ESPN Coverage of Golf

ESPN Coverage of Golf

• 554 points

I was gonna post this last week but I forgot. Am I the only one that thinks ESPN does a horrible job of coverage? The British Open coverage was absolutely trash. They were front running so badly that for two hours we only saw 3 golfers and about 10 of them were in the hunt for a while. Did they not have enough cameras to follow more than 3 groups? CBS and NBC make ESPN look amateur.

•  

I do not believe they have a choice in the coverage.  I believe it was handled by BBC.

•  

In general, I do not mind Mike Torrico. Paul Azinger has his moments, but paired with Curtis Strange is just not a good mix in my opinion.

•  

Golf is such a difficult game to call, in my opinion. There is a lot of airway to fill in between shots. Just because you were a former player, doesn't mean you will be great at calling a round of golf. ESPN was okay, but they lack the artist that paints the picture within the picture we are watching.

• 554 points

I don't think the commentary is bad (except when Chris Berman iscalling it), I think they just focus on too few golfers. I like seeing more than 5 golfers on the final round... Does BBC handle the cameras at the Open?

• 4655 points

I think they just lack the real care that some of the other channels put into their golf coverage.  

• 2102 points

That is why when possible I watch the international feed.

•  

I agree, the coverage was not what I am used to. The commentators were a bit flat and the coverage of other players that weren't at the top of the leader board was nonexistent.

• 5657 points

Any new venture will have growing pains. I have no problem with Curtis Strange or Paul Azinger in announcer roles.  Both are seasoned veterans. Mike Turico was fine as well. When the ESPN producers have control of the show, it will be a better flowing telecast with a chance to see how well they can build a story....

•  

I was traveling so I didn't get to see as much coverage this year, but generally I don't mind ESPNs broadcast.  Tirrico, Azinger, and SVP are all quality announcers in my opinion.

•  

Eippert.1
    I don't think the commentary is bad (except when Chris Berman iscalling it), I think they just focus on too few golfers. I like seeing more than 5 golfers on the final round... Does BBC handle the cameras at the Open?

I'm not sure if the BBC handles the Open, but I know a lot of European events (not necessarily golf) are captured by European TV stations and the US stations just use their video stream.

•  

Not a Tirico fan, either. And don't get me started on Chris Berman as a golf announcer. I think the networks try too hard to make each tournament a "touchstone event," with all the reviews, back stories, etc. Remember Glory's Last Shot? So glad that tournament is toast.

•  

What drives me nuts about ESPN is that it is all about Tiger Woods.  Yes, I understand what he has done for the game of golf, but the game doesn't begin and end with his every move.

•  

Dallin
    What drives me nuts about ESPN is that it is all about Tiger Woods.  Yes, I understand what he has done for the game of golf, but the game doesn't begin and end with his every move.

Thank you...

•  

I think the Euro tour (not ESPN) does a much better job at broadcasting golf than anything here.  The Euros show more live shots, they show more players, and they talk less.  Sometimes I think less is more with golf commentators.  I'm looking at you McCord.  

I agree with Dallin and Chuck that ESPN needs to show less Tiger and more golf.  CBS and NBC do a much better job.  I really like how they get the caddy player discussion involved, and I'm also a fan of the swing breakdowns.  

On a side note I'm horrified to see what FOX does with golf.  I remember they dabbled in hockey and brought us the Red Puck, aka the worst idea ever.  If FOX leads off the US Open with a golfing robot accompanied by crashing sounds I will have to immediately switch the station.