which ball is the best ball

which ball is the best ball

•  

here it is, you're playing a best ball and you and your partner are both in trouble around the green.

one ball is in the rough behind the green which slopes away from you and the other is in the sand below the hole.

which ball do you prefer to play?     for me, i've got to chose the sand, how about you ?

•  

as long as it's not a fried-egg, i'm going with the sand play. deep rough behind a green sloping away is a recipe for the ball coming out hot and rolling off the front. at least your next shot would be below the hole.

•  

Same here ... I like the bunker shot.

• 263 points

I like the bunker shot, but it depends on the quality of the sand. Many times the sand in public courses around Wisconsin is filled with rocks and seems to be taken from the shore of Lake Michigan or something. I like a bunker as long as the sand is fine.

•  

so that's where our sand here in michigan comes from, could one of fellas out in mass drop down to the cape and send us some ot the good stuff?

•  

If it's my shot the bunker shot, my partners probably the one in the rough.....

• 453 points

I have to agree with the sand play here too.  Given the circumstances it sounds like that is the best chance for an up and down.

•  

Sand hands down.  Once you learn how to play out of the sand, it's usually a more predictible and easier shot to hit.  (ok, usually!)

•  

another vote for the sand shot.  easier up and down.

•  

I'd rather play from the rough then the beach ANY DAY!!! Way more confidence getting out of thick rough

•  

My sand play is quite good.  As long as you have a decent lie in the bunker I would have to play the bunker shot.  unfortunately for me, my partners are usually shaky when it comes to sand play so we would most likely take the rough shot.

• 285 points

It has to be the sand shot, unless the ball is buried or the lip of the bunker won't allow you to get it up quick enough to get it to the hole. Either way, you should have more control of the ball playing from the sand.

•  

It would depend on how much green there was to work with from the rough behind. If it is short sided, I would definitely go with the bunker. If there is some green to work with, I have no problem popping a 60 degree flop to the fringe and let it roll out.

Easiest play would be to get the ball on the green with the approach. LOL

• 327 points

Sand. Any time. At least a chance of getting controlled spin.

R

•  

I would choose the sand shot, sounds like a better opportunity to save a stroke.