MY FIRST FITTING COMING UP

MY FIRST FITTING COMING UP

•  

On Tuesday the 13th I am Having my first club fitting.  After 55 years of playing this great game, I have finally decided to get fitted for irons.  When I was young we had only a few choices for clubs.  I remember my first set of really good clubs. In 1972 I bought a set of Wilson Staff blades.  your choices in shafts were basically regular or stiff......I got stiff shafts and had the lie bent to 2* flat.  After playing with those irons for almost 15 years, I moved on to Pings and many other brands since then.

Now, at age 64, I have finally realized that to play my best, I can not determine which club ans set up is right for me.  Technology passed me up quite a while ago and I find myself only confused by all the makes, models and shafts available.  To many options to try to do it yourself.  So.....Tuesday is a day I am really looking forward to....spending time with a good professional who can guide me to better golf.

• 1664 points

Have fun with your fitting.  I did one last week and was very surprised at what the outcome was.  Will be pulling the trigger on a new set of irons real soon.  

• 1776 points

I look forward to the results of your fitting. I am wondering how similar or different your set up will be afterwards.

•  

Good luck (better late than never) and hope it all goes great and you get the improvement you're seeking.

• 5177 points

I had an eerily similar experience to Bruce.My first irons were Wilson Staff blades, stiff shafts and if they were bent it was because of forces other than a club fitter! And they were purchased right around that same time period as Bruce's first set though I suspect my Mom paid less than Bruce - $25 for a used set... I still have them and the set included a one iron!

Then last fall, the folks at Titleist included me in an ad shoot for the then new AP 2 irons and I went through an abbreviated, but amazingly thorough and accurate club fitting on the range with Trackman operated, and data interpreted by, one of Titleist's expert fitters.

All I can say is Wow! I swing the club in a rather flat plane (influence of hockey, eh? GO BRUINS!!) and so unsurprisingly, we bent the clubs a bit flatter than standard. But the real revelation for me was shaft technology. Finding the ideal shaft took a bit of time, not a lot of time, but resulted it more distance and a higher ball flight trajectory. Pretty cool...

You will love the process Bruce!

•  

Have fun with all the equipment that available.  It's unbelievable how light steel shafts have gotten recently, the current lofts and overall lengths of clubs.  A 5 iron from 10 years ago is probably just like a 6 iron today.

• 4345 points

Go Hokies
    Have fun with all the equipment that available.  It's unbelievable how light steel shafts have gotten recently, the current lofts and overall lengths of clubs.  A 5 iron from 10 years ago is probably just like a 6 iron today.

If you're lucky it's only a 6-iron :)   Unfortunately the loft changes in clubs have made 3,4 and sometimes even 5 irons far harder to hit for many.

Going to a good fitter will do you right Bruce!   Don't go in with a specific mindset, be open.  He might suggest a different set make up.  Trust him.  And when all is said and done.  Let us know how it goes and what he recommends!

•  

Bruce - Enjoy the fitting!  I've only ever had a "minor" fitting at a demo day.  It was one on one with a launch monitor, but not nearly as in-depth as I would expect you'll be getting.  It's amazing how what appears to be a minor change in specs can have such a drastic change on your results.  I'll be curious to hear how your new specs compare to your current setup.

•  

Go Hokies

That's exactly what happened to me.  I upgraded irons last year for the first time in almost 20 years.  My current 6 iron has almost the exact same loft length of my old 5 iron.  But I hit higher and longer.  Amazing the changes that have come about over the last 10-20 years.

• 5050 points

Bruce, make sure to take your time and be relaxed during the process.

•  

Good for you, Gramps! Glad to hear you're treating yourself to a custom fitting. Hope all is well with you; let us know the results.

• 5062 points

I learned a lot when I got fitted. I have complete confidence in my clubs...I wish I had the same confidence in my swing.

• 2960 points

Good for you, best thing anyone could do IMO......besides a putter fitting. It will no doubt have you enjoying the game more and shooting lower scores.

•  

Bruce, glad to see you are finally going for a fitting. It will really help your game.

•  

Good for you!  I agree, it will help your ball striking... you're gonna have a great summer!