Slow Play numbers

Slow Play numbers

•  

There are a couple of threads that have people talking about slow play.  I saw this article and since the other threads weren't started specifically for slow play, I thought I'd start a new one.

This is done with a small sample size, but it's very interesting to see actually times to compare different golfers.  I hope someone does something like this but more in-depth and complete.

www.golfdigest.com/.../fact-check-is-andrew-loupe-really-that-slow.html

•  

I found this article very interesting, would love to see a run down of the whole PGA Tour.

Also it is great to see Na improving, hopefully it will curtail spectators unfairly chastising him.

•  

Yes, it would be nice to have it for all in the Tour.

I hope no more tour players follow suite to slow play... not that I don't want Johnny Miller to quit announcing.

•  

Devin_Gmitter
    I found this article very interesting, would love to see a run down of the whole PGA Tour.

Also it is great to see Na improving, hopefully it will curtail spectators unfairly chastising him.

I hate slow play, but I also hate to see players unfairly criticized.  I agreed and would love to see how the top 125 players pan out regarding routines.  I think this might put a new light on how the armchairs and spectators look at the players.  If they are slow then they should be penalized.   Fans or fanatics can be cruel.....

• 5052 points

I think that Kevin Na will be yesterday's news now that we have the "Endless Loupe" pre-shot routine to watch. On the plus side, Loupe and Bradley could take it all on this year's edition of "Pro Golfers Dancing With the Stars" competition....

•  

I've been thinking about this over the past 24 hours. Yesterday I watched 3 holes of the Valero, and finally turned it off because I couldn't stand watching the "Louper" incessantly going up and back to his ball. It is true, made me completely forget about Kevin Na!

So my thinking is this... Every week NASCAR has a drivers meeting before every single race. So does IndyCar and every other form of motorsports. What does this have to do with golf? Everything. Professional motorsports drivers are incredible professionals, just like golfers. They race the cars even MORE than a golfer plays each year. And NASCAR has an hour long meeting to go over the rules each and every week for the competitors. If you don't follow the rules, you get a penalty. Even if you follow the rules you may get one in post race inspection. They have timing loops all over the place for speeding (pits) and also if you're dawdling on track (the cars that are in accidents and try to earn points)

What's the golf tie in? Plenty. Have the same thing with every competitor before the start of a tourney every week. Go over the rules (can you say Whistling Straits and DJ) every week in advance. And tell everyone what the expected pace of play for that course should be for each nine holes. If you hit a "timing station" off pace you get a warning. Do it twice and you are "on the clock." Third time and it costs a stroke.

How can you do this? It's a simple timing system for crying out loud. And it only takes one knucklehead to mess up everyone else. So if you set up these "stations" you just might get everyones attention.

It cant hurt.....

•  

Randy - As I was reading your response, I started to think, you can't penalize players if they show up to a timing spot late because of another player.  Then I thought more about it, and that might be the best idea.  Peer pressure might be quickest way to get players to play faster.  No one wants to face a fellow player in the locker room if your slow play just cost them some money.

• 1698 points

Without TV coverage I doubt much would be said all.

•  

loupe may be annoying, but he's quite different and that difference coupled with his effectiveness on the course makes him worth watching for me. i think this guy has a bright future.

• 4846 points

Tar Heel
    I've been thinking about this over the past 24 hours. Yesterday I watched 3 holes of the Valero, and finally turned it off because I couldn't stand watching the "Louper" incessantly going up and back to his ball. It is true, made me completely forget about Kevin Na!

So my thinking is this... Every week NASCAR has a drivers meeting before every single race. So does IndyCar and every other form of motorsports. What does this have to do with golf? Everything. Professional motorsports drivers are incredible professionals, just like golfers. They race the cars even MORE than a golfer plays each year. And NASCAR has an hour long meeting to go over the rules each and every week for the competitors. If you don't follow the rules, you get a penalty. Even if you follow the rules you may get one in post race inspection. They have timing loops all over the place for speeding (pits) and also if you're dawdling on track (the cars that are in accidents and try to earn points)

What's the golf tie in? Plenty. Have the same thing with every competitor before the start of a tourney every week. Go over the rules (can you say Whistling Straits and DJ) every week in advance. And tell everyone what the expected pace of play for that course should be for each nine holes. If you hit a "timing station" off pace you get a warning. Do it twice and you are "on the clock." Third time and it costs a stroke.

How can you do this? It's a simple timing system for crying out loud. And it only takes one knucklehead to mess up everyone else. So if you set up these "stations" you just might get everyones attention.

It cant hurt.....

This is a pretty good idea. We should be able to bench mark "timing" and give the tour officials the latitude to allow for weather and or unforseen events.

•  

Somewhere sometime, even though golf is not a race, there should be a rule in place to make everyone responsible for the time they take at their turn to play.  It would only be fair for the field.

What would happen in an instance a group consisting of said slow on the clock players like Na, Loupe, Furyk & Rose started at the back of the pack in a tournament... Half time entertainment?  (LOL)

•  

I see slow play quite a bit at college tournaments, it's a real problem. Guys are not preparing for their shot when others are in the process of hitting, they are not walking to their ball a little ahead, they are not reading putts until its their turn. 6 hour rounds are pretty common. There is really nothing we can do about it, it's rare when we even have a rules official at a tournament to even try to enforce a slow play penalty.

•  

Whaql1
    I see slow play quite a bit at college tournaments, it's a real problem. Guys are not preparing for their shot when others are in the process of hitting, they are not walking to their ball a little ahead, they are not reading putts until its their turn. 6 hour rounds are pretty common. There is really nothing we can do about it, it's rare when we even have a rules official at a tournament to even try to enforce a slow play penalty.

OH the memories, one tourney my team played in was notorious for about 7 hour rounds. On one par three I remember 4 groups waiting on the tee to hit, those were the days! Granted the hole was a little unfair, if you didn't make your putt it likely about 20 feet away from the hole to the the front of the green even if you were going straight up the hill.  

•  

Devin_Gmitter

Whaql1

OH the memories, one tourney my team played in was notorious for about 7 hour rounds. On one par three I remember 4 groups waiting on the tee to hit, those were the days! Granted the hole was a little unfair, if you didn't make your putt it likely about 20 feet away from the hole to the the front of the green even if you were going straight up the hill.  

I had that happen as well, Devin! The changed the hole position mid round!!! I remember that Golf Stat wouldn't recognize the tourny as offiicial after they moved the cup.

• 11 points

I don't believe that he is really that slow. people are always in too much of a rush and don't realize how long it takes to play a great round