Phil

Phil

• 1698 points

WSJ reports Phil is being looked into regarding insider trading. Say it aint so.

• 5052 points

I agree. Proven allegations would run so counter to his public image! We know he likes to gamble, but this would be so over the top. Clearly financial gain isn't an issue for Mickelson and so I tend to think others may have played at the edge of this ethical cliff who were acquainted with Phil financially. Maybe an advisor or broker with whom he had dealings. But to engage in insider trading??!

•  

Phil says there is nothing to it......I hope so.......

•  
    I hope it's not founded.. If so, hammer him!! If not, offer apology!
    • 4925 points

Actually it wouldn't surprise me. He has a propensity to take big risks.

•  

These investigations are always so weird, they take forever and typically nothing is found. We hear about the big cases but from what I can gather so far, Phil is a person of interest due to the company he has kept and a few well timed trades. I am hoping it's nothing but this is not good pub for a guy who is trying to win a US Open.

•  

Insider trading is a crime.  If he is guilty, he deserves to be punished.  What will be very telling is whether he is granted immunity...

• 5052 points

Love to know how Phil knows Carl Icahn. And I have a very difficult time believing Icahn has anything to do with an insider trading scandal. The guy has billions which he has earned legitimately within the financial markets. I've met and conducted due diligence on Mr. Icahn's organization and team in a former life allocating capital to hedge funds. We did extensive due diligence and background checks on many within this company and found nothing that would predict this sort of activity...

• 4846 points

I will believe it when I see the actual prove.

Look at the BS Mark Cuban was put through. Cuban spent a lot more on legal fees to defend his good name than the fine "deal" he was offered.

I say hire Cuban's attorney and fight it.

• 1869 points

"Mickelson is not the subject of investigation and merely a subject of questioning of the multi-year investigation; as he was a friend of Walters".   Doesn't seem like he should have much to worry about, at this point.  

•  

The weight of fame has some many crazy twists. Never would have seen this one coming from anywhere.

It's a poorly timed thing now that the US Open is upon us, and he will be drilled by the media in every interview. What a pain....

• 1393 points

these types of cases are incredibly difficult to prove but, apparently, the prosecutor has an unbelievable track record of success in these types of cases. I hope this is unfounded but "I've done nothing wrong" is a lot different than "I've not knowingly done anything wrong."

• 1393 points

MarkWDallasTx
    I will believe it when I see the actual prove.

Look at the BS Mark Cuban was put through. Cuban spent a lot more on legal fees to defend his good name than the fine "deal" he was offered. I say hire Cuban's attorney and fight it.

At least Phil can afford the legal defense. Can you imagine if it were any of us?

• 4846 points

Professor3
    MarkWDallasTxI will believe it when I see the actual prove.

Look at the BS Mark Cuban was put through. Cuban spent a lot more on legal fees to defend his good name than the fine "deal" he was offered. I say hire Cuban's attorney and fight it.

At least Phil can afford the legal defense. Can you imagine if it were any of us?

I think very few people could afford the protracted legal battle this will take. I generally think there is a lot of bullying the little guy.

• 1649 points

Well he knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows this other guy, who once knew this guy, who is best friends with a guy, who knows the guy in question.  That is what I took from all this.  I am no fan of Phil, but this is crazy talk.