Help me break 95

Help me break 95

• 447 points

My best is 95 i need tips to do it consistanly help

• 5067 points

Welcome cheesesauce to the FJC. I am sure you'll get a lot of ideas and tips on how to improve your game and swing. Here is mine: Go to the golf blog written by DJ Watts. DJ is a Canadian golfer who started a blog cheonicling his education in finding the best golf swing he could find. Eight years later, he has distilled his ideas about the mechanically correct swing into a DVD you can purchase where he outlines his ideas. His genius is finding an efficient swing motion that properly utilizes your body will not injure you and is entirely natural. This is NOT a modern Tour swing restricting hip motion and contorting the back. One need look no further than the ranks on pro tour 20 somethings with bad backs and other injuries  - 20 years old and your back is injured? Not good..

In any case, check out his swing ideas at: www.waxgolf.com You may also find You Tube videos of his swing to see if this is something that makes sense to you..

Good Luck! 

• 2495 points

i have been reading an ebook by Andy Chao called 4 keys to Breaking 80 ( my next threshold) and would suggest another book of his -- The 4 keys to breaking 90.  Might as well shoot for an aggressive target.  the book is not a swing or necessarily a mechanics book but worth a read if you can access Amazon ebooks.

He mentions 4 keys to break 90 as follows  

1-- Always get the ball on Play

2- Around the green Always get the ball on the green on your first try

3- always 2 putt or 1 putt each green

4- treat every shot with equal importance

Thats the first 4 chapters and then he goes on to explain as well as expand on these covering the various topics from driving to putting, short game. practice , club fitting course management, golf equipment and conditioning.  A friend used it and began breaking 90 after not very often breaking 100.  I just picked up the book this off season on breaking 80.  Cost is like $3.00 for ebook.  Good Luck  

•  

Not sure what tees you are playing but tee it forward if you can. The game is intended to be enjoyed and there is no shame in playing a tee or two up. Only a handful of players here in the forums that should play back tees at any course.

•  

Buy and watch Tom Watson's DVD set. Amen.

•  

Get hooked up with a local PGA Professional. Talk about your game goals and how much time you have to work on your game. Another important topic is to discuss your tolerance for change in your game.

After this the two of you can delevope a plan for game improvement.

One your own, start looking objectively where you lose shots during a round and focus on these areas one at a time.

• 1869 points

Biggest thing for me when I was first starting was to control my attitude, frustration.   I finally got it through my head that I stink, and need to laugh off bad shots instead of getting upset, then making bad shot after bad shot.  Now I am consistently shooting in the 70's and enjoy the game more than anything.   The head game is one of the most importants parts of the game, IMO....    

• 4201 points

19hole has it right.

Start by seeing a pro.  Even if you only see them once or twice, take to heart what they tell you and show you.  Most people who hang around 100 have some very fundamental issues (posture, grip) that can be worked on with a teacher.  Once your fundamentals are right, they can work on swing path, ball positioning.  They also help determine if your clubs are appropriate.  Yours might be too short, not have enough loft and various other issues.

Once you have those issues sorted it becomes mental.  Playing smartly within your limits.  Do you hit a fade every time and end up in the woods?  Well stop aiming down the middle and aim left.  I found for me, once I stopped trying to hit the ball a mile I gained a TON of control.  I could still poke it out there, and the 10 yards less I was hitting it was actually beneficial because I could find the ball!

Lastly, practice, as much as you can.  Practice your fundamentals.  You dont need to actually hit a ball, use a full length mirror and work on your posture, your grip, your swing plane.  And then get out there and work on your short game and putting.

There are lots of avenues to improving your score.  You just need to figure what exactly is wrong first.

• 1765 points

I agree with 19hole.  Get some lessons with a PGA professional and practice, practice, practice.  I'm similar to you, my scores are pathetic.  But best thing I did last year was get lessons and practiced a lot.  I had a couple of months where my scores continued to improve.  Unfortunately, in the latter part of the year, my swing abandoned me again.  

Once the weather breaks, I'll go back for more lessons and lather, rinse, repeat.  

•  

See a PGA Professional and try to find a Master Instructor....we have a MI at our Muni and he videos the lessons and breaks down the weaknesses of his pupils......don't expect overnight results, because as everyone has said, it will take practice.....again, we all can use professional help with our game........having troubles with the shanks and I talk to our MI weekly.....

• 420 points

First things first, course management is a huge part of scoring well. If you hit your tee shot offline don't try the "hero" shot out from behind the trees, take your medicine and safely pitch back out to the fairway and try to salvage par or bogey at worst. Secondly short game is where you score, practice your game from 50 yards and in the most. Make sure you have a few different shots from around the green such as a flop, bump-and-run, and a pitch that will check for you. Then hit the putting green as much as you can, most amateurs don't realize how many strokes they give away with the flat stick. One of the best drills I know is to take either a practice stick or your driver and lay it down from the hole out and put a tee in the ground in four directions around the hole, this gives you a look from all four sides and different breaks on each putt. Then take three balls at each location and don't move to the next till you make all three. Once you have this done move farther away from the hole, 15-30 feet and start practicing lag putts. If you can put a lag within 3-4 feet of the hole, and you've practiced a lot from in that range you should have no problem 2 putting most greens and saving yourself quite a few shots out on the course.

Best of luck, and hope this helps.

Breks

• 2785 points

Besides the tips you have recieved thus far all I would add is  always use 1 more club than you think necessary and concentrate on posture and tempo more  than swing speed.

Practice time is very important so don't waste it just banging  balls. practice with a purpose.

Good luck and play well.

• 4943 points

Hi @CheeseSauce, welcome to the FJC! Lot of great discussions here.

@Pony mentioned a book by Andy Chao that I really like. Not so much of an swing instruction book but more of an approach. I like his unassuming, direct style.  

www.amazon.com/.../B00BZ96KX6

• 4931 points

Lessons form a qualified professional not some yehoo at the range.

Course management is another good suggestion. When I play smart it saves me balls and strokes.

• 1418 points

All great points and there are a lot of different ways to get there.  I think that the fastest way to improvement is working on your game from green to tee.  Most people starting out spend the whole day at the range hitting the driver and wonder why there score is not improving.  The great players are great short game players and some of them just happen to be long hitters as well which helps.