Winter practice

Winter practice

• 3688 points

Living in the frigid Northeast we dont have a lot of opportunity to play golf.  Practice however is available from a number of local teachers and locations offering simulators.

My instructor just got his hands on a Trackman so the wife and I decided to spend the winter (once a week) honing our golf game before the season hits.

This past weekend I've was working on squaring the clubface and stopping the flip I have.  He was also able to show me that I don't always get enough rotation in my lower body.  In the past I've been able to see that I wasn't coming into the ball steep enough.

I find having the stats and the video helps me.  Sometimes just being given a "feel" doesn't work.  But being able to see the feedback is a huge thing for me.

How do you train in the winter?

•  

That's terrific. You know that your practice is worthwhile.

• 4131 points

I like the stats. Using launch monitors, tracking your rounds, range finders all give you greater insight to your game which hopefully helps lower your scores.

• 1475 points

Videos and trackman are always a good help.  Always nice to work on the game even if its not outside.   I just wish I had something like that around here, have to drive 3 hours just to find a decent simulator.   As for me I just hit into the net with impact tape or dry erase marker working on my contact and putt around on the carpet.   Not a lot, but better than not swinging a club for the winter.  

• 3688 points

I hope that it proves out on the course.  It also keeps the golf withdrawal symptoms away !

Now if only I could take a trip south and actually get a few rounds in.

•  

Well done. Always good to keep training and hitting the shots

•  

In the winter... well, when it's cold... I mean, this winter doesn't count for the normal California high desert weather... It's usually windy and unbearable to be outside, I stay indoors and putt on a 4x15 putting surface.

•  

winter training for me has been shoveling snow.....

•  

What club are you hitting?

•  

I train by playing as much as I possibly can.  When I lived in norther VA, I found a simulator place where you could pay by the hour and either practice or play various courses.  They had some intriguing games to play, including one with a tower where the object was to break the windows int he tower.  Tough!

• 3688 points

Whaql1
    What club are you hitting?

That's a 7-iron.  I do most of lessons with a 6 or 7 and this winter it's been the 7.

On occasion I'll pull the driver out just to see the numbers but otherwise its just the 7 this winter.

• 3688 points

pulplvr
    I train by playing as much as I possibly can.  When I lived in norther VA, I found a simulator place where you could pay by the hour and either practice or play various courses.  They had some intriguing games to play, including one with a tower where the object was to break the windows int he tower.  Tough!

We have two folks with Trackman around the area that I'm aware of and at least three places with simulators.  So we have options in the winter which is very nice.  This is the first winter I've dedicated any real time to practicing.  Usually I'm out on the snowboard more so than anything, but this year I've been out far less and swinging the golf club far more.

•  

Some indoor practice is on the to do list but shoveling snow keeps getting in the way...Another round of snow is in the forecast for tomorrow....ugh !

• 3296 points

I would also focus on your fitness and flexibility.

• 3688 points

girlsgotgolf
    Some indoor practice is on the to do list but shoveling snow keeps getting in the way...Another round of snow is in the forecast for tomorrow....ugh !

We actually have a few 40 degree + days ahead of us before it gets cold and snowy again.

miniwarmth
    I would also focus on your fitness and flexibility.

Also a good point.  And that's one thing I try to keep up on, not for the golf though (it's a nice perk that it helps the game).