why does this always, ALWAYS happen

why does this always, ALWAYS happen

•  

Seems to me that the golf gods have to have the most vile sense of humor that could be imagined. They won't let you feel good about what you're doing on the course until it becomes time to make that decision concerning whether to give up the game (which i'll never do) or come back for more punishment. There always seems to be one little thing about the round that brings you back saying, “I did it the other day, I'll go out and do it again”. Some days that might be something a simple a the perfect drive on the last hole of the day.

Yep, another moment in time to remember for me. Struggling with the driver the entire round and hitting just 3 fairways up through the first 17 holes. Missing to the left with a pull or too much fade (ok, slicing) to the right and never getting past 220 yards from the tee box, along comes the final hole of the round. I tell Mike (the guy I just met and shared a round of golf with) that I know I shouldn't but I'm going to try to really hit the ball. The round is already trashed for score and I really can't hurt it now. I tee it up, don't even look for the close target from behind the ball. Take an approximate stance with a single waggle, take my back swing then went after it. POW!!! Straight as an arrow, 265 yards and in the fairway. 120 to the center of the green. Mike takes his drive and it finishes 3 feet from my ball. We both make the green in regulation and he gets his bird and I finish for par.

Why does this have to happen on the last hole? Now I gotta go back and try to make it happen again. I know I'm gonna hurt myself swinging like that.

Help, I can't help myself. I gotta go after it again, next drive, yeah.

•  

Yes, the pain and suffering of it all beej! Fall down. Get back up. Go try again.

In life as in golf!

•  

never stay down, you can't enjoy much from there.

•  

"GOLF IS A TERRIBLE,HOPELESS ADDICTION, IT SEEMS:IT MAKES IT'S DEVOTEES WILLING TO TRUDGE MILES IN ANY MANNER OF WEATHER, LUGGING A HUGE INCOMMODIOUS AND APPALINGLY HEAVY BAG WITH THEM, IN PURSUIT OF A TINY AND FANTASTICALLY EXPENSIVE BALL, IN A FANATICAL ATTEMPT TO DIRECT IT INTO A HOLE THE SIZE OF A BEER GLASS HALF A MILE AWAY. IF ANYTHING COULD BE BETTER CALCULATED TO CONVINCE ONE OF THE ESSENTIAL LUNACY OF THE HUMAN RACE, I HAVEN'T FOUND IT."

MIKE SEABROOK FROM "ONE OVER PAR"

HMMM, IT APPEARS THAT WE ARE ALL NUTS. LOL,LOL

•  

IT APPEARS THAT WE ARE ALL NUTS.

and we ask ourselves, can we get there with a five iron?

no, we are already there, nuts that is.  but in a oh so good way.

•  
    Just remember this trick when you get down. "Put your change into your left pocket. Now, tie your left shoe in a double knot. Turn the hat backwards. Turn your hat around. Take a tee and stick it behind your left ear. Take a ball and hit it up the fairway."
  •  

I find that the main reason this happens is just what you noted--you finally relaxed, said "Just hit it", and quit worrying about the consequences.  The better players have practiced enough that their routine shot is grooved.  Most of us find that is not the case, so we're always tweaking our swing or our thoughts to find the "right" feel.  Once we decide to just let our physical memory take over and not try to over-think ourselves, we find that we do have a decent swing that can produce good results.  That brings us back, over and over again.

•  

I, too, am one of those that continues to go back for more punishment. Yesterday, with our Senior golfing club, I shot an 82 gross and 67 net with the 15 handicap. Sure I had a few bad holes and then comes along those birds and pars that make the game a teaser to achieve even better scores. And I also had trouble with the driver a week ago and went to the range. While there, I discovered, much to chagrin, that I was actually moving my head around too much and not keeping it still thru my downswing and finish. Yesterday, except for a few holes, all the drives suddenly went where I was aiming and stayed in the fairway. Lord have mercy, but it is amazing what a little movement can cause. Of course, age also plays a big part of the game now too.

