R&A OKs rangefinders for amateur events

R&A OKs rangefinders for amateur events

•  

From Golfweek this morning -- what do you think? If you play in sanctioned amateur events, would you like to be able to use a rangefinder?

Distance-measuring devices such as laser rangefinders will be permitted for use during R&A amateur events this year, the organization's Championship Committee announced Monday.

"It will not be introduced for The Open Championship or any qualifying event for The Open Championship," the R&A said in its statement, adding that the committee is not intending for the change to serve as a recommendation for other tournament organizers.

The Championship Committee is exercising the option under a local rule that has been in effect since 2006.

Naturally, players were quick to react via their Twitter accounts – even if they aren't amateurs.

• Luke Donald, @LukeDonald: "In competitions good players always want yardages to the front of the green, allowing a laser just adds another step

Donald: Lasers are gr8 4 rounds w/ yr mates & 4 caddies 2 check yardages in practice rounds but I dont think they should be used in competitions.

• J.J. Killeen, @jjkilleentcu: "Making DMD's legal speeds up play plus it's funny when someone lasers something in the background and airmails the green by 50 yds"

•  

Wow! That is big news!!

• 6 points

Lasers are also great when on the driving range to create club distance recordings.

• 2420 points

Good call cant hurt the amateur game at all can only help.

•  

I think it is a smart ruling and in the best interest of golf.  In most invitational amateur tournaments I play in we are allowed to use rangefinders as long as they do not  include the slope.  I think it is quicker that figuring the yardage from a yardage book.....

•  

ChuckZ
    I think it is a smart ruling and in the best interest of golf.  In most invitational amateur tournaments I play in we are allowed to use rangefinders as long as they do not  include the slope.  I think it is quicker that figuring the yardage from a yardage book.....

After years of borrowing them from playing partners I FINALLY picked one up, very excited to have it once all the snow melts!

•  

Amen to the snow melting.  Wonderful device to own.

• 1344 points

Interesting move, I think I like it!

•  

Remember. this is just the R&A -- not the USGA.

•  

yeah but they usually follow suit with the R&A

• 3296 points

golfchick
    Remember. this is just the R&A -- not the USGA.

Am confused -- what's the news here?  Isn't this just the same as USGA rule and something that's been permitted since in both 2006?

www.usga.org/.../rules_answer.asp

• 4617 points

Not sure the USGA would lies that characterization that they usually "follow" the R&A.. They think very highly of themselves and their inventiveness, originality, and keen attention to the good of the game..Just ask Keegan Bradley, Adam Scott, Tim Clark and others about the path blazed in putter use!

• 1475 points

a 2nd amen to the snow melting.     Def like the idea of allowing them though.  Nothing comes to mind for a reason why they should not be allowed.      

• 2385 points

with pace of play being an issue the use of rangefinders may aid in shortening these competition rounds.  I can see the USGA following suit and the NCAA for college tournaments which can use some speeding up.  

• 1166 points

I have been reluctant to get one but I guess it's time.