Zach Johnson's Plumb Bob Alignment

Zach Johnson's Plumb Bob Alignment

•  

I listed to Johnny Miller critique of  Zach Johnson this week regarding his use of the plumb bob during the TOC.  Seemed each time Miller would say something negative about this style being ineffective for the conditions on Maui, Zach would read it perfectly and drain the put.  Not a real fan of Miller as a commentator......how many in the FJC use the plumb bob technique?  I do and feel it works for me.....

• 1364 points

I've tried it, but wasn't very successful with it.  If it works for you, or anyone else, I say go for it.

Chuck, FWIW, I agree with you about Johnny Miller.  I have respect for what he accomplished as a golfer and father, but he kinds of reminds me of Bill Walton as commentator.  They both speak seem to speak mainly in superlatives like it was either the greatest shot ever, or the worst.  I find it tiresome after a while.

•  

ChuckZ
    I listed to Johnny Miller critique of  Zach Johnson this week regarding his use of the plumb bob during the TOC.  Seemed each time Miller would say something negative about this style being ineffective for the conditions on Maui, Zach would read it perfectly and drain the put.  Not a real fan of Miller as a commentator......how many in the FJC use the plumb bob technique?  I do and feel it works for me.....

If you know how to do it properly it most certainly can give you a general idea of the slope of a green.  What I see is most people do it wrong!

Depending on the toe hang of your putter the shaft could lean in different directions.  You must find the angle of your putter face where the shaft it perfectly straight up and down, If you don't follow plump bob a door jam.  Spin the putter around as you are hanging it in front of your eye, wherever that putter is straight up and down remember that face angle of the putter and ALWAYS hold it that way when bobbing.  You must also always use your dominant eye only and hold the putter with the opposite hand. 

Sounds a bit ridiculous but it works!

• 2420 points

Whatever routine works for you sticks with it ,no matter what anyone say's. I have heard people say plumb bobbing  doesn't work , I dont use the method. IMO wether it works or not is irrelevant, really all that matter's is if it's part of your routine and it does not slow down play go ahead and do it.

Miller is paid to give his  analysis and point of view but he crosses into the blow hard region on occasion.

• 1362 points

I use it when I can't see / read the slope. It picks up the subtle slopes especially near the hole. Definitely use the dominant eye only.

• 688 points

Not a fan of Miller, either. Always negaitive comments, or the "It should be done this way". I tried the plumb bob method, but it didn't work for me. I think I'll try what "gmitter" recommended, then give it another try. Looking from a distance as we walk up to the green, or kneeling down works for me.

• 3676 points

i've never been able to get the method down comfortably.  So I just do it the old fashioned way.  I guess!

• 4617 points

I really don't have a problem with Miller's comments. He is blunt to be sure and sometimes is completely off base. But his is colorful and truly owned at one time some of the best ball striking ever. His putting, as he will concede, was atrocious on more than one occasion. So to listen to his critique of a putting stroke or methodology can be hard to take, i agree. Plumb bob? Yep. I find the technique works well in identifying general slope and severity. Putt speed of course makes all the difference in what the break will be....And yes, no side saddle two-eyed squint - Proper technique is essential for a prper read.

• 572 points

I agree with all about the plumb bob. Personally I rarely use it, but it does work as far as an information tool.

As for Mr Miller, He should keep ALL of his "putting comments and instructions" to himself. During his career, he was one of the worst putters on tour.(he once said it was so bad he putted every putt during a competetive round with his eyes "closed".  The reason he has those victories, his iron play was out of this world. His proximity to the hole was about 3 feet or less.

I wish they would find someone to take his spot, for the most part, i try to ignore him.

•  

Devin_Gmitter
    ChuckZI listed to Johnny Miller critique of  Zach Johnson this week regarding his use of the plumb bob during the TOC.  Seemed each time Miller would say something negative about this style being ineffective for the conditions on Maui, Zach would read it perfectly and drain the put.  Not a real fan of Miller as a commentator......how many in the FJC use the plumb bob technique?  I do and feel it works for me.....  

If you know how to do it properly it most certainly can give you a general idea of the slope of a green.  What I see is most people do it wrong!

Depending on the toe hang of your putter the shaft could lean in different directions.  You must find the angle of your putter face where the shaft it perfectly straight up and down, If you don't follow plump bob a door jam.  Spin the putter around as you are hanging it in front of your eye, wherever that putter is straight up and down remember that face angle of the putter and ALWAYS hold it that way when bobbing.  You must also always use your dominant eye only and hold the putter with the opposite hand. 

Devin:  But then you have to putt the ball......and then that has to do with touch and speed....right.....I can read them all day long, but if I don't get it to the hole, plumb bob is out the window.....lol

•  

Devin_Gmitter
    ChuckZI listed to Johnny Miller critique of  Zach Johnson this week regarding his use of the plumb bob during the TOC.  Seemed each time Miller would say something negative about this style being ineffective for the conditions on Maui, Zach would read it perfectly and drain the put.  Not a real fan of Miller as a commentator......how many in the FJC use the plumb bob technique?  I do and feel it works for me.....  

Thanks, DG!  I get that the shaft should be perfectly vertical and not in a slant- also using my right eye- dominant.

I'm afraid to ask but I'm still not sure what I'm looking for... I would really love to learn this technique.  But for many attempts, I've not gotten it.

Thanks.

• 704 points

Not a big fan of Miller on TV!  And I have never tried that method but have played with a couple guys back home that due.  Some of them are great putters and others are still just as bad.  Just like everything else when your dealing with putting its whatever looks good and feels good thats what will work

•  

Devin_Gmitter

Great point!  I have been using plumb bob technique since I was a junior...works every time!

•  

noeldaof
    Devin_GmitterChuckZI listed to Johnny Miller critique of  Zach Johnson this week regarding his use of the plumb bob during the TOC.  Seemed each time Miller would say something negative about this style being ineffective for the conditions on Maui, Zach would read it perfectly and drain the put.  Not a real fan of Miller as a commentator......how many in the FJC use the plumb bob technique?  I do and feel it works for me.....  

Thanks, DG!  I get that the shaft should be perfectly vertical and not in a slant- also using my right eye- dominant.

I'm afraid to ask but I'm still not sure what I'm looking for... I would really love to learn this technique.  But for many attempts, I've not gotten it.

Thanks.

Learned to Plumb Bob from my grandfather who was a contractor (carpenter) who passed away many years ago at the ripe young age of 96.......he never played golf, referred to it as "cow pasture pool' and a waste of good farmland.......a man brought up in the depression and we lived on a working farm with him.......a great man......

•  

I've never used the plumb bob technique and honestly, I don't know how.  Can anyone elaborate as to what to do, what to look for, and how it works?