grip size

grip size

•  

There's a been a lot of revelation about the grip sizes on tour the last few years. For example, Bubba Watson, in a commercial, mentions 12 layers of tape. Mr Hogan had pretty large grips with a reminder cord underneath the grip. K.J. Choi has been seen using a massive putter grip. To that end, what have you all found to be true with the larger grips? Have they made you more accurate? Longer? A better putter?

•  

FRED,

I HAVE OVERSIZE + 1/8 WITH 3 WRAPS AND WILL PROBABLY TRY THE JUMBOS NEXT CHANGE.

I HAVE THE BIG "A"(ARTHRITIS) IN MY FINGERS AND WITHOUT THE OVERSIZE I POBABLY WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO PLAY.

•  

I USE A SUPER STROKE LITE PUTTER GRIP.  HAS HELPED ME ALOT BY DIMINISHING WRIST BREAKING DURING PUTTING STROKE

•  
    I use the golf pride camo v rad grip and the grips I have on my other clubs are the golf pride New decade grips all in standard size and I play really well with them so I don't think I will change to a bigger grip
  •  

Fred, this is a great topic!  For years I have been experimenting with grip sizes.  There a few things to consider with grip sizes which I have come to build into sizing.  For Irons and Woods: The first is what is the size is the butt end of the club? .600, .610, .625 etc... then secondly, what is the size of the grip core? .580, .600 etc... The reason this is important is the following....a .600 grip on a .600 butt is standard...conversely a .580 grip on a .600 butt is like adding an extra wrap of "invisible" tape...now having said this you get the idea to start.  The second point of this is that each of these grips will feel differently possibly beyond sizing...for instance some people believe .600 grips feel harder than .580 grips (I am one of those players) however it depends on the grip also.  One side note is there is also a "Rib" feature vs. "Round" on many grips.  The norm is round grips inside but a ribbed inside (also called a reminder ridge) which goes along the bottom of the grip.  This is completely personal preference but affects feel as well.  Ok, now onto the next part of your question, what ultimate size to make grips potentially?  Most players use one wrap of tape under their grips which is standard for the industry.  I have larger hands, and some people have arthritis, and prefer 2, 3, or even 4 wraps of tape to build up the grip.  It is my belief that 95%-99% of players do not go beyond 4 or 5 wraps.  At this point you could just purchase a midsize grip which is similar to 4 wraps of tape (according to Golf Pride's website).  Which is right for you? I would recommend you experiment with your 9, 8 and 7 iron having them all gripped with various wraps and the same grip first to determine your size.  Next then move onto a three grips that appear desireable to you...the rest is just spending money! LOL  Oh, and before I forget, putters...yes, KJ Choi has used the Super Stroke Fatso Grip which is HUGE! and others like tiger have used the Ping Black Out Grip which is small in comparison...basically my experiences have shown that the larger the grip you use the less "feel" you have but the more stable the putting stroke potentially.  The in between choice is a midsize grip which is popular among a lot of players but it goes back to feel...there is also a range of designs to make this task just a slight more complicated...for instance some have large flat fronts for your thumbs while other grips are more rounded...other grips are soft/tacky while some are hard in comparison.  I have had a lot of luck with Winn Putter Grips, but I prefer the Scotty Cameron Custom Shop Midsize Grip which I believe is a Winn Grip but made especially for Scotty's Shop.  They also make a standard small size in the same material for those that have smaller hands or prefer more feel in their strokes.  Ok, I covered a lot of ground but it is important to understand all these factors...I would encourage you to experiment with a few grips then go with the same grip for all your woods and irons, but on your putter find a grip that really works for your style and stroke!  Once you do this I think your scores will automatically go down 2-4 strokes without a doubt! And do not forget to change your grips at least once a year for fresh one's...the feeling of fresh grips on a club is like butter! LOL

•  

I go standard on grips. Every so often, I'll wrap one extra layer of tape under them but never more than that extra layer. I've fooled with mid-size grips and couldn't find my touch (or lack there of) with them so I decided to keep it as is.

I do love the New Decade corded grips. They wear quickly and they are pricey but I love em!

•  
    dzabkar

I go standard on grips. Every so often, I'll wrap one extra layer of tape under them but never more than that extra layer. I've fooled with mid-size grips and couldn't find my touch (or lack there of) with them so I decided to keep it as is.

I do love the New Decade corded grips. They wear quickly and they are pricey but I love em!

Try the sharpro Club grips they are the same as the new decade and have a few different colors and they are only like $3.50 a grip and compared to the New Decade ones at almost $9 a grip it is worth it
  •  

Wheelez3030
    dzabkar

Try the sharpro Club grips they are the same as the new decade and have a few different colors and they are only like $3.50 a grip and compared to the New Decade ones at almost $9 a grip it is worth it

Thank you Wheelez!

•  

I go with Jumbo grips on all my irons and midsize on my woods, just feels right for me.

• 811 points

Chris I never thought of the relation between the butt diameter of the shaft and grip size.  That is very good info. Thank You

•  

shaun13

I go with Jumbo grips on all my irons and midsize on my woods, just feels right for me.

But Shaun you have massive hands....

•  

dzabkar

Wheelez3030
    dzabkar

Thank you Wheelez!

these are the colors that they come in

black and green

black and blue

black and orange

black and red

black and white

black and yellow

•  

I use midsize grips on all of my clubs.  I've found that I tend to "choke" the grip a little too much with the smaller/standard grips, so the midsize works perfectly for me.  That also helps with fighting my hook as well.  I'm able to grip the club very lightly without feeling like it's going to slip out of my hands.  

•  

Wheelez, I guess my question would be are those Sharpro grips as durable as the Golf Pride new Decade grips?  I use the GP ND and love them, and have found they last for quite a while (especially with periodic cleaning). 

•  

Chris that was a great explanation of grip sizes I don't believe most people know about.  By adding tape you are also changing swing weight which will also change how your shaft reacts. most golfers would never know the difference.  This is where a master club fitter comes in.  I always believed the grip should be just large enough so when gripping the club your ring finger is just barely touching your palm.  After all that I use a golf pride VDR 58 round with an extra wrap of tape.  That's 1/32 over standard.