Is it wrong?

Is it wrong?

•  

My last 2 rounds of golf  have been an 87 Friday & an 82 today.  Only problem is they have been played from the Seniors/Ladies Tee's. Being that I'm only 58 I kinda feel like I'm cheating but for the first time in years I am having FUN on the golf course. Having back problems all of my life I have this sub-conscious thing going on in my head that will not allow me to take a full swing as It's thinks I will hurt myself.  I have never been a long striker even when I did take full swings because the ball seldom went straight. I have modified my swing to just taking the club straight back & threw. Not a lot of distance, I usually take 2 more clubs than I use to on a shot but I made 5 straight pars today into a good breeze. My confidence level is soaring right now & my goal is to keep playing the Senior's tee's until I am truly comfortable. then work my way back to the whites. I really need a set of tee boxes between the reds & whites but that;s not gonna happen. I know longer am hitting 3 wood on almost every hole & it feels wonderful but my subconscious  is also making me feel like I'm cheating. Any ideas, comments?

• 5674 points

To answer the title of your thread, It is clearly and emphatically NOT wrong! You've answered the important questions and each one in the affirmative. First and foremost, you are having fun, correct?! And doing so while observing the rules of golf? And playing at a proper pace and enjoying the interaction with others in your golfing groupY ) ***s)? What more is necessary? Too often in all of our lives we are consumed by ego dictating and pushing us to respond to what we think are the norms and standards of success. And who set up those standards and norms? When you live in the moment and are enjoying the experience, i contend you have succeeded - Where you hit the golf ball from isn't relevant - Enjoying the process and finding happiness and enjoyment is.Keep having fun!!

•  

Not a problem at all, Sammy.  Even the USGA says you should play a tee that dives you a chance to have fun, based on the distance you can hit your tee shot.  Keep it up and you;ll find this game is much more enjoyable, despite playing from a forward tee.  

•  

Not wrong at all

•  

That's the entire idea of Play it Forward.  I don't see anything wrong with playing form the red tees. It also speeds up the game too.  The important thing about golf is to have fun.

•  

Sammy, Just chill and enjoy yourself.  The foursome behind you will appreciate it.  Just don't quite your day job.  By the way anymore acting gigs?

•  
    Not wrong at all.
    My opinion about it is to tee it up to where it's fun or at a manageable distance yardage, however, not where it's too long and wrong.

You're going about it the correct and the proper way.

Cheers!

•  

I think that having multiple tee sets for each golfer to play that match each of their abilities allows golf to be fun for them. You/We should all play from the tees that give us each the greatest enjoyment from golf.

I think it is a smart decision on your part to play the set of tees that match your game.

•  

Sammy, Sammy, Sammy.....

You've obviously read the "Play it forward" articles and stuff, right? You should play from the tees that you indeed have fun from and then not worry about it. I play from the white tees now for the very same reason. If I go back a box then I just shoot a higher score and hit longer clubs into the greens, which isn't any fun for me, or the guys I play with.

Pistol has it right. People get their egos all jacked up and have to play "the tips" in order to feel good about themselves. Then they spray it all over the county for crying out loud. Whats the point.

Go. Play. Have fun.  

•  

Nelbass
    ...for the first time in years I am having FUN on the golf course.

I think the quote says it all.  Having FUN is the key.  We all love this sport, and nobody enjoys struggling along and posting high scores.  Play from whatever tees fits your game, and the tees that fit your game can change from time to time based on where you are physically at the moment.  Kudos to you for moving up to keep the game exciting and have fun.  For some reason people have to play the longer tees when they play golf.  I don't know if it is a machismo thing or what, but it really shouldn't be.  I will play from whatever tees my playing partners are playing from.  I actually like playing it forward some times because it is fun to post some lower scores that you may not generally post from tees further back.  Keep the game exciting and play from whatever tees you find most enjoyable.

•  

Just don't quite your day job.  By the way anymore acting gigs?

Bob, I don't have a day or night job. Gave that up 4 years ago. Acting work has gotten slowlately, all the work is in New Orlenas now & it'a not worth the trip.

Thanks guys for all the support, just made my confidence level go up another notch.