Best Irons ?

Best Irons ?

• 419 points

20 hcp player looking to improve equipment - got new callaway driver and white hot putter last yr

looking for playability/some forgiveness.....

best irons????

best hybrids???

all replies welcome

•  

Not to sound like a jerk, but the ones youre properly fitted for. Hit up a demo day and let launch monitor dictate!

•  

cozmiksig1

20 hcp player looking to improve equipment - got new callaway driver and white hot putter last yr

looking for playability/some forgiveness.....

best irons????

best hybrids???

all replies welcome

Welcome to the FJC.

cozmiksig1 there is not a better time then for you to go to your local pro shop and have them "fit" you for the clubs that will provide you with the best opportunity to enjoy the game with equipment that meets your specifications.

-ICONs for ALL

•  

Best thing you can do is go to a store and look at all the different models, pick out a few that are pleasing to your eye and try them, if they will let you take it on the course for a demo your in business.  Then most important have yourself fitted  for length, lie, grip size, shaft stiffness. Have fun.

•  

There is not any easy answer here as to the best clubs, as that is all relative to the player.  Go hit as many different clubs as you can.  Find clubs that look good to your eye and give you confidence at address.  Then hit those clubs with different shafts and see which ones feel the best to you and which shafts give you the ball flight and spin numbers you want.  Finally, and I cannot stress this enough, hit as many irons as you can OUTDOORS so you can actually SEE what the ball does and FEEL the interaction with the turf.  Lots of great clubs out there...what works for me may not work for you and vice versa.    And welcome to the FJ Community...stick around and enjoy the conversation!

•  

You are going to find that most of the people on the forum use Titleist clubs.  I myself use Ping irons and I love them.  Ever since I took the Ping factor tour, that was all I wanted.  The G-20's are the new ones that are out - they received a gold rating from Golf Digest.

•  
    The easy answer is.....the ones that you shoot the lowest scores with. But seriously, you don'tvsay what you are using now. That is usually a good starting point. Depending on wat you have the advice changes. As a Certified Titleist fitter and PGA Professional I am partial to the Titleist line and for someone at your handicap level I would start the fitting process with the AP1 iron line. I would probably not have anything stronger than a 5 iron in your bag and keep your wedge set pretty simple. Your best bet is to goto a local demo day and hit a bunch of clubs. Then go find a certified fitter fo thr iron brand that you liked the look and feel of. Be open minded to thevfitter as he is, or shoild be, a properly trained professional and will know a lot more about clubs and he swing than you do. Follow his dvice and follow up with a series of lessons from a PGA Professional and you will emjoy the game a lot more. Welcome to the Community and best of luck!
    • 2860 points

I am a high handicapper also but cut 6 strokes off my game when I switched to a full set of Cleveland HiBore irons. They are forgiving and gave me about another 20 yds. I no longer use woods on the fairway-the 3 & 4 iron do the trick.

• 566 points

Titleist AP1 is the best iron for you.  Go see your local pga pro and get fitted.

•  

payup

Titleist AP1 is the best iron for you.  Go see your local pga pro and get fitted.

Well Stated!

Welcome to the FJC - Payup and Zacho...

-ICONs for ALL

•  

Coz welcome to the Community.

Go see your local pga pro and get fitted. To save some money I would suggest you 2011 models, Titleist AP1 or TM Burner 2.0 for irons and Cobra Baffler as hybrid.

• 2661 points

Welcome to the forum and good luck with all of the demoing of Irons... You will have fun finding out which one's try them all..

•  
    Go get fit for a set of AP1's 4-sw, and 910 hybrids and woods, don't forget when getting fit for you clubs ask for a ball fitting also. Titleist has some great golf balls for all game levels. Your local PGA pro will help you. If you o not have one, go to Titleist.com and search or a fitting club in your area. You will not have o be a member for this. Good luck and welcome to the Community!
  •  

i say to do this

1) go to a demo day

2) have the pro get you fitted

3) demo all the clubs that you can

4) choose the ones that feel the best and dose the best for you

•  

If it were me and just starting out looking for a new set, I would definitely take the advice of 19hole and get fitted for everything from the driver on down. I found out that being fitted makes all the difference in the world and will lower your score before anything else. Like a lot of people, we never hear about fitting until it is too late, but now knowing about it now, I wouldn't do anything else. That is the reason I was fitted for my irons, AP2s, and am looking foreward to getting fitted for a new driver and others down the road.

Best of luck on your choices.