Any body take a PAT before?

Any body take a PAT before?

• 3467 points

I was just curious to know how many FJ community members have taken the PAT (Playing Ability Test)? This is my fourth year playing golf now and i am thinking that this upcoming season i will attempt the PAT. I have NEVER played more than 18 holes at one time before. I really want to try it so i have a benchmark for improvement. I know i will need to work on my wedge game because that is pretty weak. Any advice and or tips would be appreciated.

•  
    I have about 5 friends who have and they all said it was easy. I'd find an easy course that does the PAT and go play there often to learn the course. I wouldn't be too worried as long as you're a single digit handi.
  •  

Eric's back!  Been at the Range making up for lost time??? 

I have not.  I need to improve my consistency before I'd do such a thing.

•  

Just a matter of being able to string together a few good rounds together. And as Eric pointed out being a single digit handicap will definitely point you in the right direction.

• 3467 points

yeah i am not a single digit index. I wish! I am a 16. The funny thing is if i could just keep my head from rotating i can hit shots like a single digit all day long. But c'est la vive, i can not. My coach's friends will stop by from time to time or we run into them and they see my swing and think i am singe digit but i typically shoot in the mid 80's.

•  

Make sure that your game is in order before you attemp the PAT. Are you looking to become a PGA Professional? If not, there are a number of better ways to test your game than a PAT. The PAT is designed to be a test for potential PGA Professionals. I know a number of very good players that had to play more than a few PATs before they passed and were able to move forward with thier professional careers.

It is 36 holes of MEDAL play in one day. The course is not normally setup very hard, but it is still not a piece of cake to pass. When I took mine we had a full field of 120 players, only 4 of us passed. I was the medalist, not sure how!

•  

Rick I am sure that it helped that you hit it straight and accurate.

•  

Rwelch360

yeah i am not a single digit index. I wish! I am a 16. The funny thing is if i could just keep my head from rotating i can hit shots like a single digit all day long. But c'est la vive, i can not. My coach's friends will stop by from time to time or we run into them and they see my swing and think i am singe digit but i typically shoot in the mid 80's.

Given your handicap index, you may not be able to even enter a PAT. If you are looking to play some competitive golf, I would suggest you find a few handicap based amateur events to try. At a 16 you really are not ready to play in a PAT. The competitors in those events are beginning thier PGA careers and are all pretty good (2-3 to +2 or better handicap) players. You want to play an event that is competitive for you. These are events played at scratch, regardless of you actual handicap. Even if you played well enough in the PAT, it will not count for much for you unless you enroll in the PGA PGM program within 12 months. You are also not eligible to take any prise money. The PAT cost is $100 per event. That gets expensive if you can't actually take any prize money away.

I applaud you for wanting to inprove and play in competitive events. But you should really look for events that you would have more fun playing. Best of Luck whatever you decide.....

•  

Rwelch360

I was just curious to know how many FJ community members have taken the PAT (Playing Ability Test)? This is my fourth year playing golf now and i am thinking that this upcoming season i will attempt the PAT. I have NEVER played more than 18 holes at one time before. I really want to try it so i have a benchmark for improvement. I know i will need to work on my wedge game because that is pretty weak. Any advice and or tips would be appreciated.

What is the benefit of having a PAT? do you have to play 36 holes in a particular score to make a cut? It sounds to me like its a stepping stone to a professional career or to playing at the highest amateur level: next stop Augusta etc. Is this a qualifying stage for competitions like the US open?

•  
    I think u shoot 2 rounds under 80 or so. It's does not allow u to qualify for PGA events by playing well however the designation you receive would. The PAT other places must be a lot more difficult. I had 3 friends take it together and all them passed and said only like 10 failed. Maybe the universities PGM program is better than I thought?
  •  

I played with some asst pro buddies of mine in the PAT at my home course.  I helped out an odd number issue.

They all passed and I would have if it had been my calling.  I think it just depends on where you take it.

Like Rick said, you have to do something with it or its just an expensive round.

•  

In my opinion, there is no reason to try the PAT unless you intend to make professional golf your full profession.  As an amateur, you have access to many more events - and ones that you will likely be much more competitive in.  If you want to be a teaching pro, that is great, but before you proceed with the PAT, be sure that is exactly what you want to do with your career.  Getting your amateur status back is not easy - the USGA has some strict rules and waiting times...

•  
    Fairway finder

Rwelch360

What is the benefit of having a PAT? do you have to play 36 holes in a particular score to make a cut? It sounds to me like its a stepping stone to a professional career or to playing at the highest amateur level: next stop Augusta etc. Is this a qualifying stage for competitions like the US open?

The purpose the to make sure people in the PGA PGM (apprentice) program can actually play the game to some standard. It is a 36 hole event, played in one day. You " pass" by shooting the target score or below. The only reason to do it is it is required to be completed,and passed, before you can attend the Level Three checkpoint on the way to a becoming a PGA Class A Professional.
    • 3467 points

19hole

Make sure that your game is in order before you attemp the PAT. Are you looking to become a PGA Professional? If not, there are a number of better ways to test your game than a PAT. The PAT is designed to be a test for potential PGA Professionals. I know a number of very good players that had to play more than a few PATs before they passed and were able to move forward with thier professional careers.

It is 36 holes of MEDAL play in one day. The course is not normally setup very hard, but it is still not a piece of cake to pass. When I took mine we had a full field of 120 players, only 4 of us passed. I was the medalist, not sure how!

I am not looking to be a PGA professional at the moment. But it is a possibility. I have been playing in tournaments and do well. When i first started playing i won all the time, i had 5 wins my first season, but now i am in a different flight and i finish in the top 5 but i haven't been winning as much pro shop money lately. The downside is you never know where you stand or what you have to shoot. Was looking for something with a little more pressure. That's crazy only four people passed. A guy i talked with at the PGA show was telling me he just looked for it to come to a course with an easier slope rating. I think he said you have to shoot a few over par each round to pass. I can't remember the exact number but its something do do with the course rating and slope and what par for the course is. 

• 3467 points

19hole

Rwelch360

Given your handicap index, you may not be able to even enter a PAT. If you are looking to play some competitive golf, I would suggest you find a few handicap based amateur events to try. At a 16 you really are not ready to play in a PAT. The competitors in those events are beginning thier PGA careers and are all pretty good (2-3 to +2 or better handicap) players. You want to play an event that is competitive for you. These are events played at scratch, regardless of you actual handicap. Even if you played well enough in the PAT, it will not count for much for you unless you enroll in the PGA PGM program within 12 months. You are also not eligible to take any prise money. The PAT cost is $100 per event. That gets expensive if you can't actually take any prize money away.

I applaud you for wanting to inprove and play in competitive events. But you should really look for events that you would have more fun playing. Best of Luck whatever you decide.....

Thanks for the advice. I have been playing tournaments. I play in the Durand Eastman Men's golf club, so i play in our club tournaments which are by flight so i play with people around my same handicap. I do well, always in the top 10, i usually am in the top 5. When i first started i was in a flight lower and i won just about every tournament i played in. I played in one Rochester District Golf Association tournament, but it was a two man best ball with my friend Jim who is a scratch player. We did ok. I am going to try and play some more RDGA tournaments because they get a way better field of players. I still might attempt the PAT this year, i think it would be an awesome test of my skill, or lack there of. If do really poor do they not let you try again for a few years? I didn't even know that the PAT had prize money. I just want the ability to play in even higher up tournaments later on. And i want to feel the pressure. All the tournaments i play in i just play my round and find out how i did at the end, i never feel pressure except when i played the match play and went to extra holes.