Sportsmanship in action

Sportsmanship in action

•  

Did you all hear about the kid from an NAIA school who intentionally hit his playoff-hol tee shot out of bounds? Read this story: http://www.golfweek.com/news/2010/may/03/forecaddie-sportsmanship-its-finest/ 

Some people may wonder why a kid would duff his chance to win an individual title,  but I think it was an outstanding show of sportsmanship and compassion -- and an example of a true gentleman.

•  

GREAT POST GOLFCHICK.

THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT.

THE GAME

•  

This is an interesting story. I love the sportsmanship of it, but wonder why the young man didn't just shake hands and say, "you win, I will not play the playoff hole." The way I read this his heart was in the right place, but the players still went through the process of finishing the hole.

I ask because if I'm the other player, I now know that I got to go to the next level because someone basically "threw" the hole and let me win. Sure, I say again his heart and intentions were good. Great even. But to continue to play on and contest the hole, it's just not "the spirit of the game."

Another perspective. And please, I thrilled about the outcome.... but the way it played out isn't genuine. 

•  

Very classy move.

•  

TH -- understand what you're saying. My guess is that in collegiate competitions you must compete in the playoff -- rules may not allow a player to withdraw unless he or she is injured.

•  

wow, what a story...thanks for sharing!!

•  

Tar Heel, I can see your point but at that level of play do they have to play the hole?

Either way it was a great gesture.  It takes a big person to be willing to give up a little glory to help someone else shine.

•  

The game of golf has always shown the way. What this young man did just showed what this game is all about and what true sportsmanship really is. I would think that in the ranks that they palyed in, a playoff hole was required and that was the only way our young player could accomplish his goal. This young man is quite the gentleman.

I just did some checking and they must play a sudden death format if there is a tie in Stroke Play. So this explains why he did what he did in order to accomplish his goal. It may not have been pretty, but the goal was completed.

• 1782 points

I don't agree with these posts.  Sportsmanship is not tanking a Championship so someone who maybe less qualified can go.

•  

I just read that story, it is now being featured on Yahoo. Am I the only one who thinks that is was not such a great move on the hole throwers part? I see the argument, but I think this was pretty unsportsmanlike. There was an funny comment on the Yahoo page where someone wrote how not subtle the player was indicating that he could have missed a put or two to make it a little less obvious. Maybe obvious was what he was going for.

•  

Intresting story. Thanks for the post !!!

•  

"I just did some checking and they must play a sudden death format if there is a tie in Stroke Play. So this explains why he did what he did in order to accomplish his goal. It may not have been pretty, but the goal was completed."    Eagle

So a playoff was indeed required for the match. Having considered this a day and read the jist of comments, I'll throw this out. There is a way to concede the match by not being so obvious. If I wnat to "let" the other guy win, I can easily do so without the person having the "in your face" way of drilling a drive out into the range OB. In some regards I look at the "sportsmanship" as a somewhat selfish way, because clearly some people would (as indicated here) send kudos for the "selfless act."

But as a competitor myself, if I won this way, I would always second guess my own talent and ask if I really was entitled to go to the big tournament. And so in that way I would personally be a bit miffed because I would feel I didn't earn it, and was in some was cheated out of the possibility of winning straight up.

If we all step back a moment and think about it, all the chatter on line and even here on our FJ site shows that there is some angst in what was intended and what the final outcome really has become. I say again, while his heart was in the right place, some of this just doesn't bounce in his favor...

•  

I don't agree with what he did at all.  Would wants to be the charity case of a tournament?  If he didn't earn his way in, then he doesn't deserve to play in the championship.  It's college golf, not 8 year olds who all win a trophy.  You are there to compete with the best and play the best, not the 2nd best who gets a win handed to him. 

If I were the kid who was "let" win, I would decline or hit it OB as well.  I wouldn't want to win because someone felt sorry for me just because I was a senior.  I don't mean to be harsh, it was very generous of the kid but if you don't deserve it and didn't earn it, you shouldn't be there.  I am sure there were other kids in the same situation that didn't get the kind hearted kid as a competitor.

Don't want to sound angry or rude but I think it was a little ridiculous of his to throw the match so his competitor could go to the championship.  I wish them both all the best but I think you should earn your way into a competition, not be given it out of pity.

•  

I do agree with you ... winning because someone "threw in the towel" is no way to win. Sure it's a great way to advance but you really can't be proud of the fact ... You will always know someone else LET YOU WIN ...