USING THE WORD CHOKE

USING THE WORD CHOKE

• 1846 points

Judging by the scoring average of the field on Sunday Spieth played like a top pro.

•  

FOLKS, I THINK I MISSED THE TOURNAMENT.

IF SPEITH CHOKED WHAT DID EVERYONE ELSE STARTING THE TOURNAMENT DOY ) ***EXCEPT BUBBA),,,GAG AND PUKE?

HE SAID HE MISS HIT THE SHOT ON 8 AND MISSED CLUBBED ON 12. NEVER SAW ANYONE MISS CLUB ON 12.(lol)

I GUESS IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE IF YOU ARE IN FIRST PLACE OR LAST,,,BUT IT REALLY DOESN'T IN STROKE PLAY.

YOU PLAY 72 HOLES, AND ADD 'EM UP.

HAD SPEITH HAD THOSE SAME SCORES MIXED IN THE 72 HOLES SOMEWHERE WOULD IT BE A CHOKE EVEN THOUGH IT DIDN;T MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN HIS FINAL SCORE?

WAS HE "UP TIGHT",,,OF COURSE, THEY ALL WERE.

CONGRATS JORDAN ON A JOB WELL DONE.

GET 'EM NEXT TIME.

• 1676 points

if you want to see the word "CHOKE" being best symbolized, then look no further than this past winter Olympics and USA Men's hockey.  Spieth did choke if you follow the layman's use of the word, but he has the right attitude and will bounce back and win multiple Major titles.  

•  

If you have every played tournament golf, you would know the feeling as your stomach churns, your mind is sending all kinds of signals, and you swear you will never do this again.  When the round is over, you forget, and can not wait till your next start.  It's like a drug, with your adrenalin on hyper drive.

•  

His hips were firing too fast, very common under pressure. He also made a couple of great putts and a fantastic bunker shot. We are talking about a kid who can't even legally drink, he will be fine. Once he gets the ability to shave more than once a week he will be just fine.

• 5130 points

Any person who has played competitive sports knows what it means to choke. I don't have a problem with it and it's a learning experience.

Adam Scott choked at the British Open two years ago, came back and learned from it and then won the Masters. Rory chocked at the Masters in 2011 -- in fact he was the youngest player to ever hold the lead, but choked (80) in the final round. But he too came back and learned from it and won.  Spieth hit some great shots on the front 7 and to have a two shot lead go to a two shot deficit within two holes is choking. He missed puts, fairways, greens.  He'll be better for it and will win a major soon.

•  

lm14134
    Troubles me when i hear the word choke. When it comes to winning a major event or the millions of dollars in winnings that comes with a win the PRESSURE must be intense. Even your put for a league match for a win. So the pro that takes a lead into Sunday and shoots a high round to lose is not a CHOKE. It is the pressure of moment. So for the people who must use the word and you need a par putt for your best round ever and miss.

As we can all see from the first post in this thread, Spieth was never mentioned, it was not about him.

•  

I define choking in golf as John Van De Velde(?) at The Open..... Total meltdown and loss of *** function..  a baseball team that gives up a 5 run lead in the 9th... 100 yard sprint and you have a good lead at 90 yards and get toasted!

•  

Devin_Gmitter
    lm14134Troubles me when i hear the word choke. When it comes to winning a major event or the millions of dollars in winnings that comes with a win the PRESSURE must be intense. Even your put for a league match for a win. So the pro that takes a lead into Sunday and shoots a high round to lose is not a CHOKE. It is the pressure of moment. So for the people who must use the word and you need a par putt for your best round ever and miss.  As we can all see from the first post in this thread, Spieth was never mentioned, it was not about him.

Agreed.  Not sure how this turned into Spieth choking, but I don't see how you can say he choked.  Bubba just played better on the first nine and the second nine played too hard for anyone to make a charge.  I definitely think choke is an appropriate term for some instances, but certainly not this week.

•  

Tim did it

• 1988 points

tdogg21
    Devin_Gmitterlm14134Troubles me when i hear the word choke. When it comes to winning a major event or the millions of dollars in winnings that comes with a win the PRESSURE must be intense. Even your put for a league match for a win. So the pro that takes a lead into Sunday and shoots a high round to lose is not a CHOKE. It is the pressure of moment. So for the people who must use the word and you need a par putt for your best round ever and miss.  As we can all see from the first post in this thread, Spieth was never mentioned, it was not about him.

Agreed.  Not sure how this turned into Spieth choking, but I don't see how you can say he choked.  Bubba just played better on the first nine and the second nine played too hard for anyone to make a charge.  I definitely think choke is an appropriate term for some instances, but certainly not this week.

Exactly.    If Spieth would've had a 2 foot putt to win or tie, and missed, then its a choke.  But in this case, he was just flat out beat by Bubba.  

• 1012 points

Thanks Devin, not sure why this lead to Jordan

• 3051 points

It happens on tour without a doubt and it happens to weekend players as well.Choking to me , is doing something you normally wouldn't do when under pressure.  I don't believe  Jordan choked. He started out fine but it turned on # 8 when his 3rd shot checked up so quick leaving a tough 2 putt, he knew once Bubba got to the back nine with a lead he was in trouble.  Bubba could just overpower the course the rest of the way.

Jordan's worst play all day was on # 12 going right after the flag.

He will be fine and learned another lesson  that will help him along the way.

•  

lm14134
    Thanks Devin, not sure why this lead to Jordan

Probably because some people in the media said JS choked. Personally, it looked like Jordan's shoes were slipping on the turf and they didn't seem to fit correctly. Perhaps it was the shoes that caused the mishit shot on #8.

•  

I will admit that I have choked.  It's a harsh word, but it's accurate.  I wasn't misreading putts or getting bad breaks, I was frazzled. The thoughts of competition got the best of me.  I also believe Adam Scott choked in The Open last year.  While I wouldn't say Jordan choked, I will say that he didn't play his best game and the space between his ears seemed to be the chief contributor to his failure.

Choking happens in all aspects of life.  The first time you try to ask a girl out, your first job interview, your third sales meeting- it happens!  It's not pretty, and calling it something else doesn't change the fact, but it also builds character.  Every failure I endured because thoughts and feelings got in the way, no matter how painful it may have been, has made me better person.  Sometimes you need to feel the stage and feel the sting to realize you can overcome it.  Look at how well Adam preformed the next time he was in contention.  

Regardless of the verb we use to describe what happened 7 holes in, I don't doubt that Jordan will learn a lifetime's worth of lessons from last Sunday.  More importantly, I don't doubt he'll become a better player and a better person after going through it.