Switching from Cleveland to Vokey Wedges?

Switching from Cleveland to Vokey Wedges?

• 3293 points

How many of how have made the switch? I've been using Cleveland wedges for years and am due for an update. People seem passionate about both.  

• 4131 points

I changed form Cleveland to Vokey wedges. I didn't like the "Dot" loft and bounce" system. I liked the greater number of loft and bounce combinations for Vokey, the finishes on the Vokeys, and the most important thing for was I prefer the way the leading edge looks on the Vokeys.

I don't like the grips than came on either manufacturer and upgraded before I took them home.

•  

I had been using Cleveland wedges for years and made the switch to Vokey's a few years back...been very pleased!

•  

Always been a Vokey fan..... Good move, just get fit!

•  

Ah Mini, a vexing question.

I have been a Vokey sedge user for over 15 years now, and my use of a Cleveland product was very limited. Let me give you this insight...

Last year I had a new set of irons fitted for me. They are not Titleist, but TM brand. My club fitter is a former tour player and club fitter of the year in SoCal this past year. When we reviewed the stuff in my bag he told me to NOT consider any other wedges but Vokey. Brett told me Mr. Vokey is a brilliant clubmaker and an even better person. I think you'll hear this statement echoed by a bunch of people in ensuing posts.

So Vokey is a smart choice for your scoring clubs.

•  

TNT009
    Always been a Vokey fan..... Good move, just get fit!

Todd makes a good point, when moving to Vokey's important to get fit into the right shaft, grind etc... when you get the best setup for wedges via Vokey in your hands the performance and difference on the course is incredible!

•  

I concur.  Vokey has great range of bounce/loft options that can fit into your game.  I was happy with the SM2's but the SM4's I moved to (and went to higher bounce) really took it to a new level.  Can't wait to see more info on the SM5's when they show them at  PGA show!

•  

I have never been a Cleveland wedge fan, always a Vokey guy. I have done a lot of fttings and moved many to Vokey from other wedges. They are clearly the best out there.

•  

I actually started with a Cleveland wedge.  When a friend left a Vokey in my bag, I got to try it.  I then gifted my Cleveland and bought a couple of Vokeys... never even looked back.

•  

I was always a Cleveland player, but I'm going to be moving to Vokey this year.  Think about it this way, do you want a wedge made from a company that makes a lot of things?  Or do you want a wedge made by a "company" (I consider Vokey to be a seperate entity from Titleist) that does nothing but make wedges.  Vokey puts all of their R&D dollars and all of their time into making the best wedge possible.  Cleveland has to be concerned with a much broader range of products.

•  

Chris92009
    I had been using Cleveland wedges for years and made the switch to Vokey's a few years back...been very pleased!

Am in agreement with Chris....best wedge decision I ever made...love my Vokeys.......

•  

miniwarmth
    How many of how have made the switch? I've been using Cleveland wedges for years and am due for an update. People seem passionate about both.

I left Cleveland about 4 years ago...best decision I made...much better feeling product.  

• 688 points

I use Callaway X Forged vintage 52/56/60.  I'm considered a slider (according to Vokey website), I tried a Vokey 60-04, but couldn't make it work for me so I went back to my Callaway 60-10 MD/C grind

•  

RMH49
    I use Callaway X Forged vintage 52/56/60.  I'm considered a slider (according to Vokey website), I tried a Vokey 60-04, but couldn't make it work for me so I went back to my Callaway 60-10 MD/C grind

You a are likely a slider because you are already playing a high bounce wedge, the difference between a 4 and a 10 is HUGE!

• 704 points

RMH49 your basically going between bounce for a slider in the 04 and bounce for a digger in 10, a slider takes no divot really at all, there will be contact with the ground but really no chuck of grass flying, so when a slider gets a wedge with lots of bounce the wedge will some times skip of the ground into the middle of the ball and cause some thin shots which no one wants.  what you need to do is get fit, have someone take a 56/11 which is a medium bounce for a sand wedge and put some lie tape on the club and hit a couple 50 yard shots on a lie board.  If the tape shows markings on the leading edge that would mean you are a digger and you will need more bounce, if the markings are more to the back edge of the tape that means you are a slidder and need less bounce.  For a correct fit the markings should be in the dead center of the tape.  This fitting will aslo show you that you will probably need to bend your wedges flat or upright which will also help your misses!