Etiquette

Etiquette

•  

OK, I know this has been covered before but I couldn't find the post to revive it. 

I played yesterday at a semi-public course with my dad (he drove the cart and hung out with me while I golfer).  Anyway, we got tossed in the mix behind a two some that was terrible but I didn't really care since it was just nice to be out.  Well we get through 9 holes and on the 10th we got the course to ourselves, the guys in front must of only played 9.  I was pretty happy.  Low and behold, they must have stopped at the club house to restock the cooler.  I got through the first 3 holes until I ran into a 3-some of hacks but again, I figured this would happen so it didn't bother me.

To get to the part that really makes me angry... so the guys that stopped to stock up on beers caught up a little and were on the green as I was teeing off, etc.  Not a bad pace.  Well, somehow they sped up and so as I was teeing off on the next hole they come riding up in the cart.  I am not a rocket scientist, but if you saw someone on a tee box ready to go, you stop the cart and wait, right?  WRONG!  These individuals decide to continue their conversations at a normal level and drive their cart right up behind mine, IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACK SWING! They continued to do that for the rest of the holes!  It was like clockwork, each time I started to take the club back, they decided to drive their cart to the tee box I was on.  Absolutely ridiculous. 

I am not used to this type of stuff where I usually play so maybe it makes me a lot more upset than it should, but doesn't anyone understand the gentleman's game anymore?!  Common sense is no where to be found anymore.

•  

Its definitely a lost art, had two bozos do that last week on a par3. Why not stay out of sight until the shots are struck! I gave the twosome the stank eye and shrugged my shoulders.. Never happened the rest of the round!

•  

In the early stages of childhood, a parent has the opportunity to develop the character and personality habits. Once that conditioning has either been missed or not re-enforced, you get the kind of people that do not respect others.

A disgrace to the game and mankind....

-ICONs for ALL

•  

I've been in your shoes before. It makes me frustrated and angry.  It is amazing how some people just don't have a clue.

•  

Eric, 

Not a lot of etiquette on a public course most of the time anyways.  But as soon as you throw brain grenades into the mix, it should be expected that these guys won't be quite.  Being Nebraska, they were probably wearing jorts and wife beaters.

TT

•  

Eric, where were the marshals?  Often just a quick word with one of them can easily be passed to the offending group, with the authority of the course, rather than just the golfers in front of them.  Sorry you had to put up with this.

•  

Unfortunately, many people don't follow golf etiquette anymore...whether they don't know it or just don't care.  I've noticed that there tends to be much less etiquette at public/semi-private (typically the non-members in my experience) courses; not nearly as big of an issue at most private courses I've played.  I've had run-ins with people doing exactly as what happened to you...I typically just politely walk up to them after the first time they do it and ask them if they would mind not driving up like that due to the distraction.  Typically this works well.  I don't like having to "teach" etiquette to others on the course like this, but sometimes it is necessary.

•  

Dear Eric if we would have known it was you we would have offered you a beer.

•  

When I read this I think to myself how important is people to learn previously rules & etiquette before even go for the first time to the course.

•  

that sounds like you didnt have a good time while haveing a good time playing golf

•  

I always like the stop the swing and turn and stare and wait till they get the idea.

•  

this has gotten to be worse of a problem over the years.  a lot of guys look at golf as a time to be away from home drinking beer.  when my Dad was alive, he would have smacked me the back of the head if i did that and probably taken me off the course.  My daughter will learn the 'proper' way to act on a course.

i probably would have backed off and looked at them and waited for them to quiet down.   courses and organizations need to do something (and i don't know what) to try to educate new golfers.  but most of them aren't interested in reading something and most don't watch it on TV, so nothing there would help.

•  

Sorry to hear your game and a fun day with your Dad was disrupted....Etiquette issues occur on all types of courses...I think we have all experienced people as you describe. TNT and pulplvr provide good advise as does GTJ.....Have handled situations in similar ways but found comments and directive from the ranger have the most impact.....

•  

Eric,

Sorry to hear that you had a rough time. I believe that we have all met this same group of individuals some time or another on a few courses. It appears that the idea of a Gentlemens game has never crossed their minds.

Just enjoy the round and the time spent with you father.

•  

timb

Eric,

Sorry to hear that you had a rough time. I believe that we have all met this same group of individuals some time or another on a few courses. It appears that the idea of a Gentlemens game has never crossed their minds.

Just enjoy the round and the time spent with you father.

that's the best advice i've heard in a long time.  i would give anything for one more round with my Dad.  so when idiots start to ruin your round, just step back and remember why you were there that day, and it probably wasn't to win a bunch of money.