Dancing with the Stars: Golf Edition

Dancing with the Stars: Golf Edition

•  

At the beginning of the SBS Championship, Stewart Cink made some interesting comments about whether or not golfers should show more "personality" on the course. Mr. Cink said many of the players personalities do not convey well during competition because most perform better while keeping their emotions in check.

I totally get that sentiment. I've been coached to stay steady in my emotions and not get too worked up over the highs, or the lows. "Stay off the roller coaster of emotions" is a statement I try to remember while competing.

I am a very different player during tourney golf and girly golf. For example, I usually don't sing my infamous golf songs while competing. However, during a 9-hole summer mixer with my golfing gals, I sing, drink beer, scream, laugh, dance, and sometimes hit shots out of the pond.

My point is that if you met me for the first time during some random competition, you might think I was pretty boring. You might even think of me as aloof.

As a spectator, I love seeing players get emotional on the course. However, I don't think players should be expected to "showcase" their sparkling personalities during tournaments. They are trying to play their very best golf and win. There is a great deal at stake. This is their career, not an exhibition.

Instead, golfers might want to explore other options to give their fans a glimpse of who they really are. For example, I'd love to see some professional golfers on the Ellen DeGeneres Show. Let them come out dancing with the audience. Maybe they could even play a silly game of mini-golf with Ellen.

SNL, Conan, Letterman, and Leno are also options. Get out there and have some fun. How entertaining would it be to see Camilo Villegas compete against Geoff Ogilvy on Dancing with the Stars? This may sound terrifying to some players, but I'm confident that fans would be behind them 100 percent. Even better, I think they would win over new fans and maybe even encourage a viewer or two to pick up a club.

Until then, I think the closest most golfers have come to dancing on national television is watching Justin Timberlake join Beyonce for "Single Ladies."

•  

Great post.  That SNL skit was great.  Thanks for including the link.

•  

Welcome to the ambassador level -  that was pretty fast.

GO HOKIES

•  

Interesting topic RWG as I recently read an article in Golfweek (I think) that mentions some of the LPGA players interest in performing on Dancing with the Stars...

A couple of the LPGA players mentioned were Christina Kim / Natalie Gulbis (of course) but that makes me wonder who on the PGA tour would be fun to watch try to dance on this show...

Suggestions...my first one would be John Daly or Fred Couples...

•  

I think the internet has allowed us to really get a feel for who some of the pros really are.  For example, twitter is a great resource to learn about Cink, Villegas, McIlroy, Immelman, Casey, Poulter, Fowler, Scott, Gulbis, etc.  They give you a glimpse into their lives, what they enjoy, their other hobbies, their family... whatever it may be.  I think I have new favorite players just because of their personality off the course.

I did like that SNL skit but did anyone see the one with Charles Barkley making fun of the Golf Channel and Hank?!  THAT WAS FUNNY!

• 1232 points

i think that if they were to get some  golf stars it would be funny to see those like Norman, Couples even teacher like Leadbetter and Haney i think that would be totally entertaining to see how far the get

•  

Go Hokies!

Thanks! It helps when you just bought four new pairs of MyJoys. I'm hoping there are many more to come. I'm thinking red for Valentine's Day.

•  

Spence,

I thought Norman too. I'm sure Couples would be pretty smooth on his feet.

I

•  

First off, CONGRATULATIONS  on reaching the Ambassador level in such a short time. As to the skit, it was very funny . As far as the players showing more of themselves and their emotions and backgrounds so the fans can get a better idea of who they are, I'm not sure that it's the best idea. We, as followers of many sports tend to idolize the players and when and if they stumble, (ie: MJ, KB and TW ), we really become disillusioned about both the player and the sport to some extent. Better that we follow the sport and cheeer the winners without getting too involved in their personal lives.

•  

EMK,

Totally agree that social media has helped us get to know the players better. I just think there might be some other means of introducing them to a bigger audience—not just us golf nuts. I  think asking players to show more personality during tourneys is extremely unfair. For some it comes naturally and that's cool. But others probably have a very different demeanor during "competition golf" than they do during "resort golf."

•  

eagle3,

Good points. I'm not asking anyone to be anything they are not. That can blow-up bad!

I just meant it would be nice to see their human side a little more. I think Mr. Cink was trying to say that he wanted folks to know him a little better, but he didn't think tournaments were the best place to do it.

•  

It is cool to find out more about pro golfers, and I love it when they put themselves in "outside the box" situations -- like Lucas Glover doing the Top 10 on Letterman. Lots of exposure to non-golfers there!

•  

Good point, GC. This is actually a program the Tour put in place several years ago with help from the PR agency I used to work for to take advantage of the attention around the majors. After every major, a Tour representative speaks with the winner about going to NYC for a media tour. Most are only too happy to do it because gives them a chance to do things they may not have done otherwise. I remember after Ben Curtis won the British he was on Letterman hitting golf balls from one rooftop to another! I was with Todd Hamilton at Letterman when he (and I) met Halle Berry. Both incredible opportunities for the player and the Tour/golf!

The problem is, for most of these shows, golf is not top of mind. It's only during the majors that the sport and its players attract the demographic these shows covet. So it's not necessarily that the players and the Tour don't want to do it, it's that the shows aren't always interested...unless there's a major story or scandal!

Regardless, it seems to be happening more frequently so hopefully this trend continues. You see more and more guys on sites like Twitter that allow fans to get closer and maybe Dancing with the Stars is the next step...

•  

I vote that Anthony Kim and Paula Creamer get on DWTS.... Clearly would be worth watching.

•  

I heard Norman is getting divorced or is this old news? 

Anyways, I'd like to see Freddy do it and maybe some of the younger guys as well.  I think a good start would be Freddy, Cink, AK, Sergio and IJP... I think it may be pretty entertaining to watch these guys try and dance... I would be the first to admit I have two left feet but I bet someone on tour has moves.