"Cold" Weather Mock

"Cold" Weather Mock

•  

Hey Chris and Mike

OK, we have had many chats about the possibility of colder weather gear. This weekend I played in pretty cold (39-46) weather and monitored the layers i was wearing. Had on a couple ColdGear mocks from UA and a compression t-shirt, plus my ProDry mock. I added a pullover from UA (cold gear) and was off to the tee. I ended up taking off the pullover because I just couldn't get the right "feel" during my swing. I thew on a DryJoys rain shirt, which helped a bit, but I still had on too much stuff. So here was my thought...

Add a layer, sort of a windstopping layer, to the ProDry mock. I think they are loose enough to accommodate the extra fabric and maybe they could be part of the "WinterDry" line? My rationale here is that I was just a few ounces off from where I wanted to be so I could swing properly, but didn't want to add layers.

Any comments, thoughts, insights?  

•  

Ya that a good idea i have had the same problemo. i wear a lot of stuff and it does not feel like my swing is right

•  

IT WAS IN THE MID 40'S WHEN I PLAYED THIS WEKEND. HAD ON COMPRESSION UNDER GARMENT, FOOTJOY PERFORMANCE MOCK AND LIGHTWEIGHT JACKET. IT WAS PERFECT UNTIL I WALKED UP A HILL AND BROKE OUT IN A BIT OF A SWEAT. i WOUND UP TAKING OFF THE SOAKING MESS THAT WAS THE UNDERGARMENT

I REALLY THINK SOMETHING BETTER CAN BE DEVELOPED OTHER THAN THIS COMPRESSION STUFF. IT  BASICALLY IS THE SAME FABRIC THAT JANE FONDA AND THE VILLAGE PEOPLE WORE BACK IN THE 70'S. NO BREATHABILITY WHAT SO EVER.

PLEASE FOOTJOY GIVE US SOMETHING BETTER

•  

A good cart heater should solve some the problems if you routinely play in that sort of weather.  At least you will only 3/4 the time then!

•  

I found something that may be of help in the colder climes. Several yeears ago, after being totally disenchanted with Compression garments that made me feel like I had been golfing in a sauna, one of my fellow golfers turned me on to MOCK TURTLENECK long sleeved shirts made of a cotton blend. I wear one under and short sleeve summer shirt and over that combo, I wear a windbreaker. I found that I was comfortable without being in a sauna. And if it did get too warm outside, by taking the windbreaker off, I was very comfortable without feeling chilled. And the mock turtleneck is not as bulky at the neckline as are the regular turtlenecks. Definitely for me, a comforatable combo.

•  

EMKelly0106

A good cart heater should solve some the problems if you routinely play in that sort of weather.  At least you will only 3/4 the time then!

Cart heaters are fine to a point. But when you get out of the cart, it is amazing how cold you feel and then getting back into the cart, you , at times, sweat whiile riding to the next ball location or while waiting for your turn.I know, i've been there.

•  

In the cold weather here I will wear a compression shirt (NOT UNDER ARMOR WARM GEAR) but either another manufacturer that make the standard compression shirt.  Over that I will generally wear a long sleeve t-shirt of some sort (sometimes just a short sleeve tee - just something to be a second layer) and than a FJ Mock Long sleeve with my FJ DryJoy jacket...if I need more than that to stay warm it's definitely too cold to play.

Those 3 layers plus the jacket are usually more than plenty...

Those UA Warm Gear compression shirts are too hot around the neck line no matter the weather and very uncomfortable as well.

•  

I wore a compression shirt from UA a couple times golfing with the same result each time, rubbing (especially in the arm pits area).  Even with a t-shirt on the way they sew their material leaves it bulky around the seams and rubs like none other. 

I rarely play in THAT cold of weather, but if I do it's usally a t-shirt, long sleeved polo and a jacket, nothing too bulky or out of the ordinary.  Usually I can stay pretty warm by keeping moving.  I also like to walk when it's cold, that keeps me warmer.

•  

What works for me is a basic compression shirt (not UA but nike) a s/s golf polo and a jacket. If it is really cold the polo will get replaced by a l/s sweater with a quarter zip. Overall that keeps me pretty warm and not feeling overly weighed down by clothing. As you can see by the picture the cold really is not an issue for me! :)

if that does not keep me warm enough then it is too cold to be golfing and you can find me in the clubhouse with a warm drink in hand!

•  

Will give that a try tomorrow Shaun as I try to tackle getting a round of golf in with the expected weather here in the Detroit area.

•  

bholley

IT WAS IN THE MID 40'S WHEN I PLAYED THIS WEKEND. HAD ON COMPRESSION UNDER GARMENT, FOOTJOY PERFORMANCE MOCK AND LIGHTWEIGHT JACKET. IT WAS PERFECT UNTIL I WALKED UP A HILL AND BROKE OUT IN A BIT OF A SWEAT. i WOUND UP TAKING OFF THE SOAKING MESS THAT WAS THE UNDERGARMENT

I REALLY THINK SOMETHING BETTER CAN BE DEVELOPED OTHER THAN THIS COMPRESSION STUFF. IT  BASICALLY IS THE SAME FABRIC THAT JANE FONDA AND THE VILLAGE PEOPLE WORE BACK IN THE 70'S. NO BREATHABILITY WHAT SO EVER.

PLEASE FOOTJOY GIVE US SOMETHING BETTER

Got to give it up to anybody that can reference the Village People on a golf chat and not have everybody bust into giggles. Sad thing is, I know exactly what you are talking about.

•  

And I used to own some of those Jane Fonda leotards and leggings!

I wear a loose-fit UA or Nike or Adidas cold gear long sleeve shirt; a polo, a sweater and a jacket. I pack a vest and a different weight jacket -- as EMKelly and you other Midwesterners know, the temp can vary 20 degrees from the start to the end of your round! You have to be able to adjust.

•  

Living in northern Mass, playing in southern NH, it was about 33 degrees at 7:00 AM on the 1st tee last saturday - miraculously no frost delay.

I wore cotton chinos, nothing special, although my buddy wore long johns. Up top, I wore a Nike (sorry) dryfit mockneck with long sleeves - nice & stretchy. Over that I wore a C&B wind vest (don't know the style, but a great basic - have navy and black, v-neck, don't like the collar on the FJ vest) and an awesome LLBean "Fitness Fleece" that has a quarter zip and is stretchy enough that it doesn't hinder my swing.

Top it off with ski mitts and disposable hand warmers. I stocked up at Target, in the Camping department. $1.99 for 2 pr.

My buddy wore a tuque, which would have helped and we walked - that helps too.

We'll be playing until Thanksgiving. Enjoy!

•  

I've delt with the cold all my life but I still am a panzie when it comes to playing or being in it.  I cannot stand the midwest winters and will be moving to a warm climate where this sort of thing will not be an issue in the future! 

But until then, I am stuck layering or just hitting out of the heated bays until the weather comes back around.

•  

golfchick

And I used to own some of those Jane Fonda leotards and leggings!

I wear a loose-fit UA or Nike or Adidas cold gear long sleeve shirt; a polo, a sweater and a jacket. I pack a vest and a different weight jacket -- as EMKelly and you other Midwesterners know, the temp can vary 20 degrees from the start to the end of your round! You have to be able to adjust.

Your parents should have been ashamed to make you wear the Jane Fonda stuff when you were only 3 years old.