Odds on a Hole-in-One

Odds on a Hole-in-One

•  

I read this morning that the odds of getting a hole-in-one are 5000-1.  that got me thinking.  i'm pretty sure i've had more than 5000 shots from the tee to a green (par 3s and drivable par 4s) with no hole-in-one.  i guess that probably says a lot about my accuracy! 

•  

I guess we are both in the same boat then!

•  
    Don't feel bad I feel your pain it will come some day
  •  

I would multiply that by my odds of Green in regulation. At this time of year, I have a better chance of hitting the lottery.

•  

I would think that your odds increase by playing more par 3 executive course. Maybe its 3000-1 instead of 5000-1?

•  

i figure i play enough that i'll get one eventually.  obviously more skill helps, but really a hole-in-one comes down to pure luck.  i've holed out from a 100 or so yards off the green and i've also had shots hit the pin bounce 30 feet away.  my dad played for many, many years and only had one.  but really, i think most of us would be happy if we only got one.

•  

I don't hold much credit for those odds. I do know the closer the hole the more likely you are to hole out a shot.

•  

That may be why hole-in-one's are not recognized at courses with more than 6 par 3's. BTW - Dallin, you're getting REALLY close to FJA Status (OK, I know that you know that I know that you knew that LOL). Let's play soon!

•  

Tdogg, that's cool to learn. Was there anything about the odds of double-eagle?

• 3503 points

I've come to grips with the fact that I may never have one. My parents have them. Me... nadda. Maybe one day, I'll fluke a shot into a green, hit someone in the group ahead of me, richoet off a sprinkler head, then end up in the cup.

$10 says I have a hole-in-3 before an Ace...

•  

fredcloss

Tdogg, that's cool to learn. Was there anything about the odds of double-eagle?

I don't have a hole in one but I do have one of those!  Slightly toed 5-iron from 217 (if you ever play with me I usually find something slightly wrong with a shot) but it went in for a 2 so I will take it!

•  

fredcloss

That may be why hole-in-one's are not recognized at courses with more than 6 par 3's. BTW - Dallin, you're getting REALLY close to FJA Status (OK, I know that you know that I know that you knew that LOL). Let's play soon!

Yeah, we need to get out soon. I need you to fix my swing...it's really awful right now.  In baseball we would call it a major slump - like going 0 for 25.

• 3539 points

I've never had one either...I've come close (inside 1'-0") several times. I've had 10-15 eagles from the fairway and a few hole outs from 40-50 yards for par (or worse), but, I'm still waiting on my first 1.

•  

Devin, nice shot! Wow! If you can slightly toe your 5 iron 217 yards, what happens when you hit it "in the screws". Hmmm...do you "kids" even know what "in the screws" means? ;-)

•  

I had my first last year at the FJA (calculate those odds).

I had a double eagle when I was in my early teens.  Driver (Taylor Made Burner Plus) and a 1 iron (Ping Eye 2).  Was playing along with my dad at the time.