•  

JUSTION;  i never carry change onto the course, always leave it in the truck. i'll make a note to carry some with me.  is there a specific amount? should it be like a roll of coins, if so, which ones?  i tie my shoes in doubles anyway because the laces are so long.  should i untie the right one in this case?  the hat, i don't understand. turn it backwards then turn it around.  seems that this would put the hat back in the original position.  is this just to get rhythm for the shot or what?  they used to do that on hee haw.  the tee behind the ear i can do.   thanx justin i'll try this method next time things go right. way right.

PULPLVR;  hey, i didn't relax on that shot, i went after it. i tried to hit it with all i had. (for a 62 year old that is)  but who knows, that john daly grip-it-n-rip-it style shot just might work out.  it felt good, but how many time will a 62 year old back be able to take it?  guess i'll just have to find out.

EAGLE;  age, that could be part of the problem as with it comes the loss of muscle memory, what was i saying, huh!   yep, that's the problem.  guess i'll just have to settle on having a glorious time on the course.  you don't think glorious is the wrong word to use, do you?

•  

Justinu3
    Just remember this trick when you get down. "Put your change into your left pocket. Now, tie your left shoe in a double knot. Turn the hat backwards. Turn your hat around. Take a tee and stick it behind your left ear. Take a ball and hit it up the fairway."

hahah "well how do you think you look hitting chili peppers up Lee Jazen's @ss?!?!"

•  

"This is, without a doubt, the stupidest, silliest, most idiotic grotesquely, masquerading as a game that has ever been invented."

Beej this ALWAYS happens to me too.  I played a quick after work 9 the other day and just couldn't hit the ball well.  The first drive went too long and left and went through the fairway, the second shot flew the green, the third came up a touch short and stayed in the rough, the fourth just caught the hill and rolled all the way to the other side of the green... you get the picture.  The rest of the round pretty much went like the first hole.  If I hit the green in regulation- I 3 putted.  If I chipped it close- I lipped out the par putt.  I couldn't catch a break.  The last hole is a short par 4.  I figured I would just try to cut the corner and drive the green.  "my score was shot either way".  Well I stepped into it and drove it over the green into a bunker.  I left my second shot in the bunker.  I was pretty upset, didn't really think about the shot, and just made a swing.  The ball floated perfectly, checked up a bit and then proceeded right into the cup for a bird.

They got me coming back again...

•  

there is just no escaping the curse known as golf.  there is no stronger hold than that which golf has over its victims.  why do we love the abuse this game puts upon us.  it is as dog says, we are totally nuts.

•  

OK guys, my story for the day. The course I played today is very unique. It has 3 par 3's, 3 par 4's & 3 par 5's on both 9's. First hole was a short par 5. Good drive, 3 wood just short of the green, chipped to 4'. Made the putt for a Bird.... The first time in my life I was ever under par!!!!!!!!!!! What a great feeling. Second hole, 120 yard par 3.  Choked down on my 8 iron as my 9 iron is being repaired for a broken shaft. We won't go into how that happened. Anyway I hit the 8 short into the sand, barely got it out into the rough, next shot past the hole about 15'. 2 putt for a double... Story of my life. Only had 1 par on the front. Back 9, 17th hole,short par 4. Hit a great drive to the front of the green, chipped up about 20", made the putt for my second Bird of the day. I can't remember if I have ever had 2 birds in 1 round. 18th hole, par 5 great drive, 3 wood into the bunker about 80' from hole, shank it into the next trap & finish with you guessed it, a double. Shot 92, should have been better.....I'll be back tom to try again . LOL

• 1263 points

joshgiano

Justinu3

hahah "well how do you think you look hitting chili peppers up Lee Jazen's @ss?!?!"

Love the Tin Cup references

• 1567 points

Mr Palmer said it best:

“Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented.”