USING THE WORD CHOKE

USING THE WORD CHOKE

• 1012 points

Troubles me when i hear the word choke. When it comes to winning a major event or the millions of dollars in winnings that comes with a win the PRESSURE must be intense. Even your put for a league match for a win. So the pro that takes a lead into Sunday and shoots a high round to lose is not a CHOKE. It is the pressure of moment. So for the people who must use the word and you need a par putt for your best round ever and miss.

• 4511 points

Choke is the wrong word.  In many cases the pros do one of two things.  They either become too cautious and start missing shots or not giving themselves the opportunity to gain additional strokes.  Or they push too hard trying to open a huge lead.  We all know at Augusta (and pretty much most of the major venues) all it takes is one or two bad shots to really turn a round the wrong way.

I really enjoy seeing the pros who can take a bad hole or two in while in the lead on a Sunday at a major and deal with it and turn things around and still win.  That is some mental fortitude right there!

• 2042 points

So if a pro / amateur can't handle the pressure, and make a putt that he / she would normally make, what is it called then?  

•  

Dirt... Its called a miss. Who hasn't missed one of those.

Pressure hits everyone at one time or another. Even the most steely person has it happen.

•  

I agree that using choke is a little harsh.  Anybody who has played competitive golf knows how the pressure can build as you come down the line.  Multiply anything we as amateurs have experienced 100 fold to think about the pressure these guys are under.  Anybody can miss a shot or two in these situations and the whole thing can come unraveled.  That is just the nature of the game.  To say somebody choked is a bot of an overkill from my perspective.

•  

I understand what you're saying and if a player presses too hard to get that extra lead or plays too conservative and gets caught, that's not choking.  But if the pressure gets to you and you miss because of that, well, that's pretty much the definition of choking.  You might not like the word and I'm fine with that.

•  

I think I am with Dirt on this one, having happened to me on numerous occasions it can only be called one thing!

Harsh word, yes but is it true in a lot of occasions on the course, very much so.

•  

We have all done it and will probably do it again.  But we learn from our mistakes and grow stronger.  Speith will be fine and I bet will win numerous majors.  Such a great attitude.

TT

•  

With so many variables it is hard to tell especially with a sport like golf. Why is shooting a 77 (once referred to as shooting a Red Grange) on Thursday just playing bad and shooting a 73 on Sunday choking? The difficulty of the game certainly plays a huge factor and sometimes the harder you try the worst you make things.

Is it really so important that we can't let the outcome be the final say but have to pass a character judgement as well?

To misquote the Shadow "Who knows what lurks in the hearts of men"

Often times a miss is just a miss and should be left just as that.

•  

Devin_Gmitter
    I think I am with Dirt on this one, having happened to me on numerous occasions it can only be called one thing!

Harsh word, yes but is it true in a lot of occasions on the course, very much so.

Agree with you guys......"Choke", such a negative word, and according to the ole dictionary:  "to be seized with tension and fail to perform well".....to err is human...........Jordan is well beyond his years....just a mature individual.....

•  

bholley
    With so many variables it is hard to tell especially with a sport like golf. Why is shooting a 77 (once referred to as shooting a Red Grange) on Thursday just playing bad and shooting a 73 on Sunday choking? The difficulty of the game certainly plays a huge factor and sometimes the harder you try the worst you make things.

Is it really so important that we can't let the outcome be the final say but have to pass a character judgement as well?

As eloquent as ever my friend. Perfect reply.

•  

Personally I don't think Spieth choked.  He was just beat on a tough course that didn't yield as many birdies on the second nine as we are use to seeing.  But that doesn't mean choking doesn't exist.  I remember one time having a par put to win a match in a playoff.  I missed because the nerves got to me.  In other words, I choked.  Had I just made a bad stroke or bad read, I wouldn't say I choked, but just missed.  It's hard for an outsider to be able to tell the difference, but I think there is a difference between choking and missing.

• 2042 points

There is a fine line here, I believe we are all correct in some manor.   Yes choke may be a "harsh" word, but it happens.   To everyone.   A bet for a dollar or a million on the line, we all choke.  It may be just a miss, but if that miss has pressure on it and its something he / she has been doing very well and does it the majority of the time, its a choke.  This could be a very long thread!!

•  

Tar Heel
    bholleyWith so many variables it is hard to tell especially with a sport like golf. Why is shooting a 77 (once referred to as shooting a Red Grange) on Thursday just playing bad and shooting a 73 on Sunday choking? The difficulty of the game certainly plays a huge factor and sometimes the harder you try the worst you make things.

As eloquent as ever my friend. Perfect reply.

Definitely well said Bruce...I've been away from media for the last 24/hrs and have not heard the harsh "choke" word used toward Spieth...I'm sure we will see a Rory like turnaround and I fully expect him to learn from the Masters and move forward very successfully in upcoming majors.

•  

He looked at time to be steering the ball instead of swinging the club. Pressure often causes us all do it, especially, if we aren't fully confident in our swing, at the time. Still, he gave it his best effort.