Please tell me golf etiquette exists!

Please tell me golf etiquette exists!

•  

Yesterday in our mens league we were waiting for the group in front of us to clear the green to hit and here comes a ball into the trees (thank goodness of it would have hit us) and lands next to our cart, never hearing fore.  I waved back at the group on the tee and pointed to their ball and one in their group acknowledged the ball.  Of course it was not the person who hit.  When they approached us at the next tee box they spoke and did not say a word about the errant shot.  I did not mention that we had two balls in the fairway that were behind where his ball had landed and folks standing there waiting to hit.  When we got in, I did mention politely to him that he had hit into us and it was fortunate that he hit the trees or he would have hit us and he said it wasn't him it was somebody else and that he did not see us.  Remaining calm, I said it was you because I recognized you and it have the capability to hit it that far and and no one else teed off after we pointed out your ball.  He then laughed and stated that I was making something out of nothing and needed to let it go.  Never apologizing and acting as if it was nothing.  Now this is not the first time he has done this on the course.  These are the kinds of people that give golf at a muni a bad name and I hope that I never lower myself to his level.......when the ball initially landed by the cart, one of my playing partners, knew who hit it said, for gosh sakes don't get into it an argument with him when they pull up......natural born idiot I guess, or do some folks have to work at it?  Golf etiquette still exists, but not in everyone...... 

• 5249 points

Ahh, the myth of the genteel southern gentleman takes another hit...Chuck, I have also encountered less than hospitable folks recently and I spent the better part of three decades playing at Bethpage State Park on Ling Island, NY where the dramatically improved courses ans facilities that followed the first US Open staging on the Black course did nothing for the manners of the locals. I've seen fisticuffs break out over just the sort of incident you described and I suggested tongue-in-cheek sort of to the pro shop  and facility managers that they should permanently place rangers, preferably ex-NFL linebackers preferably to certain choke points on a few of the courses to keep the peace.

Nothing like a shouting match between foursomes/players to ruin the day...

• 5190 points

Sadly it happens all to often. It is disappointing everytime.

• 5249 points

While this isn't a story about etiquette per se, this story about Cameron Tringale and a post round score revision expresses precisely the kind of values that golf embraces:

http://www.pga.com/news/pga-championship/cameron-tringale-disqualified-pga-championship-after-scorecard-error

• 1978 points

No way around it Chuck.   Always going to be players that don't know or just don't care.    Just be lucky you didn't end up like this!!

• 3033 points

Unfortunately some people either don't get it or don't want to get it .

•  

I played in a Pro-Am a number of years ago and the group behind us hit while we were waiting in the middle of the fairway. The ball cleaned one of my partners off his feet when it hit him in the chest. To get there it passed my head by less than 2 feet! After we got that player medical attention, I spoke to the "Pro" in the group. His excuse was the player said he could not hit it that far so he did not see any problem with him hitting. He has no excuse for not yelling fore either. He was suspended by the PGA and never returned as a professional. Definately NOT the behaviour I expect and frankly was happy he left the profession.

My guy ended up being ok, but a huge bruse on his chest.

•  

It's amazing the lack of common respect that some people have.  A flying golf ball can really injure you, or even kill you if it hits in the right place.  It's always better to be safe than sorry if you think you could potentially reach the group in front of you.  I agree that mis-hits and hits that go longer than we expect happen, and in these situations a loud "fore" and an apology are always warranted.  

•  

Had this happen recently, group hit in my group standing in the middle of the fairway and the drive hit about 10 feet behind my buddy who was hitting his approach into the green. We all looked back and the guys were laughing. Two holes later I was waiting to go for a hole in two and the guys behind us are yelling to hurry up. I yelled back that I am waiting for the green to clear. I hadn't even addressed my ball when one of heir drives skidded past me (They were playing a few tees up from us). I looked back and again they were laughing. I calmly walked over to the ball and hit it about 200 yards into the lake left of the fair way :). They drove up cussing saying that was uncalled for and I owed them a ball and they were going to take care of me. I chuckled and explained to them that the next time they hit into me I was going to make it much worse that just loosing their ball. Sure enough, in 9 fairway they teed off and hit of the carts in our group, we could hear them laughing from the tee box.

I just happened to be friends with the Pro and the owner, when I told them what happened they took the guys carts when they were in the snack shop and left all their stuff where the carts were. The pro told me they were pressing charges on me for threats and that they would tell everyone what happened. Haven't been charged yet and the course had a record setting week last week. I think they are doing fine.  

