistently for me. If you're worried, a quick lesson would be beneficial.
  •  

19hole

It could be OK, but it is difficult to give you a definitive answer without seeing your swing and the ball flight it produces. Generally we try to keep the club pointing towards the target at the top. And it isn't exactly at the target, but on a parallel line to the target. It sounds like you have a classic "cross the line" position at the top. If it works consistantly for you, don't change it. If you have ball flight inconsistancies that is where I would look first.

i understand being difficult without actually seeing my swing.  and yes, i do cross the line.  it seems to work for me.  i think my inconsistencies have more to do with my lack of playing time than it does my swing.  i just wasn't sure if i was 'losing' anything by crossing the line.  if i notice any ball flight problems, i'll look there first.

thanks for the info!

• 3627 points

Whatever works for your own swing. But for the most part golfers take the club way too far back.

•  

RICK (19HOLE) IS THE BOSS.

IF YOU'RE HITTING IT SQUARE AND STRAIGHT,,,,,DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.

NO, 1,,,,,,,,,,HAVE FUN.

YOUR LOCAL PRO IS THE BEST BET IF YOUR NOT DOING ANY OF THE ABOVE.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS,,,ENJOY.

•  
    You know whos across the line? Freddy Couples.
  •  
    Yes, Freddie does cross the line and if I could hit it like him I would cross the line too!