Adams Golf closes Plano, TX operations, lays off 15% of global work force

Adams Golf closes Plano, TX operations, lays off 15% of global work force

• 5276 points

From GolfMySpy.com, comes a report that Adams is downsizing. Is this a company specific move or  the canary in the coal mine of the golf equipment industry?

www.mygolfspy.com/adidas-cuts-golf-workforce-closes-adams-hq

• 5235 points

I think it is the canary in the coal mine. They need to stop shoving stuff out the door and on to the shelves. They devalue their own products and those of the competitors. Most of the tier two and three companys have been following this business model.

It is time for a market correction. Dick's dropped their PGA Pros, and now Adams. Can the other Pump and Dump guys be far behind.

If I were an employee at any of those other companies I would actively start looking for a new gig.

Think housing bubble.

•  

Pistol

This is part of the new economy isn't it? Why are two "headquarters" necessary for companies that are a few states away from one another. For me really, this is neither surprising or a revelation. Happens all the time after an acquisition, especially one where the two companies are essentially the same, with equipment being at the core of their business plan.

Now it would have really been news if TMaG decided to move from California, a very expensive business state, to Texas, with a more business friendly posture. That would be eye popping and a big deal.

No canaries here. Golf has issues and again, TMaG is in the middle of it. Some of you may or may not remember the days when they were burying clubs in the ground (urban legend or fact?) because they had so much inventory and no place to sell it (1990's).

•  

Can't say for sure, but it might be company specific. I manage a Liberty Mutual Invitational tournament, where Adams' parent company is a national sponsor, and we are required to buy one product for our golfers from them. They informed us in early June that we needed to get our order placed immediately for our August event because the company was moving inventory platforms and warehouses and would be unable to ship during the entire month of July and first two weeks in August.

•  

TMaG at it again...

•  

Funny....Titleist / FootJoy doesn't seem to have these issues. Must be the quality products they offer and reasonable cycle times betwwen club designs. Two year club cycles seem to work well for them, unlike some that introduce the latest and greatest thing every 6 months.

•  

19hole
    Funny....Titleist / FootJoy doesn't seem to have these issues. Must be the quality products they offer and reasonable cycle times betwwen club designs. Two year club cycles seem to work well for them, unlike some that introduce the latest and greatest thing every 6 months.

With TM, it seems like there's a new driver about every 15 minutes.

• 1858 points

I never really understood how a pro at a retail store could be compared to a club pro anyway.

•  

It's catching up.......TM has those sales where they offer $100 trade in, but the poor merchant does not get their $100 from them until the end of the calendar year......their overproduction has to come to end at some point.......and Titleist, the tradionalist, just keeps mvoing along with happy repeat customers....that is the main reason I went 100% Titleist in 2013.....I played Adams, Nickent, TM, Ping, Cally, Wilson Staff but never Nike.  In 2012, I bought a new hot Cally 3 wood and with ninety days they marked it down $50......the ****ed me off, bought a Titleist 15* and never looked back........  

•  

I believe that TM bought Adams for certain patent rights.  It is too bad I always liked their hybrids.  Acushnet did sell the Cobra line a few years ago.  Expansion and contraction is in every business.  

• 1798 points

I agree with everything said above and has been in the works for years. I lost my job in the golf industry in 2006 when Galaxy and Dicks were opening everywhere. Our owner closed all of his 15 ProGolf stores and headed to retirement. TM is definitely rough on their core customers. Releasing 2 lines of clubs per year makes you crazy to pay full price for products.
  •  

I don't think it's that big of a deal in the golf industry, but it is not for the people who worked at Adams and lost their jobs.

I

•  

Not really surprised.  From a strictly business side, two headquarters in different parts of the country seem to not make sense.

•  

With you Bob....Adams makes some good hybrids and made a good slotline driver similar to the 915 Titleist Driver coming out in the  fall.......I hate to see good folks loose their jobs.......understand Titleist patented their slotline head design......topic of conversation of Morning Drive this morning......golf clubs gone wild.....

•  
    Ooh well, TM flooding the market... How far can technology really go to get you that extra 15 yards?