•  

I have been hit by a golf ball and that Titleist logo stays on for a while and hurts somewhat......and Rick, that Pro was a disgrace to the profession and did not deserved to be called a PGA Pro.......Hey, Mike, I love it......some of these clowns think it is a joke hits balls at people.......I would think that intentionaly hitting a golf ball at someone would be some form of assault......sounds like some folks had a little too muck kick a poo juice......in my case Dave is just being his normal self.....all 5 ft 5" maybe 140lbs soaking wet of himself.......I do not get into altercations with people, at 6'3'' 250lbs, it's just not worth the time and effort.....a simple polite reminder and move on.......I smother them with kindness and a big smile and a deep voice.....

•  

"Now this is not the first time he has done this on the course.  These are the kinds of people that give golf at a muni a bad name and I hope that I never lower myself to his level"

Sucks when there are folks like that on the course..... most especially when they're behind you and you know they're going to hit in.

Anyway, I may have mentioned this before, but here's what had happened when I played a local muni nearby.  I was joined by two nice gents, a father and son visiting from out of state.  Our pace were just as fast as the front- sometimes waiting.  On the fifth hole we were on the tee waiting to play, a ball lands near us no one heard "fore", but no harm no foul.  The owner of the ball came and found his ball while we were playing- he never apologized nor he had any intention of waiting till we played.  He just got over the ball talking loudly with his pals and played- never saying a word to us.  No harm no foul, but it was odd, ...we kept on tailing the group in front and had our fun going.  Another incident, the ball rolled passed us on the fairway, but we were leaving anyway so no harm no foul again, but we're now looking back at those guys.  On the 9th green, we were putting, and three out of four balls landed on the green- 20-30 feet around us, but now we all thought this was crazy.  We all look back...  the four guys had brimmed hats... no one knew who they were but they were rude for doing that.  I told the father and son to leave the green right away and meet me on the 10th tee.  I gathered the three balls they hit on the green and I headed for the clubhouse and got a hold of the GM-  I told him the story and that he needed to secure our safety from these guys... The foursome came and followed me in the clubhouse.  To shorten the story, the brimmed hats left the course.  We got hot dogs and drinks on the GM and he comped the next round to be back another time.  (It pays to know the GM sometimes.)

• 1750 points

Whaql1
    Had this happen recently, group hit in my group standing in the middle of the fairway and the drive hit about 10 feet behind my buddy who was hitting his approach into the green. We all looked back and the guys were laughing. Two holes later I was waiting to go for a hole in two and the guys behind us are yelling to hurry up. I yelled back that I am waiting for the green to clear. I hadn't even addressed my ball when one of heir drives skidded past me (They were playing a few tees up from us). I looked back and again they were laughing. I calmly walked over to the ball and hit it about 200 yards into the lake left of the fair way :). They drove up cussing saying that was uncalled for and I owed them a ball and they were going to take care of me. I chuckled and explained to them that the next time they hit into me I was going to make it much worse that just loosing their ball. Sure enough, in 9 fairway they teed off and hit of the carts in our group, we could hear them laughing from the tee box.

I just happened to be friends with the Pro and the owner, when I told them what happened they took the guys carts when they were in the snack shop and left all their stuff where the carts were. The pro told me they were pressing charges on me for threats and that they would tell everyone what happened. Haven't been charged yet and the course had a record setting week last week. I think they are doing fine.

Mike, I would have done the same thing.  I would have hit it back at them or in the woods like you did for sure.  I don't like to be the small person or immature but that is pretty ridiculous.  I've played with people that played with ex local sports celebrities having big egos and hitting into players in the Columbus area.  It is just not needed

• 1461 points

It's sad some of the golfers out there don't have the proper etiquette and at times it drives me mental but what are you going to do?  I'm a little dude and will never have the guts to do anything but isn't it common sense? why would hit into people? what's the point of that?  If you don't have patience, then you don't belong on the course...  

Thankfully I've never had any issues like some of you but a few weeks back a bunch of guys (16+) probably having a bachelor party or something, all drinking and howling through-out the whole round..  Of course me and my buddy are playing behind them and we knew this was going to be a long round..  Then on the 2nd hole one of the groups started lighting off fireworks.  I was just stunned..  And not only that, I'm hard of hearing and there wasn't one hole where i didn't hear a loud scream through out my round..    sigh....

Life goes on...

• 4396 points

I've been fortunate in that everytime someone hit into us it was unintentional (usually coming from an adjacent fairway or someone getting an amazing carom off some trees).  Always an apology and it never happens again.

Etiquette exists in droves.  It's just unfortunate that there are enough folks that don't practice it that we have to see it often enough.

•  

Sad state of affairs.  Unfortunately there is always people on a course that only think of themselves.  I like to turn and wave a towel at them.  Then I will stomp on there ball as I go by.