Where are the Ambassadors?

Where are the Ambassadors?

•  

Thanks for the tip, I will put it into use.  I absolutely hate driving in this stuff eventhough I have a large SUV.  I don't get stuck but it still isn't fun, especially when you have all the maniacs on the road acting like its the  middle of July.

What if I went from D to maybe 1 or 2 (down shifting)... would that have the same affect because when you do that, it still slows down your car and you don't even have to hit the break... don't know how good it would be on the engine though.  I know nothing about cars.

•  

No, you must put it neutral. By placing it in a lower gear you are still causing the drive train to push you forward. That is what you want to stop. By putting it in neutral, the drive train ceases to push forward and you will find it easier to steer and brake and stop quite a bit of sliding if it slides at all. We had a suburban and never had a slide with it by puting the car in neutral on icy roads.

•  

He should have said that you cannot put the car in neutral until you are completely stopped. If you do that during a driving exam, placing the vehiclle in neutral before stopping, the tester will fail you as they require your car to be in gear until you stop. Then you may place the car in neutral. Besides, 19 you're showing your age. Don't give away all our secrets. These kids couldn't drive a stick shift anyway. Just put it in gear and go now. Back when you and I learned, there was a clutch and brake. I don't think most know what a clutch is today. Probably clutch means a group of chickens or some other type of fowl.

•  

EMKelly0106

Thanks for the tip, I will put it into use.  I absolutely hate driving in this stuff eventhough I have a large SUV.  I don't get stuck but it still isn't fun, especially when you have all the maniacs on the road acting like its the  middle of July.

What if I went from D to maybe 1 or 2 (down shifting)... would that have the same affect because when you do that, it still slows down your car and you don't even have to hit the break... don't know how good it would be on the engine though.  I know nothing about cars.

Eric,

if you have ABS it creates a whole new scenario. My advice check out the manual and see what it says.

•  

Eric, you have to make sure when downshifting to 1 or 2 that you do it based on your speeds...I wouldn't suggest dropping into 1st if you are driving faster than 20mph.  2nd you can go between 20 and probably no faster than 35 without concerns to your transmission.

These are just my opinion speeds, I'm no Mr Goodwrench but based on my experiences those are my suggested speeds.

•  

Had a little ice today and had to put the neutral suggestion to the test...did work pretty good and will definitely keep this in the back of my mind when the conditions present itself...once again, thanks for the tip

• 3195 points

19hole

I can't agree with this statement. A manual transmission car is always put in neutral when you come to a stop. I have always owned manual transmission cars and both my wife and I took our drivers test in them. If this were true then neither one of us would have a license!

Thats different. However, if you are doing a driving test with a manual transmission equipped car and you push the clutch in and coast, you will fail the test. They expect you to downshift as you slow down, not just coast.
  •  

Holley, I have ABS on my minivan and that does not effect that method in any way. By just applying a gentle brake pressure, you avoid locking brakes and stop that infernal sliding.

•  

bholley

EMKelly0106

Eric,

if you have ABS it creates a whole new scenario. My advice check out the manual and see what it says.

If you step on the brakes hard you get the chatter/stuttering with ABS. That is not what you do. See my reply

•  

Please read from the experts at liberty mutual

http://www.libertymutualimages.com/ProfDavePublic/documents/ABS%20LP5039.pdf

•  

I do have ABS, I usually just hold the breaks when I slide (usually I am not going fast enough on bad roads to have to really worry about sliding too far).  I know you are supposed to hold the breaks and then you will hear the "grinding" type noise and just continue to hold until you stop. 

Should I not worry about the neutral thing if I have ABS?

•  

Kelly, No worry about ABS. Just lightly pump the brake pedal when in Neutral. that is all that is necessary. Otherwise you get that grinding noise. A very slight brake pressure can also be used. It is just a matter of what to use and when.

I would suggest that if you can, find a parking lot with ice and a clear area so you don't hit anything and try the above. I taught all of my 3 children this maneuver  and that is what I did when teaching them this. It works.

• 3195 points

EMKelly0106

I do have ABS, I usually just hold the breaks when I slide (usually I am not going fast enough on bad roads to have to really worry about sliding too far).  I know you are supposed to hold the breaks and then you will hear the "grinding" type noise and just continue to hold until you stop. 

Should I not worry about the neutral thing if I have ABS?

You should still put it in neutral even if you have ABS, moreso actually.  When the ABS system is working, it actually increase your stopping distance (assuming you are a driver who could control a car well enough to stop hard without ABS) as compared to a vehicle without ABS.

The theory behind putting the car in neutral is that when its in neutral you no longer have the engine trying to push you foreward, so the brakes have less force to overcome.