Foam Rollers -- Anyone Use Them?

Foam Rollers -- Anyone Use Them?

•  

I've recently been exposed to these and was thinking of getting one for home use. It's basically a hard piece of foam or coated pvc that you use to roll your muscles against.  While it's not a real massage, it's pretty darn good and can be used anytime. I've noticed lots of athletes carrying around smaller/portable ones and am thinking of buying this one.

Anyone use this one? Opinions?

•  

I have not used one, but some of my runner friends do.  They like it says it helps them recover and feel better.  If you don't want to invest in a foam roller, you can use a tennis ball as well.  Not as high tech, but at least give you an idea what a foam roller will do for you.

• 1362 points

I use one everyday. Not sure if you have a workout routine but rolling from the ankle up to upper back and lats before the workout should be part of the routine.  I usually start at the ankle and lower calf rolling up the back and sides of the legs with one leg on top of the other to add pressure. Stop at knots and spend some slow rolling on them. Knots are usually painful, that's how you can tell. Work your way up to the quads and hams all around. Then Glutes, lower back etc. Do myTPI and YouTube searches for foam rolling and you'll find out how important it is.

•  

I only use them to keep my hair perfectly coiffed. Must admit, they work very well.

• 2428 points

Tar Heel
    I only use them to keep my hair perfectly coiffed. Must admit, they work very well.

You have a picture of that, you'd like to share?

• 2129 points

The only foam I use is in top of a nice cold beverage.

•  

Tar Heel

funny guy ;)

Here's the pic:

• 370 points

I use one every day as part of my warm up for workouts.  I also use it a couple times a week in the evenings more extensively to help with keeping the "knots" out of the muscles.  

For me since I've been using it I feel I have less muscle soreness and my body feels much more prepared to work out when used in the warm up.  I would definitely pick one up and think it's a great tool for anyone to use.  There are a lot on how to videos on youtube that will help with technique for the majority of muscles and groups.

•  

I use a tennis ball for my feet. It works really well.

•  

Oh, Randy.

•  

Tar Heel

Ha Ha!  That's the same thing I though when I read the post!  Beat me to the punch on that one.

•  

I use them for my hairdo every day.  You can check my photo to see how well they have worked!

Seth

•  

Tar Heel

Below is Randy (left) and Rick (right) at the first FJ gathering in Chicago.  They were really styling at the hotel bar that evening.

TT

•  

YES, we have two. great for tight IT band and hammys.

I prefer "the stick" for my shins and calfs they get in tighter and loosen they really tight  spots.

•  

OUTIGER
    Tar HeelI only use them to keep my hair perfectly coiffed. Must admit, they work very well.

Below is Randy (left) and Rick (right) at the first FJ gathering in Chicago.  They were really styling at the hotel bar that evening.

TT

Why thank you TT. What a dashing swath I cut, n'est pas?