Augusta's Eishenhower pine is gone

Augusta's Eishenhower pine is gone

•  

As if we didn't already hate winter by now, it has claimed another victim -- the Eisenhower Tree in Augusta National's 17th fairway was damaged by the recent ice storm and had to be removed. I guess Ike got his wish at last. 

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2014/02/ice-storm-downs-augusta-nationals-eisenhower-tree-proving-th.html 

•  

TW is happy I am sure of that.

•  

Don't you think Augusta will have something in place by tournament time.

•  

Im sure a plaque and new tree will go in!

• 4967 points

Given the proceeds garnered each year from the Masters TV contract, the club could probably install san exact replica of the Eisenhower tree...What I really want to know is if any club members and their kids did any sledding on some of the awesome hills of Augusta National while covered in snow! As a native of the snow belt, I walked the hulls of #10 and  #11 and thought, Ohhhh! Can you imagine these hills with snow and a toboggan??!

• 1676 points

I read the story online yesterday.  Even my wife, whom doesn't golf, was sad about it after I explained the history of the tree.  What a shame.  

TNT's idea of a plaque would be appropriate, in my opinion.  How do you replace such history with another tree?  

•  

That will really change the way that hole gets played this year.  But long term, I think they will replace it with another tree.

•  

I'm pretty sure they are out right now looking for a tree that looks exactly the same to replace it. It will be just like the tree on 18 at Pebble Beach. Folks were up in arms about that, and now no one even talks about it any more.

• 4821 points

I read that they had a "back up" tree for situations like this. However, I don't know if the back-up tree suffered the same fate.  That hole will sure be a lot easier for the pro's if they don't find something to block off the left side of the fairway.

• 4132 points

Yep, I agree with Go Hokies and Tar Heel.  They'll have something in place.  We all know how Augusta is about just about everything.

•  

Consider it done........just a bump in the road........patrons at the masters probably won't even notice it this year.....

•  

I read this, what a bummer.  I'm sure they'll make something classy and in good taste.

•  

Augusta is like Disney. They can turn that place into make believe once a year, and everyone will Ohhh and Ahhh....

•  

I too read that they had been grooming a replacement for the IKE and in this article it said not to be surprised to see it 210 yards from the tee on number 17 at the masters this year.....IN MEMORY....

•  

Randy, it is like Disney, I agree.  The only bad news is I can't get in the line, I'm just not tall enough.

Sad news regarding the tree, but I agree they will have something in the works that will fit in just right.