The Penta

The Penta

•  

Have any of you tried the new Taylormade Penta ball? I used one this past weekend and felt that it really added some distance of 10 to 15 yards on the drives. Or it could have been that it was close to 90 outside and the course was playing really firm. Or it could have been the new Tec Socks... really soft around the green ( both ball and socks)

Can anyone give me a comparison with the ProV or ProVx? Would rather stay in the Titliest family but found that the feel of the Penta was really lovely. Plus Mr. Mizuno is starting to call me "Sergio".

•  

If it works for you, give it a shot.  I haven't used it or tried it but it's not all about what brand you use just how it performs for you.  Fortunately, ALL FJ products are the crème de la crème so we don't have to worry about their products being replaced lol.

•  

I have not tried it,but after  reading your post will give them a test drive.

•  

Really? Who knew.

I haven't tried another ball since last year when I got sucked into trying some Callaway i-Tours. Every year I think there's something that will out perform the Titleist bals I have used since day 1 of my golfing. Guess what? Nothing compares for me and I can't tell you how reassuring it is when I tee it up and look down to see Titleist inscribed on my ball during a round. I just can not make the switch!

Glad it works for you, but I'd hope you hit a few with your "other" ball to make sure it wasn't an illusion.

•  
    Tar Heel

Really? Who knew.

I haven't tried another ball since last year when I got sucked into trying some Callaway i-Tours. Every year I think there's something that will out perform the Titleist bals I have used since day 1 of my golfing. Guess what? Nothing compares for me and I can't tell you how reassuring it is when I tee it up and look down to see Titleist inscribed on my ball during a round. I just can not make the switch!

Glad it works for you, but I'd hope you hit a few with your "other" ball to make sure it wasn't an illusion.

+1 I spent some time experimenting the other year and came back to the Pro V1x. Titleist just seems to do the job for me.
  •  

never tried them but, would recommend playing them again like others have said..but, in the end you'll return to Titleist..."#1 Ball in Golf"

•  

which ball is softer? ProV1 or ProV1x?

• 1782 points

MG - the ProV1 is softer than the X.  The X is for players with higher swing speeds who can compress the harder ball.  

I just picked up a dozen Penta's based on my teaching pro's recommendation.  My swing speed is almost 100mph.  He said I'd like the distance off the tee and low spin rate on drives but it may not feel soft enough.

I have been loving the Bridgestone B330 and love it.  I don't need to pay for the ProV1X.  Callaway's just cut wait to quickly on wedge shots. 

•  

I like the Pro V1x but I don't like the PRICE .... I'm sticking to the e6+   :-)

•  

i always try to use the prov1x, but i try everything. i can't walk into a store without buying a sleeve of the newest ball. i bought a sleeve of penta, but haven't tried it yet. its getting a lot of publicity. i'm anxious to try it, but always go back to the prov1.

•  

Like everyone else so far, I think I have tried just about every ball out there and still come back to the ProV1x and in colder weather, the NXT brand. I just tried the NXT Extreme and liked it , but found out it has been dropped and now am going to have to find another, but will stay with one of the other Titleist brands as I have found them to be, in my humble opinion, the best ball for the money at any level and price, on the market. And for those who say the ProV1 series are too expensive, many places now carry recycled balls at a much lower price. I know, as my grandson always buys me the recycled ProV1xs. I can't find any difference in them and the new ones.

•  

penta! five piece! hah, this is gillettes fault five blades, closer shave,can't get my side burns even at mirror range.  how am i gonna get a five piece ball any closer from hundreds of yards away.

but then again my own inconsistancy just might have something to do with it.

i've always said that if it works for you (looks at furyk's swing) stick with it.  i'll probably try the ball as i'm always up for teying something new on the course.