Hack Golf 15 inch cup

Hack Golf 15 inch cup

• 1869 points

Interesting idea to make the game more enjoyable to higher handicap players.   Thoughts?    Article found on golfwrx.com

• 1759 points

I'm not sure it would really help speed up the pace of play that much.  If it takes you 6 shots to get to the bunker, another 3 to get out, and you two putt instead of 3, is that really a help?

The above is said in all seriousness.  I'm not very good and the same has happened to me before.  Also that is why I'm currently taking lessons, with the hope of not shaming the game I love anymore with my terrible play.

•  

I'd quit golf before I played that!

•  

I don't see this actually encouraging anyone to start or continue playing.  The reasons people stop playing golf or don't start have nothing to do with the size of the hole.  And I don't think it's because "golf is too hard."  And a 15" cup isn't going to make it so easy everyone will want to play.  There are things that would make golf more appealing, number one being cost of equipment.  But TM (the main backer of Hack golf) isn't going to admit they charge too much for their products.  Think about how much money you have invested in your bag right now and think if you could put that much money out right now to start a sport you might or might not keep playing.  I know I couldn't do it.

With that being said, I would like to give it a try if a course in my area offered it.  But image if you got a hole in one.  Would you celebrate?  In the end, I would prefer regular golf.

•  

Todds right.  Reminds me of Caddyshack II, and while we are at it, let's just throw skill completely out the window....most of us worked darn hard to get our  handicaps down....and it was not from using gimmics like this.....urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr    

Smiley emoticon thumbs down

• 2718 points

Aw come on. Where is the clown and the windmill ?

•  

I would love to see this for begining golfers and high cappers. I will make a difference in the confidence of the player and give the ability to teach the younger ones the game with advantages. It may take them 7 shots to get to the green, but if it takes them 3 instead of 4 to hole out, it's faster.

•  

I'm just not sure it would be any more "enjoyable" than it already is for anyone- new in the game or seasoned.  Isn't it taking away from the game... Don't you think?

When a novice or a pro holes a putt from 6 feet on a traditional size cup, the difference might be just their reaction.  One has done it many times before and may act like he's done it before as it should be, and the other maybe more expressive about it.  Nevertheless, they are both in celebration in their own way.

In the same scenario with a 15 inch cup, I think you'll experience less.... yup, it'd be silly to celebrate a no contest against the course.

One thing is for sure in golf-  the range from power to finesse application are all learned and honed to a skill level.  On top of it, it is played outdoors, and therefore nature will be part of it, they'll play, too, or should we say, we'll play in that natural condition.

In the question about "enjoyable", I think everyone knows that it is all about how much you prepare yourself for your rounds ahead which would be a test on a given course; what research and sources have been applied for the preparation; and also the commitment we put in.

I really think that if golf was a sport that anyone can walk up to and play it well the first day, first, it wouldn't called golf, but it wouldn't be as popular as it is today.  Take TNT's answer for instance.  Once anyone have figured there's nothing to it, I'm sure that'd be the end of it.

For anyone who aren't able to put in as much the efforts to develop a skill, golf employs a handicapping system where it can be used to level the field or a competitor/opponent.

It's just the way golf is imho.

•  

The entire premise is interesting to me in a bunch of ways. For me personally as a golfer? No way. I've never known anything other than the current cup.

But for those new to the game that are younger? I do see this as an interesting concept, especially on courses where it can be accommodated. Surely it needs to be looked at more, and I'm not sure this is the one and final answer. But it sure does beat the part of waiting while someone putts 5 or 6 times and still isn't close.

• 1652 points

The course I work at is considering this for a family type event.  To get more new and younger people interested in golfing.  And maybe for a fun event for our men's and ladies associations.  But other than to attract new golfers and having a bit of fun, lets all stick to the old cup.  

•  

I'm thinking about this for my soon to be born daughter, if there was a cup like this at a course I could take her with me to play and she could putt and have a good time while I still get to hit some golf balls. Maybe have a large cup at one side of the green and a regulation cup at the other. If either cup is in the way just move your ball, I think it makes a ton of sense and wouldnt cost anymore than cups, a digger, and the flags.

• 1716 points

I played a course once that had a temporary green with a five gallon bucket installed for a cup. Believe it or not people still missed putts but they didn't miss the comments of their play partners afterwards.

•  

Played a course in Virginia with temporary green that had a9 inch cup.  Would not to play a big cup on a regular basis.

• 1409 points

Ya I have seen outings pushing this as a start of the year kind of "Kick Off" outing with the big cups.  I'm not thrilled about the larger cup idea personally but if I had a team that wanted to go win the outing regardless of the cup size I'd be down, haha.  That would be the ultra competitive side of me coming out.  

•  

I think this would change the game quite a bit and not for the better.  We have the same size hole and same rules for golf on every course we play, it's pretty much the only consistent features of the golf course across all courses.  Could you imagine the discussion at the R&A concerning adopting a 15 inch hole?  It has been 4 1/4 inches since 1891 and I can't see this changing.

Personally, I think this takes a lot of the skill out of the game.  Just think how many strokes are taken on the green versus the course.  Generally 1/2 of your allotted strokes are putting.  Would it move things along faster?   Certainly it would, but are you really playing golf then?  I think it is a great idea for kids to learn the game and help them hone their skills and not get frustrated while learning, but taking it to the masses?  I don't think so.