My Golfing Journey.

My Golfing Journey.

•  

So I've been playing golf for 22 years and have worked at my game, trying to get better, since day one. Scoring over a hundred when I started and getting down to the 70's the last several years. Five weeks ago, I shot a 71 at Coronado. First time under par on a par 72 course, Yea! Four birdies and an eagle, three bogeys and one double bogey. Had to birdie 18 with a 10 ft. sliding putt. This was great, but the next time I played, it was a disappointing 80. I knew I had to fix my home made swing and it was going to take time and not be easy.

On April 1st, I started with the first big change, flattening my back-swing. For two weeks I hit 150 balls a day with two or three practice swings before a shot, EVERY SHOT WAS A DRILL! No golfing at all during that time. Very hard to change long ingrained swing patterns but progress none the less. Then, while still working on this, I started playing again. I noticed a difference at this time but still needed a lot of work to do. The second week was better and the third even felt better yet. Last week stuff clicked and the swing was feeling really good. I had two 76's that were the easiest I could have shot, just didn't make any putts. But I was striking the ball pretty good for me, very few silly shots.

Today I played at Coronado again, 6:30 tee time, first out. Swing felt good and things went well, two birdies and one bogey on the front for 35. Then I birdied 10, 11, and 12, and two bogeys and another birdie for 34 on the back for a 69! First time in the 60's! Woo Hoo! It was from the white tees where the guys I joined were playing from. It's easier than being the only one playing from the blues. 6,276 yards, 70.1 rating and 117 slope.

I just had to share with my FootJoy family, I wasn't sure I would ever get under 70 and this was a very happy day for me. Of course I was wearing FootJoy from head to toe, my White and Blue Icon Pyramid Saddles are becoming one of my favorite pair. :-)

There is still a lot of work to do, but with this kind of improvement already, I'm looking forward to the future!

Thanks for sharing this with me and good golfing for all, Cheers!

•  

Don, well done on all fronts. I'm sure you're proud as can be that you're seeing the hard work pay off in the results. As you should be of course. And Coronado is a tight track, so to snag that score is a truly big deal.

Congratulations my friend.

Oh yes, I'm sure you loved posting the score when the SCGA computer said "this score is lower than your recent scores have been higher?"

• 1836 points

Congratulations.  That's an awesome story, thanks for sharing.

I'm going to through a similar period with some really nasty swing habits.  I sought out a new instructor and last week everything finally clicked.  Yesterday at my lesson my instructor said, "I can't believe I'm watching the same person."  Two random guys that walked by during my lesson complimented my swing.  That's a first.

The true test will be this Sunday, when I get my first round under my belt with the changes.  No way I shoot a 69, though.  Hopefully, I'll get there soon.

•  

Tar Heel

Don, well done on all fronts. I'm sure you're proud as can be that you're seeing the hard work pay off in the results. As you should be of course. And Coronado is a tight track, so to snag that score is a truly big deal.

Congratulations my friend.

Oh yes, I'm sure you loved posting the score when the SCGA computer said "this score is lower than your recent scores have been higher?"

It's worth it Randy, I hope to have a lot more low scores like that in the future! Play well on your trip!

•  

kmcmellen

Congratulations.  That's an awesome story, thanks for sharing.

I'm going to through a similar period with some really nasty swing habits.  I sought out a new instructor and last week everything finally clicked.  Yesterday at my lesson my instructor said, "I can't believe I'm watching the same person."  Two random guys that walked by during my lesson complimented my swing.  That's a first.

The true test will be this Sunday, when I get my first round under my belt with the changes.  No way I shoot a 69, though.  Hopefully, I'll get there soon.

Thanks K, just keep at it. Hard work is where the results are! :-)

•  

Don, what a fantastic achievement.  As you know, I've been working on my game as well, but have not yet had such an "Ah ha" moment.  Playing in the regional seniors event last week did prove to me that I have just as much game as many of the others in the event; I just need to fine tune my game from 120 yards in, especially adjacent to and on the greens.  I'm trying to get my average putts per round into the high 20's on a regular basis, by both chipping/pitching closer and by making more putts.  The tough range for me is 3-9 feet.  Lots of time on the greens, using drills found hither and yon.  I'll get there if I can just keep working it.  Putting was better during today's round, but still had 32 putts total, shooting 77 on a par 72 course of 6162 yards with a 69.9 rating and 125 slope.  

Again, congratulations on your improvement.

•  

pulplvr

Don, what a fantastic achievement.  As you know, I've been working on my game as well, but have not yet had such an "Ah ha" moment.  Playing in the regional seniors event last week did prove to me that I have just as much game as many of the others in the event; I just need to fine tune my game from 120 yards in, especially adjacent to and on the greens.  I'm trying to get my average putts per round into the high 20's on a regular basis, by both chipping/pitching closer and by making more putts.  The tough range for me is 3-9 feet.  Lots of time on the greens, using drills found hither and yon.  I'll get there if I can just keep working it.  Putting was better during today's round, but still had 32 putts total, shooting 77 on a par 72 course of 6162 yards with a 69.9 rating and 125 slope.  

Again, congratulations on your improvement.

Thanks Ted. Good putting makes it much easier, that's for sure. I had 25 putts, plus two from the fringe. Made lots of different lengths, but still missed six make-able 10 to 20 footers. I had 11 GIR's plus the 2 on the fringe, one of which I putted in for birdie, a zero putt! 9 one-putts helps! :-)

•  

Nice going Don.  Remember the next time you are there, you have been there before.  Now you can get your second 60 something.  I am sure collecting on the bets was pretty sweet too.

•  

Outstanding Don!  Great round and as the FJ slogan goes - The Mark of a Player!

•  

Nice, Don!

It's always a great news to hear a success story like yours.

Keep it up!

Well, I'm sure you knew that I meant, "Keep those scores down."

Best,

No'l

• 1776 points

69 is good from whatever tees.....Congrulations

•  

Thanks Bob, I hope it's the first of many to come. One of the guys I played with today is 77 and still hits the ball great. He's been playing since he was eleven and last year had a 70. So I hope to have over 20 more good years to score. :-)

And Thanks Todd, you know what they say, if you look good, you play good! It's easy to look good wearing FootJoys!

• 5177 points

Don, Your story is a wonderful and testament to the power of disciplined vision, determined practice with a goal firmly in hand. I.tip my.cap to you  and join you in acknowledging that hard work pays off! What led you to change to a flatter swing plane?

•  

Don, an outstanding accomplishment.  Congratulations on a job well done.  Hopefully you will have many more good rounds and many more good years as well.      

•  

Oops look out handicap