Sun Protection -- Best Practices

Sun Protection -- Best Practices

• 4928 points

I was just reading an article on the high rates of skin cancer for people who are active in outdoor activities and a new article on the PGA Tour site caught my attention. It brings a bit of focus on the golf community and how baseball caps do very little to aid in sun protection. I started  do a bit of research and was curious to know what types/styles of non-baseball caps are being worn other FJC members.

Also, what are some of the other practices that are being employed? Arm Sleeves? Turned up collars for the neck? Sun glasses? Sunblock?  

I don't think I've ever seen a PGA Tour player wearing arm sleeps and today it's very rare to see a wide brimmed hat on Tour or at my regular courses.

• 5052 points

I have seen too much skin cancer (not me, other folks) from sun exposure. I this era of heightened awareness of the damaging effects of too much sun exposure, I make certain that before I go out to play I slather on a ton of sunscreen SPF 30. I try to apply an hour before and them again at the turn I reapply. As for he adware, one of my baseball style golf hats is always a part of the gear. I make sure to apply sunscreen to ears and neck since the cap provides no protection for these parts of the body.

I must say the first time I saw a touring pro who had spent a lifetime in the sun, I was shocked at the condition of his skin. Not pretty...

• 4852 points

I wear a baseball style cap on the golf course; a wide brimmed hat at the beach and pool. I tried a wide brim Titleist hat on the course I didn't care for it.

•  

Always sunscreen, especially the face and ears. For me it's mostly early morning golf, so a baseball style hat is good. I have a hard time even wearing a bucket hat, don't think I could get accustomed to wearing a large brimmed sun hat.  

• 1745 points

My father died from complications from skin cancer, so I'm acutely aware of it.  That said, I rarely wear a hat while golfing, as I don't like that it's in my visual field when addressing the ball or the extra sweat from keeping something on my head when it's already hot.  

I swear by the spray on sunscreen with mosquito repellant.  Saves a ton of irritation during the summer months.

•  

Don might I suggest you excerise your Miranda Rights (Carmen that is) and wear an appropriate edible hat. Plus after every good shot you can sing CHICA CHICA BOOM CHIC!

watch?v= vt5k7qxyv8

•  

Mini, I do most of what you mentioned.  Turned up collar, wide brim hat, sun glasses, and some UV lotions.

I just got a Titleist Aussie hat, TH3WAUS-9.  It's something I had to get used to, but it was easy because it was light and it worked real well keeping the sun away from me.

When the wind comes, the brim is a bit flimsy, I don't like that so much.  I found that I still changed to a baseball cap.

Because I was okay with the wide brim, I'm thinking I would be okay with the Aussie hats that can be soaked in water to help cool off the temps.

•  

Chris Garrett can speak personally to this: Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen, in addition to any other measures you can take.

At our women's golf store, we sell UV sleeves and shirts, and have skorts and other clothing that advertises some UV protection. The only issue with any type of UV clothing is that it loses its UV protection as you wear it and as it goes through the wash, even with hand washing.

So load up on sunscreen, apply it often, in addition to any other protective measures you take.

•  
    Going to start breaking out my umbrella on my Clicgear! Nutrogena spray on sunscreen.
    • 4928 points

golfchick
    The only issue with any type of UV clothing is that it loses its UV protection as you wear it and as it goes through the wash, even with hand washing.

So load up on sunscreen, apply it often, in addition to any other protective measures you take.

I hadn't thought about the shirts losing their protection but it makes sense.  Is that the same with the arm sleeves? How many washes would you say that they last before losing their protection?

The wide brimmed hat is still something I'm contemplating. It would seem like it would get in the way a bit but probably sometime I could/should embrace.

•  

Bruce, that hat is just too hard to match with my outfit du jour. I am wishing I could get Charo to walk with me and say cuchi-cuchi after a good shot though. :-)

•  

I've got enough experience with the dermatologist to say that the wide brimmed straw hats are the right way to go.  Yes, at first it takes some getting used to them, but in the long run it is definitely worthwhile.  I do wear baseball caps in the winter and spring, or if the forecast is for a very windy or wet day (like the FJAI at RICC).  On those sunny or overcast days I make sure to apply extra SPF 30 lotion to my face, neck and the tops of my ears, as well as to the small area on the back of my head that an adjustable ball cap exposes.  Combined with semiannual visits to the dermatologist and her extensive care for my delicate skin, I'm doing okay so far.  

• 1370 points

I just read an interesting article online about this and never really knew what the number in SPF (Sun Protection Factor) stood for.  For those of you that are looking for proper protection the number on the sunscreen represents a factor of 10 minutes of protection.  So SPF 30 (multiply by factor of 10) should provide 300 minutes of sun protection.  I found this interesting as I have purchased sunscreen in the past with incorrect intentions for what level I need.  

•  

TNT009
    Going to start breaking out my umbrella on my Clicgear!  Nutrogena spray on sunscreen.

Have already broke out the umbrella on the Clicgear on the east coast......these mid 90 days are tough.....carrying the cool rags or whatevery they're called as well......the umbrella really make a difference......looking for a battery operated clip on golf cart fan.....that does not cost $200 + accessory for Clicgear........

• 5052 points

DB9Boilers
    I just read an interesting article online about this and never really knew what the number in SPF (Sun Protection Factor) stood for.  For those of you that are looking for proper protection the number on the sunscreen represents a factor of 10 minutes of protection.  So SPF 30 (multiply by factor of 10) should provide 300 minutes of sun protection.  I found this interesting as I have purchased sunscreen in the past with incorrect intentions for what level I need.

Yep  - 600 minutes divided by 60 to the hour equals the slog that is muni golf on a beautiful weekend day!! Reapply at the turn to get full 6 hours of coverage...