Trump- Yapping Again

Trump- Yapping Again

•  

Seems we have his Twitter commentary about how bad Pinehurst was and how "it wasn't golf." Not sure how he can say that, since the course was spectacularly returned to it's original Ross Design. And the last time I looked, Donald Ross had a far cry more world renowned courses to his credit than Trump does.

The course was tough and stern for everyone. Had Kaymer not run off on the first two days, perhaps a different final score. Still a US Open. A wonderful Major.

• 2422 points

Agreed.  Just my opinion, but I thought the course was great.  The "natural area" seems more true to the spirit of the game and playing the ball as it lies than artificially fertilizing the heck out the grass and not mowing the rough for a couple of weeks.

•  
    Hated the course, no way I'm paying $500 for that......

Now for Rump, blowhard and no class at all!
  •  

It is really only a $195 surcharge when you stay there on a golf package. The rates quoted do include golf, room, breakfast and dinner. As far a Trump goes...don't get me started.

• 1735 points

Who is Trump and why is he relevant? 

•  

I played the course many years ago and I wouldn't hesitate to pay the money to play again.  I loved the "new" look.  Those greens don't need thick rough to make the course difficult.

Even if you hated the #2 course, the Inn, village, and other 7 courses make it more than worth the trip.

• 2089 points

Tough golf is the best to watch, IMO.  I could go with a few things about Trump but I am sure it would be deleted from the post!    

Tar Heel makes a great point too.  Other then Kaymer having 2 rounds of a lifetime, it would've been an extremely close open.  Either way, great golf to watch...

•  
    It was certainly more like watching a British Open than a US Open -- lots of bump and run shots and putting from 10yds off the green. I did enjoy it but was atypical look for a US Open.

I do think that the slope/contours of the greens were pretty severe given the speeds. And I suspect that just as how they are changing the grass on the greens to something more sustainable ( bent to Bermuda) right after the tourney, that they might flatten some of the contours to make the greens more playable for paying customers.

That said, it was only those crazy contours that saved the 'score' - only 3 finished under par.
  •  

I'd love to play there, just for the experience. It will be fun watching the women there this weekend,

•  

golfchick
    I'd love to play there, just for the experience. It will be fun watching the women there this weekend,

Absolutely Chris. This is one of the biggest wins for the USGA I think; having both the ladies and men on the same venue a week apart. Did you see all the ladies practicing next to the guys on Sunday? Sandra Gal coming on to the green to congratulate the winner? Lydia Ko talking to Sergio? Paula and Inbee giving an interview as they were walking the course. That was all extra special IMO, and something I would like to see more of.

• 4670 points

I think #2 was the epitome of what a golf course should be.  Not to mention set up in a way that it'll be far nicer for the environment (and the pocketbooks) to keep up.

I loved how it looked and hope courses take a note and realize that they don't HAVE to give folks GREEN everywhere along with 4" rough.

•  

I think it is a great idea to see the men and women teeing it up back to back on the same course.  I hope this works well and the USGA considers doing it again in the future.  Really neat to see some of the "crossover" coverage between the two tours this weekend.

•  
    I'd like to see a week break in between... The ladies deserve a pristine course!
    • 1458 points

I loved No. 2 for this year's National Open. We've become far too accustomed to the lush 'verdant' look.  Let Augusta National be Augusta National. For a few weeks in spring it's truly amazing. However, what most people don't realize is that Augusta is closed for the summer. Like it or not, this is the future of golf in America. Fresh water is the new oil and we waste far too much on golf courses. This is how golf is meant to be played.

• 1458 points

Trump? who cares...no one!