Vokey's Japan Cold Forged Wedges

Vokey's Japan Cold Forged Wedges

• 5177 points

Check out the Vokey offering in Japan. Beautiful...

www.golftoimpress.com/introducing-the-new-2014-titleist-vokey-cold-forged-wedges-for-japan

•  

Good looking wedges, but most all of vokey wedges are

•  

Very interesting, Pete.  Have you placed your order?  Thanks for the info.....  :-)

• 1833 points

Wow.  Those are really nice.  Not that the US versions are bad in any way.  I'd love to get my hands on one and try it out.  Realistically, though, even if I were lucky enough I doubt it would make a difference in my game.

I stink.  At golf.  Otherwise, I like to think my smell is pleasant.  Unless I just had Mexican food.  

• 5177 points

ChuckZ
    Very interesting, Pete.  Have you placed your order?  Thanks for the info.....  :-)

heh heh heh...I think Golf to Impress and Tour Spec Golf (the shop for purchasing club and apparel offerings) is a great site for golf club design enthusiasts. THe Japanese club manufacturing market is, from what I can see, far less centralized with numerous smaller craft operations. This site does a great job of detailed reviews of these craft operation offerings. i have to say, I simply love the esthetics of many of the offerings in Japan.Some of these clubs are simply put, works of art. And the performance stats of some of these manufacturers are eye opening. Of course, all these offerings come with a price...Anyone out there willing to part with $1200+ for a new driver?

I think for most of us, the balance of price, performance, and appearance is important. It is here that i think Titleist and FJ simply shine. I wil continue to gaze at some of these Japanese craft offerings..Call it CLUB P*RN!!

•  

All Vokey wedges are cold forged, n'est pas?

•  

I saw these and a couple places had some very good prices (essentially the same as the US version), but I have no clue on shipping costs.  They look nice and I heard they feel great, but I'm not sure if they are worth it over the US spec Vokey's.

• 5062 points

Nice looking wedges. I ti s always interesting to see what is being marketed into different market segments.

•  

Interesting artilce...I never realized there was a problem in manufacturing consistency that they needed cold forging to correct the issue...

•  

They always seem to have some interesting offerings in Japan and the prices really reflect that.  People in Japan seem much more willing to part with their yen the most in America are to part with their dollars.  I do enjoy seeing both the Vokey and Scotty offerings in Japan.  I guess we always want what we can't have.

•  

Nice looking but pretty expensive. Especially for something that I would change at least twice a season!

I would also bet that most of us could not tell the difference between these and the standard cast Vokey wedges.

•  

A club fitter near my home sells some of those those high end Japanese irons and a set can start around $3000 dollars.  I choked when he told me the price.  That does not include the wedges.  Golf is very expensive in Japan and when they come to America they have tendency to spend heavily on equipment and ship it back, therefore saving a lot of yen......as far as the wedges go, I'll stick with my SM4s and when time comes, move to the SM5s.....

•  

In '97, I owned a set of PRGR irons and also a PRGR driver- a Japanese golf company.  The set of irons were listed for $2000 and the driver was $1000.  My dad was still a pro then and he purchased it for me as would get a deal for $1800 for the irons and $800 for the driver.  But other Japanese golf equipment are even more expensive like the Honma golf equipment, they were more than twice the amount of PRGRs depending on the models... it could be even more outrageously priced.  It was an expensive lesson to find out that I still have to hit the golf ball, although the clubs were good and fine.  (When I changed grips on the irons, the shop showed me that the shafts were Fujikura where it later on got popular around 2005/2006.)

• 509 points

As good as the clubs are In japan, I would go broke way to fast!!

• 4345 points

Those are beautiful!  I was not aware of the insane price difference between golf equipment here and Japan.  That's crazy!  I won't feel so bad now when I'm looking to change clubs!